What Does a Product Manager Do?
Product managers develop and oversee product and product group strategies. To bring new products to market, they work closely with cross-functional teams, including designers, engineers, and marketing teams. To be successful, product managers must manage the needs of the business, those of the customer, and the capabilities of the product development team.
These professionals usually work in an office setting and spend much of their time in meetings collaborating with other team members. In order to communicate complex ideas and technical concepts to team members and stakeholders, they must be able to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing. They are also responsible for ensuring projects are completed on time, within budget, and to the expected quality standards.
Are you a job seeker?
of job openings
and apply online
National Average Salary
Product manager salaries vary by experience, industry, organization size, and geography. To explore salary ranges by local market, please visit our sister site zengig.com.
The average U.S. salary for a Product Manager is:
Product Manager Job Descriptions
It’s important to include the right content in your job description when hiring a product manager. The following examples can serve as templates for attracting the best available talent for your team.
A product manager oversees the planning, development, marketing, and management of a product. They work closely with clients to understand needs and requirements and create strategies to meet those needs. Product managers should have a good understanding of product and marketing strategies, excellent interpersonal and communication skills, and strong problem-solving skills. [Your Company Name] is seeking an experienced product manager to take our company to new heights. As an ideal candidate, you have experience defining and developing product strategies and in-depth knowledge of the product development lifecycle.
Typical duties and responsibilities
- Determine customers’ needs and desires for a product or product line
- Recommend the nature and scope of present and future product lines to customers
- Articulate the business value to the product team, so they understand the intent for a new product or product release
- Define the release process and coordinate the activities needed to bring the product to market
- Identify potential products
- Conduct product research
- Produce production timelines
- Develop marketing strategies
- Generate and develop new product ideas
- Ensure product planning and development integrates customer feedback and requests
- Communicate ideas to customers, partners, and internal team members
- Work closely with engineers on technical specifications
Education and experience
- This position requires a bachelor’s degree in business or a related field, preferably with classes in marketing, communications, economics, advertising, and statistics.
Required skills and qualifications
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Computer skills, including Microsoft Office Suite (Word, PowerPoint, and Excel)
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work well with others
- Outstanding math and analytical skills
- Solid decision-making skills
- Expertise in negotiating
- Keen attention to detail
- Ability to delegate tasks to a team
- Proficiency in research and analysis
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Exceptional project management skills
- Solid attention to detail
- Strong ability to multitask
- Good collaboration and interpersonal abilities
- Customer focused
This position is responsible for managing daily operations of the Production Department; ensuring the plant meets established safety, quality, and production goals in compliance with all applicable legal and food safety requirements.
- Manages and directs activities of the production department, ensuring product adheres to ABC Company’s standard of safety, quality, and throughput
- Collaborates with the planning department to create production schedules that meet both internal and external needs. Establishes and adjusts work procedures and schedules to meet production plan
- Maintains effective working relationships with team members through open communication, visibility, and involvement to promote a positive working environment that maximizes safety, employee engagement, productivity, and throughput
- Provides direction to supervisors on team member coaching and development, employment decisions, and resolving issues through conflict resolution. Hires, trains, coaches and reviews performance of team members. Partners with Human Resources for recruitment, corrective actions, and terminations
- Collaborates with Maintenance Department leadership to plan preventative maintenance on the production lines
- Analyzes and submits reports for production numbers, downtime, attendance, overtime, and quality checks to the Plant Director
- Collaborates with the Plant Director and Planning Department to develop the Production Department budget and forecast
- Develops, recommends, and implements measures to improve production methods, equipment performance, and quality of product
- Develops capital equipment justification for machine upgrades and process technology to improve quality, cost, and cycle time
- Suggests changes in working conditions and use of equipment to increase efficiency of department personnel
- Interfaces with multiple departments within in the organization to ensure customer deadlines are met
- Collaborates with plant leadership to champion a world-class safety culture
- Adheres to the highest standards of company and plant safety programs, guidelines, rules, and regulations
- Abides by ABC Company’s Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP’s) and Food Safety Standards at all times
- Collaborates with raw material planners to ensure correct inventories based on production schedules. Escalates supplier quality issues to prevent customer shortages
- Partners with the Quality Department to prevent and resolve Non-Conforming Finished Goods and Non-Conforming Raw Materials
- Regular and predictable attendance is an essential function of the job
- Please note this job description is not designed to contain a comprehensive list of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without prior notice
- 6 Years – Experience in Field or similar manufacturing environment
- 6 Years – Experience in Position
- 4 Years – Experience managing people/projects
- 10+ Years – Experience in Field or similar manufacturing environment
- 10+ Years – Experience working in Position
- 6 Years – Experience managing people/projects
This position embodies the values of ABC Company’s LIFE competency model, focusing on the following key drivers of success:
- Lead Like an Owner:
- Manages a safe working environment, accurately documents safety related training, and effectively communicates safety incidents
- Provides strategic input and oversight to departmental projects
- Makes data driven decisions and develops sustainable solutions
- Skilled in reducing costs and managing timelines while prioritizing long run impact over short term wins
- Makes decisions by putting overall company success first before department/individual success
- Leads/facilitates discussions to get positive outcomes for the customer
- Makes strategic decisions which prioritize the needs of the customer over departmental/individual goals
- Continuously evaluates existing programs and processes, and develops new initiatives to increase efficiency and reduce waste
- Creates, monitors, and responds to departmental performance metrics to drive continuous improvement
- Communicates a clear vision, organizes resources effectively, and adjusts the strategy as needed when managing change
- Find a Way:
- Demonstrates ability to think analytically and synthesize complex information
- Effectively delegates technical tasks to subordinates
- Works effectively with departments, vendors, and customers to achieve organizational success
- Identifies opportunities for collaboration in strategic ways
- Empowered to be Great:
- Makes hiring decisions primarily based on culture fit and attitude, and secondarily based on technical expertise
- Engages in long term talent planning
- Provides opportunities for the development of all direct reports
- Understands, identifies, and addresses conflict within own team and between teams
Who are you?
Passionate and motivated. Driven, with an entrepreneurial spirit. Resourceful, innovative, forward thinking and committed. At ABC Company, our people embrace these qualities, so if this sounds like you then please read on!
The Production Manager is responsible for the on-stage, backstage, show settlement, and other technical details of concerts and events at Live Nation-operated venues and third party venues including theatres, clubs, stadiums, and arenas in the local market and surrounding areas.
- Coordination between tour/private production and venues. Advancing and obtaining presale technical information, including production needs, rider requirements, staging, and capacity changes
- Interface with local contractors (vendors) and tours, clients renting ABC Company venues and venue production teams when ABC Company is a client at a venue for all show requirements, including stagehands, runners, security, casual labor and rental equipment, with an emphasis on quality, reliability, and cost
- Day of show management of concert/private events from load in to load out, with an emphasis on customer (artist/client) service, adherence to time schedules, sound restrictions, and cost containment
- Show settlement, artist and vendor payments on events
- ABC Company representative at scheduled shows for business unit and production and show settlement responsibilities for non-Amphitheater shows in market, as directed
- Coordinate and manages approved subcontractors and third party vendors to ensure safe, efficient, and successful events
- Combination 4 plus years experience as Production Manager, promoter rep, or event coordinator
- General knowledge of venue operations preferred
- Possess strong organizational, communication, interpersonal, and analytical skills with attention to detail/problem solving skills
- Ability to prioritize and handle multiple tasks simultaneously in a fast paced environment
- Be a self-motivated individual who possesses a “roll up the sleeves attitude” and a “hands-on” style, as well as the aptitude to thrive in a fast-paced, results oriented environment
- Ability to travel as schedule dictates
- Flexible Schedule (days/nights, late hours, weekends, and holidays)
- Implementation and execution of all Live Nation policies, procedures, and programs
- Must work well under pressure/Even tempered
- Ability to make clear concise decisions; sometimes with limited information
- Computer proficiency in Windows applications (Outlook, Excel, Word, PowerPoint)
- Excellent references
- ABC Company’s policy regarding vaccinations and masking will evolve based upon updated regulations and factors related to COVID-19. Currently, we strongly encourage employees to be fully vaccinated or have received a negative COVID test within 24 hours of entering an office.
You’d be the secret sauce for client satisfaction, providing quality, cost-effective services by scheduling and directing personnel and resources efficiently. You’d also support the Account Manager in estimating and budgeting as needed, helping ensure profitability and exceptional outcomes for every account.
- Performance & Quality:
- Coordinating materials, people, equipment, and subcontractors to ensure job site quality meets ABC Company standards
- Inspecting properties prior to scheduled service to develop an appropriate action plan, and performing hands-on work as needed
- Addressing issues before they arise by proactively monitoring irrigation systems and areas with the potential for disease or insect problems
- Ensuring the proper maintenance, storage, and use of branch equipment
- Coordinating with the Branch Administrator to ensure branch databases contain current client information
- Ordering materials as needed, and monitoring costs and deliveries
- Working with the Account Manager to identify staffing needs, perform hiring duties, and prepare daily crew schedules
- Developing and reviewing growth plans for employees, and providing counsel and discipline
- Providing crew member training, including proper equipment operation, pruning techniques, safety, and quality standards
- Implement safety best practices and monitor branch safety record
- A minimum of 2 years of experience in the landscaping industry or local marketplace
- A minimum of 1 year of prior experience in a supervisory role
- A 2 year degree or more in a landscape-related field or certification by a landscape association
- The ability to coach and develop teams
Candidate Certifications to Look For
- Certified Product Manager (CPM). The Certified Product Manager credential demonstrates a candidate’s in-depth understanding of the processes involved in developing new products from the beginning of the product life cycle to product launch. The course includes building case studies, writing business plans, market planning, competitive analysis, product specifications, and more. The course and the exam are available online or in person in a classroom setting.
- One Week PM. One Week PM is a 7-day course that teaches candidates the essentials of product management. They will learn the fundamental roles, practical skills, and methodologies of being a product manager. This includes conducting user research and interviews, defining product specs, developing product timelines, and developing marketing techniques for product management. This course has no prerequisites.
Sample Interview Questions
- When making product decisions, how do you use customer feedback?
- In your product roadmap, how do you prioritize features or projects?
- Do you have a method for measuring the success of a product or feature?
- Do you have experience managing product portfolios or products?
- Give an example of a time when you had to make a difficult decision between business, customer, and product development needs.
- What is your process for developing and launching a new product with cross-functional teams?
- What is the best way to manage a product from conception to launch?
- How do you evaluate user satisfaction with your product?
- When developing a product, how do you incorporate user research?
- Describe a time when you had to pivot a product strategy based on feedback from the market. What approach did you take?