What Does a Payroll Services Sales Representative Do?
Payroll services sales representatives are responsible for selling payroll services and related products to businesses of all sizes. These individuals work for payroll service providers, software vendors, or financial institutions and are responsible for meeting sales targets and generating new business. They must possess strong interpersonal skills, an understanding of payroll laws and regulations, and a deep understanding of the payroll industry in order to succeed.
A payroll services sales representative must be comfortable cold calling and contacting potential clients via phone, email, and other methods. These professionals will need to educate clients about the benefits of outsourcing payroll-related services, such as tax filing, benefits administration, and time tracking, in order to convince them to outsource their payrolls. It is essential that payroll services sales representatives are self-motivated, capable of working independently, and have excellent time management skills.
Are you a job seeker?
of job openings
and apply online
National Average Salary
Payroll services sales representative salaries vary by experience, industry, organization size, and geography. To explore salary ranges by local market, please visit our sister site zengig.com.
The average U.S. salary for a Payroll Services Sales Representative is:
Payroll Services Sales Representative
When it comes to recruiting a payroll services sales representative, having the right job description can make a big difference. Here are some real world job descriptions you can use as templates for your next opening.
This is client-facing role for a friendly, energetic sales professional. This position would be primarily building out sales in Payroll & related Benefit Services.
- Present and sell company products and services to new and existing customers
- Prospect and contact potential customers
- Identify opportunities through marketing campaigns, networking, and prospecting activities.
- Reach agreed upon sales targets by the deadline
- Resolve customer inquiries and complaints
- Set follow-up appointments to keep customers aware of latest developments
- Create sales material to present to customers
- Maintain CRM for sales prospecting activities
- Must have reliable transportation
- US work authorization
- Previous experience in sales, customer service, or related fields
- Ability to build rapport with clients
- Strong negotiating skills
- Deadline and detail-oriented
- 2 years of Payroll & HR experience
- An entrepreneurial spirit with the ability to close sales and seek out new customers
- Self-motivated and ability to work independently and in a team-oriented environment.
- Professional and outgoing in a client-facing role
- The ideal candidate will be enthusiastic, highly motivated, and a self-starter. Expert presentation & closing skills are required
The Sales Representative will be responsible for building relationships with local banks, CPA’s and other COI’s to create referral sources while also engaging in a strong degree of direct prospecting through cold calling, foot canvassing and current client prospecting. The Sales Representative will be in a highly consultative role as they meet with potential clients and will be responsible for developing a full set of solutions to meet their business needs.
Duties and responsibilities
- Selling Payroll Services and HR solutions such as Workers Compensation, Time & Attendance systems, Human Resources, and Employee Benefits
- Develop referral relationships with CPAs, Banks, and Financial Advisors
- Prospect small and medium sized businesses to sell payroll and human resource products and services through cold calling, foot canvassing, and networking
- Cross-selling to existing base of clients
- Attend weekly networking activities
- Set several sales appointments weekly with potential new and existing clients
- Provide product demos and initial training to new clients
- Enter new customer data and other sales data for current customers into computer database
- Emphasize salable features, quote prices, and prepare sales contracts
- Travel to and attend Trade shows and Conventions – when applicable
The ideal candidate for this position would possess:
- The ability to prospect, present, and close
- At least one year of sales experience in a quota driven B2B position
- Cold calling experience
- Excellent work ethic and self-starter
- Excellent organizational, planning, and prioritization skills
- Ability to influence and persuade to achieve desired outcomes
- Strong analytical, problem solving, and negotiation skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- High level of professionalism
- Strong willingness to prospect on the phone and in person
- Relationship building ability to work with Accountants and other financial professionals
- Proficient with PC and Microsoft Office products
The responsibilities of the Payroll Sales Representative are as follows:
- Ensure sales of the company’s payroll services designed specifically to meet the needs of small to medium scale businesses
- Establish and maintain a good relationship with banks, CPA’s, insurance agents, and other viable prospects
- Give presentations to prospective customers on the company’s payroll services, relying on sound technical selling skills, as well as on deep product knowledge
- Make sales by giving consultation to business owners and decision-makers in organizations and recommending the company’s payroll solutions that meet their business needs, with the benefits of the solutions well highlighted
- Establish and maintains a database of qualified leads obtained through emails, direct mails, telephone interactions, referrals, cold calls, or physical meetings with business owners, and management approved networking strategy
- Participate in any way required in the implementation of the company’s marketing plan and strategies
- Learn and understand how small/medium businesses operate
- Keep correct and detailed records of all activities relating to customer prospecting and sales in the assigned territory or location, such as sales calls, follow-up, closed sales, and presentations
- Three or more years experience in sales, preferably outside sales with cold calling experience
- Experience dealing with and selling to small level to medium level businesses
- Possess a high energy, success-driven attitude, with proven ability to exceed sales goals
- Articulate in communicating with business owners and managers over the phone, by email, and physical contact
- Strong ability to make effective presentations
- Proven ability to prospect, add new leads, follow up, and close sales
- Computer experience in Excel, Word, Online tools, etc.
Sample Interview Questions
- What is your experience selling payroll services, and how do you approach prospecting for new clients?
- What is your sales pipeline management process, such as following up on leads, closing sales, and tracking opportunities?
- What steps do you take to ensure your clients are compliant with payroll laws and regulations as they change?
- How do you handle difficult clients and objections when it comes to closing sales?
- What is your experience with customizing payroll services to meet clients’ specific needs, and how do you provide ongoing support and training?
- How do you tailor your services to meet the needs of clients of different sizes and industries?
- How do you remain motivated and driven if you are facing challenging sales targets or rejection from prospective clients?
- Do you have experience working collaboratively with other sales representatives and company teams, like marketing and customer service?
- If you advise clients on complicated payroll laws and regulations, how do you ensure that you provide accurate information and advice?
- What is your experience with payroll software and technology, and how do you provide value to your clients with it?