What Does a Marketing Specialist Do?
A marketing specialist can be described as a professional who helps design, create, and supervise a marketing project. Marketing specialists exercise their comprehensive communication skills to boost and transmit the products and services a company has to offer. These specialists will produce a marketing plan designed to influence businesses and consumers to purchase particular products or services. They work in both B2C and B2B businesses. Marketing specialists develop marketing programs that foster brand identity, intensify a company’s standing, and increase revenue.
The role of marketing specialists is ever-evolving and changing due to the growth of the digital marketing world. People wanting to work in this field should be familiar with the use of social media platforms, online marketing, and of data, algorithms, and other technology to predict future performance. As a result, their job specifics will vary based on the market focus, industry, company, and nature of the products and services being marketed.
A marketing specialist can vary from a full-time employee of a single company, to an independent contractor hired to work on certain projects. They’re held responsible for the creation of new marketing campaigns, the creation of brand missions to boost brand awareness, exploring and scrutinizing statistics, and the development of commercial demonstrations. Specialists should also be knowledgeable of certain marketing software that may be used to help reach KPIs and other objectives.
Are you a job seeker?
of job openings
and apply online
National Average Salary
Marketing specialist salaries vary by experience, industry, organization size, and geography. To explore salary ranges by local market, please visit our sister site zengig.com.
The average U.S. salary for a Marketing Specialist is:
Marketing Specialist Job Descriptions
The Marketing Specialist is responsible for executing marketing plans for ABC Company’s products and services to our prospects, clients, and partners. Our Managed Services include: Cloud Services, Cybersecurity, Disaster Recovery, Network Management, Microsoft Services, and Professional Services. As a key member of the Marketing team, you will work directly with internal stakeholders to develop go-to-market strategies for new and existing services. The individual must be highly motivated, goal-oriented, and a team player willing to work in a demanding and dynamic environment.
- Create marketing programs (sales documentation, product videos, website copy, blog posts) that articulate the benefits of our products through content creation and leveraging our partner marketing resources
- Conduct market analysis to obtain understanding of the competitive landscape and help establish product differentiators
- Create and maintain content on our website
- Host monthly webinars, working directly with partner(s) to host monthly webinars pertaining to current trending IT topics, including but is not limited to: PowerPoint creation, prospecting campaigns, and information gathering
- Create and maintain ABC Company’s social media presence (LinkedIn, Facebook, and YouTube)
- Create sales collateral and tools that align with the buying process and help move prospects and clients through the sales cycle
- Create and execute targeted campaigns to our clients and prospects
- Plan and participate in the launch of new services and products which involves collaborating with several different departments
- Collaborate with management, vendors, and marketing leadership to develop product positioning and messaging that resonates with our target buyer personas
- Support sales enablement content and delivery for internal sellers and partners including development of training presentations, cheat sheets, and other resources
- Assist in the planning and execution of both internal and external client and prospecting events
- Experience working within WordPress (i.e. maintaining and adding new content)
- Real-world knowledge and experience around managing social media campaigns on LinkedIn, Facebook, and YouTube
- Strong understanding of marketing to targeted client segments
- 2+ years of marketing, product management, or digital marketing experience — preferably in a related industry
- Strong ability to execute while managing multiple projects, tasks, and deadlines. We operate in a fast-paced environment with shifting priorities and demands
- Effective at partnering with team members and reaching out in real-time to overcome roadblocks
- Bonus: Prior experience working within the Managed Services Provider field
- Bachelor’s Degree in Marketing (or related field)
- Excellent grammar, written and oral communication skills
- Ability to effectively communicate with internal product stakeholders and external partners
As a Marketing Specialist working for ABC Company you will be working with the Regional Marketing Director and the Vice President of Sales and Marketing, ensuring that the customers’ needs are met whilst maximizing the profits of the company. You will assist in coordination and execution of all corporate marketing activities in an efficient and effective manner by providing creative, organizational, and coordination support.
- Assist with the production, planning, and staffing of special projects and events
- Assist with coordination of all web, online and social media initiatives, including coordination of blog and social media channels
- Coordinate the schedule and execution of emails/e-blasts and work with Regional Marketing Manager and VP of Sales and Marketing to track success of programs
- Schedule, gather, organize, and maintain visual assets in the media library to include photography, art, virtual tours, etc.
- Act as liaison to advertising and public relations agencies as assigned
- Present manager with regular traffic, web analytic, and other reports
- Maintain and organize project files, budgets, spreadsheets, and other project resources as required
- Assist with new community launch schedules and grand openings
- Perform other duties as assigned
Competencies, behaviors & attributes
- Critical Thinking
- Detail Oriented
- Sense of Urgency
- Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Communications, or other related field or 1-2 years of marketing experience with social media experience as a plus
- You are proficient in all Microsoft Office applications as well as have savvy computer skills
- You are a strong in communication skills both oral and written as well as strong in organization skills
- You are customer service oriented and believe customer is number one priority
- You understand the need to be flexible and prioritize tasks in order to meet deadlines
FLSA Status: Exempt
Will have responsibilities such as
- Office or non-manual work, which is directly related to management or general business operations
- Act as a primary component of which involves the exercise of independent judgment and discretion about matters of significance
Successful job applicants will be able to perform these functions. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Report to Division/Corporate Office/Community daily, and adhere to schedule
- Ability to access, input, and retrieve information from a computer and/or electronic device
- Ability to have face to face conversations with customers, co-workers, and higher level manager
- Ability to sit or stand for long periods of time and move around work environment as needed
- Ability to operate a motor vehicle if applicable
- Comply with company policies and procedure
- Must be able to able to remain in a stationary position up to 50% of the time
- The ability to frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds
- ABC Company experience and/or successful completion of training program may override required education and/or experience requirement
ABC Company is seeking a Marketing Specialist to assist with multiple tasks within the marketing department.
This role is part of a small, high-impact team reporting to the Vice President of Brand Marketing and working closely with all marketing team members. The successful candidate for the Marketing Specialist Role is a highly motivated, detail oriented, team player focused on providing high quality work.
- Coordinate quality brand projects across multiple channels, included but not limited to ads, sponsorships, branded screens, and brand marketing materials
- Assist with promotional communications and dissemination of campaign materials
- Assist with marketing requests for sponsorships, logos, ads, and brand marketing
- Assist with presentations and content
- Provide support for marketing projects as needed
- Provide & organize sponsorships, logo requests, ads, screens, and brand marketing materials
- Provide reporting, tracking and insights for sponsorships, logos, ads, and brand marketing
- Update and maintain brand guidelines book, branch playbook, and branded screens
- Manage relevant requests from internal compliance software and task workflows for the brand marketing projects
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Extended working hours may be required as dictated by management and business needs
- Travel to multiple facilities may be required
- May be required to sit/review information on a computer screen for long periods of time
- May require repetitive motions of the hands and wrist related to writing and typing at an electronic keyboard
- Degree in Marketing or Business Administration
- Minimum 2+ years of relevant work experience in Marketing and Banking. Financial services experience highly preferred
- Ability to draft business correspondence, reports, and presentations
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to think critically and question data
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment and manage multiple tasks at one time
- Strong analytical skills, including the ability to synthesize data and develop insights
- Strong technical skills, including proficiency in Excel, Power Point, and analytics tools
How to Hire a Marketing Specialist
When hiring a marketing specialist, first consider the following:
- Recruiting: Do you have the knowledge, tools, and resources to attract and screen candidates?
- Complexity: Do you need a senior professional, or will mid or junior-level skills and experience suffice?
- Duration: Is this a one-time project or an ongoing need?
- Management: Do you have the time and expertise to direct the work effectively?
- Urgency: How soon does the work need to be completed?
- Headcount: Do you have the budget and approval for an internal employee, or should you consider alternate options?
Answering these questions will help determine the best course of action for your current hiring need. Fortunately, great options exist for every scenario. These are our recommendations:
1. Use 4 Corner Resources (or another professional recruiting firm)
The heavy lifting is done for you when working with a top-tier staffing company like 4 Corner Resources. We source, screen, recruit, and deliver only the most qualified candidate(s), saving you significant time and effort throughout the hiring process while you remain focused on your core business. Understanding your needs and ensuring the right candidate for the position is the key to our success.
This is the best route to take when:
- You need to fill the position quickly
- You want access to a vast talent pool of high-quality, prescreened candidates
- Your position is suited for temporary hiring services, contract staffing, or contract-to-hire recruiting, and you intend to direct the work activity.
- You are hiring an employee as a direct placement but aren’t able to recruit effectively or efficiently with your internal staff.
- You aren’t familiar with current salary rates, market trends, and available skill sets
2. Advertise your opening on a top job board
Your best option may be to advertise your opening on a proven job board. There are many widely used job sites out there that draw visits from qualified candidates. If you have someone internally who can dedicate the time and energy to sort through applications and screen individuals effectively, this can be a great choice.
We recommend using a job board when:
- Your internal recruiting team has the knowledge and experience to assess candidate qualifications
- You are hiring a direct employee and have time to manage the entire recruiting effort
- You have a process for receiving, screening, and tracking all resumes and applications
- You are prepared to respond to all applicants
There are many career sites out there. Here are the two we recommend for a marketing coordinator opening:
CareerBuilder has been a trusted source for hiring since 1995. Reach 80+ million unique, diverse U.S. job seekers annually by posting your jobs through their talent acquisition channels. Through CareerBuilder, you can engage candidates and drive them into your sourcing pipeline. We recommend using CareerBuilder for hiring when you have the internal resources and processes to review, screen, and reply to all applicants.
LinkedIn is a social network for job seekers, professionals, and businesses. With this popular job site, you can enhance your brand and advertise your open position to a wide audience of motivated, qualified candidates. Job postings on LinkedIn are also extremely streamlined and user-friendly, making it even easier for candidates to apply. Additionally, applicants can use their LinkedIn profile instead of a resume to expedite the process.
3. Leverage your internal resources
You can utilize your own website, social media, and employees to assist in your search for top candidates.
A company website posting should be the first step in notifying prospective candidates that you are hiring. Social media can also be a powerful tool for spreading the word about your new opening. As far as exposure is concerned, this option can be as good as some job boards when you have a large enough following across various platforms, like LinkedIn, Instagram, Facebook, TikTok, and Twitter.
Current employees are every organization’s greatest asset. Encourage your internal team to promote job openings to their network by offering cash and other incentives.
We recommend these options when:
- Your brand has great name recognition
- You can consistently monitor and respond to candidate activity through your website and social media accounts
- You have a process in place to quickly and broadly communicate job openings and requirements
- You have an effective employee referral program in place
If you aren’t sure which path is best, schedule a discovery call today with our seasoned recruiting professionals. The 4 Corner team is on standby to help you find the best option for your unique hiring need.
Sample Interview Questions
- What marketing channels have you used in the past, and which ones are most comfortable for you?
- What are the latest marketing trends and developments you follow?
- Is there a marketing campaign you led that was successful, and how did you contribute to it?
- What metrics do you use to measure the success of a marketing campaign?
- What are the strategies you have used in the past to engage specific customer segments?
- In your opinion, what are the key elements of an effective marketing message?
- Do you collaborate with other teams to align marketing campaigns with business objectives, such as sales or product development?
- Which marketing automation platforms have you used in the past, and what is your experience with them?
- What strategies have you used to ensure your marketing team works effectively and efficiently, and how do you prioritize competing marketing goals?
- If your marketing team is undecided on which of two marketing campaigns to go with, how would you handle this?
- Tell me about a time when your team disagreed with your suggestions.
- Despite following every marketing campaign you have suggested, your client has still failed to generate any new business. What is your next move?
- Have you ever participated in or led a marketing campaign that has failed?
- What is your favorite marketing avenue to advertise a new product?