What Does a Receptionist Do?
A receptionist manages the front desk of an organization. They are typically the first point of contact for customers. They must have a friendly personality and excellent communication skills as they greet customers and direct them to the appropriate locations. Keeping a clean, presentable reception area is important, and outstanding customer service skills are a must. They also answer phones and screen and forward incoming calls. They must have excellent phone etiquette. Receptionists also typically perform a number of other administrative tasks such as receiving and sorting mail, directing incoming emails, scheduling meetings, traveling, and making sure the front office has the necessary materials and supplies.
Receptionists may be required to issue visitor badges, log all incoming and outgoing customers, and follow all safety procedures per company guidelines. Clerical duties, including filing, photocopying, transcribing, and faxing are typical tasks for receptionists. They should be proficient with computers and be able to work with office equipment, like fax machines and printers. Receptionists need to be organized, able to prioritize tasks, and have good multitasking skills.
Are you a job seeker?
of job openings
and apply online
National Average Salary
Receptionist salaries vary by experience, industry, organization size, and geography. To explore salary ranges by local market, please visit our sister site zengig.com.
The average U.S. salary for a Receptionist is:
Receptionist Job Descriptions
As a Receptionist with ABC Company, you will present a professional greeting/interaction as the first point of contact to visitors in person or by phone at the lobby. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- As a Concierge/Receptionist, you will create a unique, personal, and memorable experience
- Provides information and resources by identifying and clarifying guest and employee needs, answers questions, gives directions and instructions
- Anticipates services required by ascertaining mood and style of guests; identifying options before being asked
- Greet all visitors and directly assist people when appropriate and refer to others when necessary
- Answer and direct phone calls when needed
- Ensure guest review of safety video and answer any safety questions
- Work in coordination with Security Officers and reviewing security policies
- Comply with all company and regional policies
- Draft routine business letters and documents using proper format, punctuation, grammar, diction, and style
- Sign for and contact appropriate person(s) of arriving courier and/or small deliveries
- Maintain adequate office supply inventory
- Make copies and uploading as requested
- Ensure receptionist area is kept in clean and professional order
- Maintain ethical, professional and courteous relations with all visitors and contractors
- Continuously develop knowledge of and build relationships with vendors and contractors
- Provide general administrative or clerical support as needed
- Willingness to learn new skills and expand duties
- Attendance/punctuality – arrive at work on time ready to perform responsibilities
- Demonstrate effective time management skills by planning work and handling multiple priorities
- Accomplish daily responsibilities and long-term projects as expected by Supervisor
- Fully complete job responsibilities and documentation to the standard communicated by Supervisor and check own work to ensure the intended result is accomplished
- Participates in educational opportunities; maintaining personal networks
- Exhibit a professional appearance
- Communicate effectively both verbally and written to inform, ask questions, and solicit feedback to effectively carry out responsibilities
- Maintain communications with Relief Receptionist
- Maintain communication binder containing processes, systems, and general information for the Lobby Receptionist role
- Consider how actions and behaviors will impact others in the workplace
- Interact with others constructively to achieve the group’s goals, objectives, and standards
- Interact with customers (tenants, owners, visitors, other employees, and contractors) to create a level of service and professionalism that exceeds the customer’s expectations
- Follow up to ensure customer satisfaction
- Remain flexible to meet changing needs
- Apply principles of rational systems to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of variables in situations where only limited standardization exists
- Enhances department and organization reputation by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests; exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments
- Poses and practice exemplary oral communication and customer/guest care skills
- Interpret instructions furnished in written, oral diagrammatic, or schedule form
Minimum Requirements include:
- High school diploma or equivalent from an accredited institution
- Two or more years receptionist experience
- Intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Demonstrate strong initiative and customer service orientation
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality
The Receptionist is responsible for organizing and coordinating office operations to ensure the office runs efficiently, as well as providing support to local leadership. This position will also manage all responsibilities of the reception desk, which includes answering the main phone line and greeting both callers and walk-in guests in a friendly, courteous, and professional manner.
Essential job duties and responsibilities
- Provide administrative support to office staff and field personnel, including scheduling meetings, coordinating travel arrangements, and reserving conference rooms
- Provide clerical assistance such as typing, copying, filing, recordkeeping, sorting, coding, and distributing departmental mail
- Greet visitors, respond to inquiries sent through email and answer, and direct all incoming calls and relay messages as needed
- Support staffing process by coordinating prescreen interviews, scheduling onsite interviews, and confirming interviews prior to meeting
- Oversee new hire onboarding to include IT access request, HR paperwork, and online training assistance
- Establish and maintain vendor relationships and contracts to ensure best pricing on services
- Responsible for purchasing and maintaining office and breakroom supplies and equipment
- Prepare materials for meetings and ensure materials are organized and distributed
- Process invoices, purchase orders, expense reports, and maintain organized records
- Manage corporate card and accounting coding of expense
- Receive and log rental payment and distribute among team for posting
- Compile and distribute weekly/monthly reports
- Field complaints, issues, and concerns from the public, clients, vendors, etc.
- Assist with special projects as assigned and ensure processes are completed in a timely manner
- Assist with coordinating communication between other regional offices and home office
- Coordinate various office activities and events
- Must maintain professional appearance and comply with company dress code policy
- Other duties as assigned
Education and/or experience
- High school diploma or equivalent required
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Management preferred
- Minimum five years experience in office administration and/or experience supporting senior management required
- Proficiency utilizing Outlook, Microsoft Word, and Excel
- Ability to use general office equipment, such as telephone, fax machine, printer, copier, and 10-key
- Excellent customer service and interpersonal skills; ability to relate to and get along with others
- Professional verbal and written communication skills
- Strong organizational and time-management skills
- Ability to multitask and maintain flexibility and creativity in a variety of situations
- Ability to analyze and resolve problems
- Ability to set and meet goals and consistently meet deadlines
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Must maintain professional appearance and comply with prescribed uniform policy
- Ability to be at work on a regular and consistent basis; overtime may be required
Serve as the first point of contact for all visitors and answer incoming telephone calls in a professional and friendly manner. Answer general questions and direct callers to appropriate departments in a way that reflects ABC Company’s Core Values and Business Priorities.
Roles and responsibilities
- Use excellent customer service skills to graciously greet visitors and connect them with appropriate ABC Company Team Member
- Answer incoming calls, answer questions appropriately and forward to correct department as needed
- Monitor reception area and keep neat and orderly
- Maintains integrity and confidentiality of all data, materials, and information
- Manage Visitor Badge process, ensuring all visitors are accurately logged
- Assist various Human Resources teams with administrative work
Required technical skills
- Minimum of 1-year experience in a corporate environment
- Knowledge and proficiency with the use of computer programs (Outlook and MS Office)
- Knowledge and proficiency with the use of office equipment such as computers, copiers, phones, and fax machines
- Ability to multitask in a fast-paced environment
- High school diploma or GED
Other key qualifications
- Excellent written/verbal communication skills, including courteous, positive, and professional telephone manner
- Ability to maintain a positive attitude and make favorable impressions on visitors while presenting a cheerful image
- Highly reliable with the ability to consistently be on time
- Ability to maintain integrity and confidentiality
Sample Interview Questions
- What interests you about being a receptionist in our office?
- Do you enjoy working with people?
- On a daily basis, how many people did you interact with at your last position?
- What software tools do you use on a daily basis?
- Tell me about your computer skills.
- What additional responsibilities did you take on in your role as a receptionist?
- What makes you a great fit for this position?
- What type of schedule are you looking to work?
- What type of security protocol do you follow?
- Describe a time you received constructive criticism from your supervisor. Why was it helpful?
- What are the characteristics of a quality receptionist?
- What are your greatest strengths pertaining to office work?
- How do you keep up with trends in this industry?
- Why are you interested in this role?
- What skills do you possess that would make you an exceptional receptionist?