What Does a PHP Developer Do?
PHP developers create and implement web-based applications using the PHP programming language. They are responsible for developing server-side web applications that support a variety of web-based platforms. Among their duties are writing code, testing and debugging software, and designing website layouts and user interfaces.
Most PHP developers work in an IT department or for a software development company. The software they create may be developed with the help of other developers and designers. Teamwork and effective communication with other designers, developers, and project managers are essential skills.
Are you a job seeker?
of job openings
and apply online
National Average Salary
PHP developer salaries vary by experience, industry, organization size, and geography. To explore salary ranges by local market, please visit our sister site zengig.com.
The average U.S. salary for a PHP Developer is:
PHP Developer Job Descriptions
The first step when hiring a great PHD developer is a well-crafted job description. Below are real-world examples to help give you the best chance of success on your recruiting journey.
We are looking for a PHP developer to manage the back-end of our website. You will be responsible for ensuring that all code is well-documented and meets all our clients’ needs. Job responsibilities include coding, debugging, maintaining existing systems, and improving current applications. Required skills include knowledge of MVC design pattern and strong OOP background, 5+ years of relevant experience, expertise in PHP and related frameworks, and excellent communication skills. If you have this expertise, you could be the perfect fit for [Your Company Name]’s PHP developer position.
Typical duties and responsibilities
- Responsible for writing and maintaining code
- Work with a team of developers to create a well-rounded web product
- Prepare and execute tests
- Troubleshoot and debug code
- Write clean, well-documented, and efficient code
- Evaluate and implement new technologies
Education and experience
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or equivalent work experience
- 5+ years of PHP programming experience, with 3+ years of experience on large-scale web applications
- Knowledge of database management systems such as MySQL and related technologies
Required skills and qualifications
- Self-starter who can work independently
- Capable of working effectively in a team environment
- Passion for learning new technologies and staying on top of industry trends
- Good communication skills
- Experience with CMS frameworks, Symfony preferred
- Knowledge of PHP frameworks, including Laravel, CodeIgniter, and CakePHP
- Experience with Amazon AWS
- Knowledge of unit testing tools, such as PHPUnit and Selenium
The PHP Developer will be responsible for the execution of IT infrastructure for our organization – ensuring that our company’s technology systems are reliable, up-to-date, and meet the needs of the company. This is a role that will be primarily focused on programming and there may be some management responsibilities delegated to this person as time progresses and there has been demonstrated ability to be a leader in the IT Department. You will work closely with the VP of Technology to prioritize development needs in the company as well as working together to set strategic goals and plans to reach them.
- Writing new programs and building on existing software to support our business
- Relevant coding languages include, but are not limited to: PHP (primary
- Writing new programs and maintaining existing software already in place
- Providing leadership for our small IT team (up to 3 people) by fielding requests from other departments, prioritizing tasks/projects, providing coaching to co-workers and leading by example
- Prioritizing daily/weekly/monthly objectives and communicating them to co-workers
- Willingness to work flexible hours, as needed, to meet company goals and objectives
- Performing other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, information technology, or a related field
- Minimum of seven (7) years of experience in the programming/software field
- Preferred three (3) years of experience in a leadership or management role in an IT setting
- Significant experience in all phases of the development lifecycle
- Solid working knowledge of current security protocols and threats
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to provide technical support to non-technical co-workers in a professional manner.
- Proficiency in MS Office applications and Google Workspace (formerly G Suite)
- Must be able to regularly lift 10 pounds; Lifting up to 30 pounds occasionally
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Cleans work area on an as needed basis
- Strong attention to detail
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Sense of urgency
- You want to get into the trenches with a collaborative team
- You want to contribute to architecture and deliver innovative software products
- You like to obsess over ensuring that the code written by you and the team you are part of is well tested, clean, hygienic, and performant
- You can finish what you start, and that is good enough, and finished trumps perfect
- You class yourself as a continuous improver and constantly push yourself outside of your comfort zone
- You like to openly communicate, be willing to listen to peers, and give and receive continuous feedback
- Above all, you love to bring people along for the journey, you’re a mentor and a teacher, and help others level up
- You are looking for a giant slow-moving company. ****We’re constantly experimenting, iterating, and changing things
- You are looking to specialize in some particular problem set. This role requires working in different contexts and problem sets. We need people that can adapt to the challenges thrown at them
- You are not willing to redirect during the day if something comes up or a team member needs help
- You don’t want to take on any work outside of your job description/comfort zone. We’re a small company and sometimes we need all hands on deck for certain problems
We are looking for long-term hires here who fit well into our distributed Continuous Development Agile Scrum team and so the ideal candidates will be:
- Self Directed and Self Motivated with a proven ability to get things done (ESSENTIAL)
- A good communicator who can summarize key deliverables and hit daily deadlines (ESSENTIAL)
- Experience with and thrived in a fast-paced Agile/Scrum development environment (++)
- Experienced with and Comfortable with working in Distributed Development Environment with remote colleagues (+)
- A proven Team player
Remote minimum requirements
You’ll need a rock-solid internet connection, fluent written/spoken English and you need to be located within +/- 6 hours of US Eastern Standard Time.
Technical skillset required
- 3+ years PHP Web Applications Development Experience
- HTML & CSS 3 experience
- 2+ years of Database experience integrating via PHP (i.e MySQL, PostgreSQL, etc.)
- API experience and/or experience of integrating multiple APIs
- Templating – experience of using PHP front end templates and or full PHP Frameworks
- PHP developers with WordPress experience also a plus
- Strong LAMP experience a big plus
- Toolset experience with multiple IDEs and frameworks, Git, etc. is a big plus
- Work from anywhere
- Be able to cover core business hours from 9am-5pm EST
- Contribute to all phases of the development lifecycle by following internal procedures and coding standards
- Build HTML5/CSS3 layouts from provided PSD files
- Build dynamic web apps using PHP/MySQL/Frameworks
- Leverage REST services and other third-party APIs
- Rapidly solve problems, bugs, and compatibility issues
- Troubleshoot, test, and maintain the core product software and databases to ensure strong optimization and functionality
- Develop and deploy new features to facilitate related procedures and tools as necessary
Qualifications & requirements
- 3+ years or experience with HTML and CSS/SASS
- 3+ years of experience with programming PHP applications and LAMP stack development
- 2+ years of experience writing unit tests/detailing procedures
- Thorough understanding of relational databases and security relating to PHP/MySQL
- Expert knowledge with Content Management Systems, either from your own design or from MVC frameworks such as Zend, Laravel, etc.
- Ability to build and consume custom SOAP and REST APIs
- Must be a self-motivated individual with exceptional organization and communication skills
Candidate Certifications to Look For
- Zend Certified PHP Engineer (ZCE) Certification. The Zend Certified PHP Engineer is an industry-wide standard that recognizes PHP expertise and is a measure of distinction that employers use to evaluate prospective employees.
- Certified Scrum Master (CSM) Certification. Candidates will learn the Scrum framework and gain an understanding of team accountabilities, events, and artifacts as well as how to guide their team to apply Scrum.
- Certified Software Testing Professional (CSTP) Certification. The Certified Software Testing Professional certification is for software professionals who want to demonstrate their skills and knowledge in the area of software testing.
- AWS Certified Solutions Architect – Associate Level. AWS Certified Solutions Architect is an entry-level certification designed to validate technical expertise in designing, deploying, and managing applications and systems on the AWS platform.
Sample Interview Questions
- What steps do you take to ensure that the software you create is user-friendly and efficient, and how do you ensure that it meets the needs of the company/client?
- Do you have experience using version control software such as Git or SVN? What experience do you have with the command line?
- What is your experience with hosting providers such as AWS, Azure, or Rackspace?
- In web-based applications, how do you store and retrieve information using databases? Can you describe your experience with database design and management?
- Are you familiar with server-side scripting and web application frameworks, and how do you use these tools to create robust and scalable web applications?
- What steps do you take to make sure that the software you create is secure and free of vulnerabilities? How are you protecting the software from malicious activities or attacks?
- Could you describe a time when you struggled with a complex software development issue and what steps you took to resolve it?
- What is your experience with software development methodologies and best practices, such as Agile and Scrum, and how do you incorporate them into your work?
- In order for your software to meet everyone’s expectations, how do you collaborate with other developers, designers, and project managers?