What Does an Enterprise Software Sales Representative Do?
Enterprise software sales professionals meet with businesses and determine their needs for software, from office management and word processing software to complicated data storage and information security systems. Enterprise sales usually involves complex, long-term sales contracts for large-scale corporate software solutions. An enterprise software sales professional must be able to communicate the technical details and capabilities of products to clients and demonstrate how they will meet the client’s needs.
Enterprise software sales professionals must possess strong presentation skills in addition to being adept at relationship-building, negotiation, and communication. Since enterprise sales tend to be for an entire company, they tend to be high-dollar-value sales, involving multiple decision-makers. That requires an enterprise software sales professional to communicate effectively with people at various levels of an organization, who might want different information about a particular product.
Are you a job seeker?
of job openings
and apply online
National Average Salary
Enterprise software sales salaries vary by experience, industry, organization size, and geography. To explore salary ranges by local market, please visit our sister site zengig.com.
The average U.S. salary in Enterprise Software Sales is:
Enterprise Software Sales Job Descriptions
When it comes to recruiting an enterprise software sales, having the right job description can make a big difference. Here are some real world job descriptions you can use as templates for your next opening.
[Your Company Name] needs a motivated and professional enterprise software sales rep to join our team. In order to be a successful enterprise software sales rep, you must have experience with sales as well as a good understanding of the technical matter that may need to be discussed when educating customers about our products. Because of this, the ideal candidate for this position must be technical-minded and have good interpersonal skills, as well as previous experience in either the sales or customer service industries. Ideally, you will be able to answer customer questions about our product while building trust and ensuring that our customers are satisfied with the sales you make. If this position sounds like you, please do not hesitate to apply. We would love to have you join our team as our new enterprise software sales rep!
Typical duties and responsibilities
- Assess client needs and promote suitable products
- Meet with decision-makers and provide information about software products
- Perform product demonstrations and training as needed
- Negotiate sales prices
- Construct pitches and sales presentations
Education and experience
A bachelor’s degree is usually required for this position, especially if the job requires selling a scientific or complex software product. Less complicated products often require a high school diploma or the equivalent, with a background in business-to-business (B2B) sales.
College coursework in subjects close to the software product being sold, such as chemistry, biology, or engineering, can make a candidate more attractive to employers. Courses in sales, marketing, economics, or communication can also be helpful.
Required skills and qualifications
- Written and verbal communication skills, including relationship-building and influencing
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite or similar software, including spreadsheets and databases
- Excellent negotiation skills
- Strong sense of organization and time management
- 5+ years of IT/software sales experience
- Proven track record with impressive sales numbers
- Excellent relationship-building skills on the phone and in-person
We are seeking an experienced, highly motivated Enterprise Software Sales professional to manage our company’s region. This position is responsible to sell to and support both end users and channel partners, leveraging all routes to market. The Sales Executive will sell our marketing leading Identity Management solutions by gaining a thorough understanding of the client’s business and the industry in which they compete, the corresponding IT initiatives, identifying needs which the company can help resolve, developing compelling business value proposals for our solutions, and ultimately closing business. The Sales Executive will also develop and maintain trusted relationships with senior level decision makers and other key buyers within the named accounts and partners.
- Exceed revenue quota goals on a monthly, quarterly, and yearly basis
- Demonstrate the ability to address each customer’s and partner’s unique inquiry, while providing them with the proper information and appropriate solution based on the customer’s specific needs and interests
- Develop business plans, which align to the assigned geographic and business needs
- Engage and work with business partners where appropriate
- Collaborate with Marketing to develop and execute marketing plans through/with end users and partners
- Follow-up on all leads supplied and ensure internal systems are updated
- Marshal and lead the appropriate technical resources to demonstrate ABC Company’s advantages to the customer
- Follow-up with clients and work with ABC Company post-sale account managers to ensure consistent and ongoing coverage of account including new sales opportunities
- Understand and work in all aspects of the sales cycle, including qualifying, presentations, demonstrations, RFP responses, negotiations, and the closing process
- Develop and maintain a deep understanding of the territory including the customers, the prospects, the partners, the influencer’s, and the competitors
- Understand and communicate all product and technological strategies employed by competitive and complimentary organizations in the ABC Company market space
- Maintain the highest level of customer and partner satisfaction within the accounts in your territory
- Maintain a positive, professional ‘total customer service’ attitude and demonstrate the company’s Core Values
- Coordinate, plan, and schedule sales support functions with Technical Sales staff
- Demonstrate the ability to create and manage conversations at all business and technical levels of a client’s organization from their CEO to a Systems Administrator
- Utilize all channel management and reporting tools
- Customer Focus: Act in ways that demonstrate customer focus and satisfaction by building effective relationships with customers, identifying, meeting and exceeding customer expectations, and by treating customers with dignity and respect
- Partner Focus: Act in ways that demonstrate partner focus and satisfaction by building effective relationships with partners, identifying, meeting and exceeding partner expectations, and by treating partners with dignity and respect
- Territory Management: Manage territory, considering each and all accounts collectively; establish accurate plans and forecasts; prioritize efforts; generate short term results while holding a long-term perspective to maximize overall territory viability
- Effective Communication: Deliver oral and written communications that are impactful and persuasive with their intended audience
- Industry Knowledge: In-depth knowledge of given industry and relevant marketplace; can speak with authority, e.g., on industry trends, best practices, competitive practices, regulatory issues, etc.
- Effective Selling: Utilize solutions-oriented, systematic approach to selling, leverage mastery of sales best practices and ABC Company’s sales methodology
- Business Acumen: Understand key aspects of business, e.g., business models and competitive positioning; also understand how business operates, including role of structure, systems, and processes; can speak in business language when applying professional expertise
- Financial Acumen: Use financial analysis to make decisions, evaluate opportunities and choices; know how financial decisions impact business success
Bachelor’s degree or global equivalent in an IT, business or sales related field.
Business travel of approximately 50 percent yearly is expected for this position.
- 7 years of Business to Business sales experience, with 3 years in the Identity Management or Security Industries
- Proven results in a quota-oriented sales environment and an understanding of technology and technological innovations
- Proven negotiation skills and the ability to persuade and influence decision makers and executives is required. Effective at presenting to executive management, i.e. C-Level
- Professionalism, personal integrity, a high internal commitment to achieve success, the ability to build and maintain a vast network of professional relationships over a long period of time, strong oral and written communication skills
Our client is a software company looking for an Enterprise Software Sales Representative. This client is recognized for creating ERP integrated solutions for a variety of ERP applications. Their product(s) provide E-Commerce, Credit Card Payments, a Supplier Portal & HR Self-Service solutions.
This is an amazing opportunity for a self-starter who thrives on winning deals!
- Generating new leads by cold calling, referrals, events, emails, networking, and more
- Solid track record of building and maintaining relationships with clients
- Explain the company’s platform and how it will help fulfill the client’s needs
- Able to stay current on products, services, and trends
- Collaborate with other departments
Qualifications for this position
- 5+ years of SMB Enterprise Sales experience, preferably in CRM, HCM, Oracle, SAP, SAGE, or JDE a plus
- Long sales cycle experience (6-12 months)
- SaaS licensing sales a plus
- Demonstrated experience with Fortune 1000 companies
- “Hunter” who excels at generating and closing new sales
Are you a person who loves to work in dynamic organization and flourishes with delighting customers with an outstanding sales experience? ABC Company is seeking an Enterprise Software Product Sales Specialist for our field sales organization with a proven track record in selling complex technology solutions to our customers. This full-time position will drive adoption of our Omniverse Enterprise portfolio, inclusive of Support Services supporting both initial sales and cross/upsell opportunities. If you have a passion for how technology is driving dynamic changes in exciting segments like 3D Graphics, Artificial Intelligence, Deep Learning, Cloud and Advanced Software Development, we’d like to talk with you. We have a real passion for helping customers innovate and realize the full benefits of the ABC Company platform.
What you’ll be doing
- Attain a minimum of 100% Quota attainment selling Omniverse Software solutions to our customers, inclusive of Support, Professional, and Education services
- Maintain and submit accurate forecasts
- Qualify new opportunities, present ABC Company solutions, overcome objections, negotiate, and close business over the phone & MSFT Teams; with some travel required when business travel restrictions are lifted
- Maintain a high-level of daily activity including customer calls, meetings, and pipeline management
- Team with ABC Company Channel, Inside & Field Sales and Marketing to build your business and facilitate sales opportunities
- Build direct relationships with customers and work closely with channel partners to grow new sales opportunities within your territory
- Lead all aspects of the selling cycle to help customers expand revenue
- Develop excellent strategic relationships with customers to understand their software and computing needs
- Have an understanding and clear delivery of ABC Company value proposition, key features, product messages, and positioning
What we need to see
- 10+ years of sales experience with minimum of 5 of those years in a field sales role
- 7+ years of high technology quota carrying sales experience being responsible for the full sales cycle (prospecting, customer presentation/demos, negotiating, and closing the sale)
- Previous Enterprise Datacenter Software Sales experience required
- Strong technical understanding of 3D and other graphics intensive workflows and the roles and responsibilities involved in those projects
- Familiarity and experience with ISVs in the Omniverse supported ecosystem
- Proven success in rolling up a forecast to sales leadership
- Experience with going to market and teaming with Technology Industry Channel Partners
- Excellent communication (interpersonal and presentation) and closing skills, and have successfully applied these in an inside sales environment
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Excellent customer and channel partner relationship skills
- Positive attitude, High energy, drive, and a sense of urgency
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- Salesforce.com experience is required
Ways to stand out from the crowd
- Previous experience selling enterprise 3D CAD software
- Previous experience in deploying and/or using 3D CAD software
- Adept at balancing intense short-term pressures with overall long-term goals
- Excellent listening skills and ability to persuade — using communication that convey concepts in a creative way
- A love for technology and how it can impact businesses
- Passionate for sales and building positive relationships with customers and channel partners
- Thrive in a team environment
- Flexible and a resilient problem solver
- Ambitious and strive to continuously learn new technology
Candidate Certifications to Look For
- Certified Professional Sales Person (CPSP). This certification is one of the premier certifications for multiple types of sales representatives. Because of the nature of this certification, it is created to provide widespread certification and legitimacy in the field of sales. This certification can be immensely useful to an enterprise software sales rep as well, which means that it should be considered when testing for certifications in this position.
- Certified Inside Sales Professional (CISP). As a certified inside sales professional, candidates will have one of the most premier certifications currently available for enterprise software sales reps. This certification is immensely challenging to procure and requires retesting every three years in order to maintain the certificate. Because of this, the certification is easily one of the best certifications in the sales field to demonstrate expertise and sales ability.
Sample Interview Questions
- As an enterprise software sales rep, how would you go about deciding which software is the most beneficial to a customer?
- What strategies do you use to ensure a positive client experience? How do you build and maintain strong client relationships?
- What strategies do you use to identify new sales opportunities and target high-value prospects?
- How have you managed complex sales cycles and navigated large organizations’ decision-making processes?
- What was your approach when you had to collaborate with cross-functional teams for a client’s needs?
- When negotiating and closing deals with large clients, what strategies do you use to make the deals mutually beneficial?
- How do you ensure that clients are satisfied with the organization’s ongoing relationship over the long term?
- What strategies do you use to overcome objections and challenges during the sales process?
- Have you ever faced a challenging sales situation or had to think creatively to overcome a challenge, and how did you overcome it?