What Does a PHP Developer Do?
You know all about the LAMP stack, you love semantic code, and you always keep your code well-documented. If this sounds like you, then you could make a good PHP developer.
PHP developers handle the back-end development of many popular websites, including Facebook and Wikipedia. They write code that ensures the website functions as it should and meets all the requirements of the client.
PHP developers typically work with a team of other developers, graphic designers, and project managers to create a well-rounded web product. They must be able to think outside the box, solve problems, and be able to work independently.
Are you a job seeker?
of job openings
and apply online
National Average Salary
PHP developer salaries vary by experience, industry, organization size, and geography. To explore salary ranges by local market, please visit our sister site zengig.com.
The average U.S. salary for a PHP Developer is:
PHP Developer Job Descriptions
The PHP Developer will be responsible for the execution of IT infrastructure for our organization – ensuring that our company’s technology systems are reliable, up-to-date, and meet the needs of the company. This is a role that will be primarily focused on programming and there may be some management responsibilities delegated to this person as time progresses and there has been demonstrated ability to be a leader in the IT Department. You will work closely with the VP of Technology to prioritize development needs in the company as well as working together to set strategic goals and plans to reach them.
- Writing new programs and building on existing software to support our business
- Relevant coding languages include, but are not limited to: PHP (primary
- Writing new programs and maintaining existing software already in place
- Providing leadership for our small IT team (up to 3 people) by fielding requests from other departments, prioritizing tasks/projects, providing coaching to co-workers and leading by example
- Prioritizing daily/weekly/monthly objectives and communicating them to co-workers
- Willingness to work flexible hours, as needed, to meet company goals and objectives
- Performing other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, information technology, or a related field
- Minimum of seven (7) years of experience in the programming/software field
- Preferred three (3) years of experience in a leadership or management role in an IT setting
- Significant experience in all phases of the development lifecycle
- Solid working knowledge of current security protocols and threats
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to provide technical support to non-technical co-workers in a professional manner.
- Proficiency in MS Office applications and Google Workspace (formerly G Suite)
- Must be able to regularly lift 10 pounds; Lifting up to 30 pounds occasionally
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Cleans work area on an as needed basis
- Strong attention to detail
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Sense of urgency
- You want to get into the trenches with a collaborative team
- You want to contribute to architecture and deliver innovative software products
- You like to obsess over ensuring that the code written by you and the team you are part of is well tested, clean, hygienic, and performant
- You can finish what you start, and that is good enough, and finished trumps perfect
- You class yourself as a continuous improver and constantly push yourself outside of your comfort zone
- You like to openly communicate, be willing to listen to peers, and give and receive continuous feedback
- Above all, you love to bring people along for the journey, you’re a mentor and a teacher, and help others level up
- You are looking for a giant slow-moving company. ****We’re constantly experimenting, iterating, and changing things
- You are looking to specialize in some particular problem set. This role requires working in different contexts and problem sets. We need people that can adapt to the challenges thrown at them
- You are not willing to redirect during the day if something comes up or a team member needs help
- You don’t want to take on any work outside of your job description/comfort zone. We’re a small company and sometimes we need all hands on deck for certain problems
We are looking for long-term hires here who fit well into our distributed Continuous Development Agile Scrum team and so the ideal candidates will be:
- Self Directed and Self Motivated with a proven ability to get things done (ESSENTIAL)
- A good communicator who can summarize key deliverables and hit daily deadlines (ESSENTIAL)
- Experience with and thrived in a fast-paced Agile/Scrum development environment (++)
- Experienced with and Comfortable with working in Distributed Development Environment with remote colleagues (+)
- A proven Team player
Remote minimum requirements.
You’ll need a rock-solid internet connection, fluent written/spoken English and you need to be located within +/- 6 hours of US Eastern Standard Time.
Technical skillset required:
- 3+ years PHP Web Applications Development Experience
- HTML & CSS 3 experience
- 2+ years of Database experience integrating via PHP (i.e MySQL, PostgreSQL, etc.)
- API experience and/or experience of integrating multiple APIs
- Templating – experience of using PHP front end templates and or full PHP Frameworks
- PHP developers with WordPress experience also a plus
- Strong LAMP experience a big plus
- Toolset experience with multiple IDEs and frameworks, Git, etc. is a big plus
- Work from anywhere
- Be able to cover core business hours from 9am-5pm EST
- Contribute to all phases of the development lifecycle by following internal procedures and coding standards
- Build HTML5/CSS3 layouts from provided PSD files
- Build dynamic web apps using PHP/MySQL/Frameworks
- Leverage REST services and other third-party APIs
- Rapidly solve problems, bugs, and compatibility issues
- Troubleshoot, test, and maintain the core product software and databases to ensure strong optimization and functionality
- Develop and deploy new features to facilitate related procedures and tools as necessary
Qualifications & requirements
- 3+ years or experience with HTML and CSS/SASS
- 3+ years of experience with programming PHP applications and LAMP stack development
- 2+ years of experience writing unit tests/detailing procedures
- Thorough understanding of relational databases and security relating to PHP/MySQL
- Expert knowledge with Content Management Systems, either from your own design or from MVC frameworks such as Zend, Laravel, etc.
- Ability to build and consume custom SOAP and REST APIs
- Must be a self-motivated individual with exceptional organization and communication skills
Sample Interview Questions
- What do you know about the PHP language?
- What are some of the problems you have faced and how did you solve them?
- What is your experience with MVC frameworks?
- How would you design a database for a website?
- What is your experience with caching mechanisms?
- How would you go about optimizing an application?
- What is your approach to debugging an application?
- If you were working as part of a team and another developer was not performing, how would you go about getting them on track? If there are no issues with the other person, what would you do?
- Do you have experience using version control software such as Git or SVN? What experience do you have with the command line?
- What is your experience with hosting providers such as AWS, Azure, or Rackspace?
- What are some of the most important skills for a PHP developer?
- Where do you see yourself in 5 years? 10 years?