Home inspectors perform building inspections before properties are sold to ensure they are up to code and safe to inhabit. These individuals are responsible for evaluating a house’s structural components, electrical wiring, plumbing systems, air conditioning units, and security systems. After inspection, they will flag any necessary repairs and complete a report for review.
A home inspector will work with real estate agents and their clients, traveling to different homes for work. They need to be detail-oriented and able to multitask well. Home inspectors should also have excellent communication skills and a strong understanding of building codes, laws, and government regulations.
Sample job description #1
Join our community! We’re looking for a Property Inspector to perform inspections on residential properties to determine condition and appropriateness for addition to our portfolio of rental properties. Perform reactive maintenance on properties within our portfolio to provide best in class service to our residents while controlling costs. And represent the company in a professional manner to Sellers, Real Estate Agents, Investors and Internal Partners.
What you’ll do
- Perform initial inspections of residential properties utilizing proven methods combined with the heavy use of technology to provide real time, comprehensive reports of current conditions, needed repairs and marketability
- Provide input on budgeted repairs and best practices to bring homes to Rent Ready conditions
- Provide marketing photos and renderings utilizing industry best platforms
- Investigate reactive maintenance issues, determine the most cost effective and customer friendly resolutions and perform the needed repairs
- Provide customer centric service to all key stakeholders
Who you are
- 2+ years of maintenance technician experience with the ability to learn and utilize numerous devices and app based platforms
- 2+ years of experience as a home inspector in the Minneapolis market
- You have a Home Inspector License/Certification
- Customer centric service professional with a proven record of the ability to interact with all types of customers
- Experienced with performing home inspections to determine the condition of a property
- General knowledge of your local real estate market
- Ability to estimate cost of certain repairs that may be found during the inspection process
- Ability to communicate effectively in both verbal and written forms
- Technology savvy
- Desire to operate in a high energy, fast paced environment
- Desire an opportunity to learn and grow in your career
What we value
- Build better. Always challenge the status quo, constantly look for ways to improve across the entire organization.
- Focus on impact. Ruthlessly prioritize and continue to ask: “Does it scale?”
- Community first. We always look for ways to make our applicants, customers, and teammates feel more at home. We are the steady & trusted source for members new and old.
- Feedback obsessed. We are constantly looking for feedback (from customers & teammates) in order to find ways to improve our experience across all facets of the organization. We never settle for the status quo, we consistently drive progress and growth by challenging our mindset and iterating our processes.
- Move fast. We are less afraid of making mistakes than we are of losing opportunities by moving too slowly. We are a culture of builders & innovators.
- Be an owner. You are the expert & ruler of your domain. If you see something broken, fix it or work with the team to make sure we are always at our best. Always look for ways to improve organizationally and personally.
Sample job description #2
What you will bring to the table
- High School diploma or equivalent and/or experience in a hotel, property management, and or customer service based profession preferred
- 1-3 years of related experience
- Must have own vehicle
- Must have valid drivers license
- Must speak English
- Bilingual in English/Spanish is a plus
- Must be a great communicator, self-starter, go-getter and think outside the box
- Must be comfortable with technology to include working with G Suite
- Must be able to work in a very fast-paced and deadline-driven environment
- Detailed and organized
What you will be doing for ABC Company
- Strong emphasis on interacting with guests, owners, and staff in order to provide status updates on projects.
- Basic knowledge of light maintenance is preferable as you will be required to change light bulbs and inspect standard appliances for proper functionality
- Verifying that the cleanliness of our vacation homes meets ABC Company’s high standards
- Providing technical support, product information, research, and quality assurance guidance
- Executing a preventative maintenance program that will promote a sense of well-being and aesthetic appeal for guests and owners
- Creating maintenance work orders in our property management system
- Regular inventories and inspections of unit assets
- Quick turnover of units with back to back bookings
- Function checks for all lights, appliances and HVAC system as well as serviceability of furniture and cleanliness of linens and towels
- Check for and report damages within units prior to the next guest arrival
- Purchasing replacement items for units and stock replenishment, assuring adequate stock on hand for high use consumables and high turnover items
The Vacation Home Inspector that we hire must be a self-motivated professional able to work in a high paced environment. In addition, the Vacation Home Inspector must have a positive attitude and a strong desire to be part of a growing team. We are looking to add customer service-minded professionals to the ABC Company family so if this sounds like you please apply today!
Sample job description #3
We’re searching for a full-time, Licensed Professional Home Inspector to evaluate properties and perform property inspections in accordance with TREC guidelines! You’ll assess all aspects of the home, take note of any damages that need to be repaired, and provide a full report for every client. Our ideal candidate is incredibly organized and enjoys helping people. If this sounds like a job you’ll love and you’re looking for a position with lots of schedule flexibility, start your application today!
- Assess the property to see if any damages exist or repairs are needed in the home, such as an update to the roofing, HVAC units, security systems, electrical wiring, plumbing, structural components, or other building code updates
- Catalog each damaged fixture or system in need of repair so there are no surprises for buyers or sellers
- Compile and organize inspection results into a report that will give all parties a clear understanding of any potential issues that were identified
- Respond to clients’ inquiries quickly to keep them informed and provide superb customer service
- Strong multitasking skills and organizational skills
- High school diploma or equivalent required
- Valid driver’s license and able to travel by car
- Well-acquainted with basic computer programs and email applications
- 1+ year of previous work experience conducting home inspections or working in construction field
Sample interview questions
- What do you feel is the purpose of the home inspection?
- Are you familiar with the building codes in this area?
- Can you describe issues with electrical circuits and wiring you often find?
- What information do you typically require from homeowners?
- When inspecting a home, what is the first thing you do?
- What is your process for inspecting a new construction site?
- Can you tell me about some structural defects you’ve encountered?
- Can you describe the most challenging property inspection you’ve performed?
- How do you ensure that you keep up with construction regulations?
- If you discovered a serious problem during an inspection, how would you handle informing the client?