What Does a Digital Marketing Manager Do?
From online sales and stores to photos, videos, and memories; almost everything has a digital component, and marketing is no different. Digital marketing is the way a company markets itself online. This can include everything from social media presence to search engine ranking and website material. With plenty of ads and content needing to be created and managed, digital marketing managers are becoming more popular than ever. These professionals must be skilled in advertising digitally, and be experienced in creating and managing content.
Digital marketing is an ever-changing and very flexible field. There are constant changes in online marketing tactics, as well as a never-ending funnel of new digital marketing platforms hitting the internet.
Are you a job seeker?
of job openings
and apply online
National Average Salary
Digital marketing manager salaries vary by experience, industry, organization size, and geography. To explore salary ranges by local market, please visit our sister site zengig.com.
The average U.S. salary for a Digital Marketing Manager is:
Digital Marketing Manager Job Descriptions
The Digital Marketing Manager is responsible for developing, executing, and analyzing digital marketing strategies around owned, earned and paid media to grow demand, traffic, and brand awareness. Channel responsibilities will be primarily focused on SEM + SEO, Re-targeting Display Ads, Affiliate Marketing, and Paid Social Advertising. The Digital Marketing Manager is responsible for delivering tactical strategies that align with brand goals, reporting on performance, and deriving conclusions and actionable insights to improve program efficiency and grow new customers. This person will partner with cross-functional teams to understand the business and oversee third party agencies to react to trends and drive top line revenue at a profitable ROAS. The candidate must be experienced and comfortable reporting results and educating all levels of management.
- Strategically manage channel strategies which include SEM + SEO, Display Retargeting, Affiliate Marketing and Paid Social Marketing with a heavy focus on optimization to ensure ROI goals and sales/traffic targets are being met
- Partner with marketing agencies on planning and implementation of Paid Search and Affiliate Marketing channel strategies
- Share marketing plans and performance with key internal business partners. Attend appropriate meetings to understand business needs and manage agency as they execute plans within each channel to capitalize on trends, support category demand, promotions and/or brand campaigns
- Partner with Creative, Brand Marketing, and Social Media teams on monthly campaigns to elevate content across paid marketing channels
- Build out Paid Social Media campaigns and optimize against an acquisition forecast
- Monitor and report on portfolio performance daily, develop reporting and insight capabilities and processes to effectively assess progress and opportunities from various campaigns
- Set up testing plans within each channel (copy, ads, landing pages, automation, creative) for continuous performance improvement
- Monitor and report out organic search results, performing keyword research, bench-marking changes, and working cross functionally with technical teams
- Collaborate with web merchandising and buying teams to exchange business insights in support of product
- Track the market and competitors for trends, opportunities, and use that information to make recommendations
- 5+ years of digital marketing experience at a retailer or agency within Paid and Organic Search, Paid Social, Display Advertising, and Affiliate Marketing
- Experience both developing and executing digital marketing strategies and tactics
- Track record of managing paid search, paid social, and display advertising programs to a profitable ROI
- Highly motivated self-starter
- Comfortable working independently to achieve a successful result
- Strong analytics and presentation skills
- Ability to analyze marketing campaigns and present recommendations based on results
- Experience with Google Analytics or similar reporting tool
- Data, technical focused individual with web analytics experience
Bachelor’s Degree in Marketing, Business, or a related field
Our Digital Marketing Manager will collaborate on a wide variety of projects, with a particular emphasis on web and email marketing. This role is a great opportunity for a curious and entrepreneurial doer looking to breathe new life into a traditional industry. In this newly created role, you will leverage digital channels to inform customers, influencers, and employees about what makes the company unique: our products, distinctive company culture, and approach to innovation. If you have a knack for finding just the right words to express an idea, we want to meet you.
- Marketing execution: Collaborate with marketing, sales, and other teams on a wide variety of programs and tactics, including but not limited to events, loyalty programs, lead generation, SEO, and branding
- Determine content formats and channels: Collaborate with stakeholders to select formats and channels across digital options including text, display, audio, and video formats. Coordinate development of content with subject matter, creative, and content teams
- Digital Marketing plans: Develop plans based on marketing and business objectives for using various digital channels and tools to effectively reach our target audiences
- Design and layout: Partner with creative to ensure visual design and layouts of communications are consistent with branding guidelines and optimized for engagement
- Measure messaging effectiveness: Execute A-B tests as appropriate. Track and analyze tactics, and adjust as necessary, to gain the widest engagement across target audiences. Ensure all marketing outreach and engagement are captured in the company’s CRM platform
What to bring
- Digital Marketing fluency: Hands-on experience with a modern-day martech stack, B2B marketing experience preferred
- Customer focus: Views communication through the lens of intended audiences first
- Drive and follow-through: Bias for outcomes and action over perfection
- Collaboration: Takes a proactive, how can I help attitude. Influential without creating friction, even with colleagues who display strong personalities and opinions
- Agility: Able to manage several projects simultaneously and handle changing priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Curious aspiration: Interest in developing new industry expertise and marketing skills beyond digital marketing. Unafraid to speak up or ask questions in a group
- Undergraduate degree in Marketing, Integrated Marketing, Digital Marketing, or related field
- 3+ years of digital marketing, including website and SEO management, in a B2B company
- Experience with WordPress, Salesforce, Google Analytics, Google Ads, Hubspot, Pardot, or similar tools
- Experience in a fast-paced startup environment
The Digital Marketing Manager, is responsible for planning, developing, executing, and measuring multi-channel digital marketing campaigns. Campaign goals will include everything from top-of-funnel lead generation, to targeted pipeline stage progression. The successful candidate will have experience with measurement and reporting on a wide range of digital marketing activities and spending, with a strong understanding of funnel, pipeline, and Account-based Marketing metrics, including conversion rates and value-per lead.
- Ensure consistent outreach and messaging across our digital landscape
- Work with Product Marketing to develop email and other digital outreach campaigns based on personas, verticals, and funnel position with a logic-based approach
- Work directly with sales to establish consistent follow-up and approaches to various targets and accounts
- Work with third-party vendors to vet and launch a variety of campaign types (email, display advertising, content syndication, webinars) to target audiences
- Ensure data quality between systems and understand a “day in the life of a lead”
- Develop, promote, and execute (technical) virtual events
- Develop, maintain, and distribute Digital Marketing performance reporting
Who you are
- BA/BS degree in Business, Marketing, Communications, or related field
- Expert-knowledge in Marketing Automation, Digital Marketing, SFDC workflow and Campaign Metrics
- Demonstrated experience with Content Marketing, Content Development, and Sales Enablement
- Experience working with Healthcare Payer and/or Provider audiences (Preferred)
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Excited by the prospect of owning and managing lead-generation programs
- Solution-oriented, teamwork-based approach to problems
What you’ve done
- BA/BS Degree and 3+ years in a similar role on either the agency or client side
- Background in using CRM, Marketing Automation Systems (Pardot & Salesforce preferred)
- Basic understanding of Marketing/Sales funnel
- Worked with third-party vendors to launch campaigns
- Measured your outbound/inbound activity
- Developed campaigns that have delivered measurable pipeline to the business
- Experience working with recognizable B2B brands
- Experience working directly with senior-level executives
Sample Interview Questions
- Why do you want to work in digital marketing?
- What metrics and analytics do you use?
- What made your most effective campaigns?
- How do you know when a campaign has failed?
- What is the connection between SEO and content marketing?
- Can you tell me about your experience in digital marketing?
- What is your experience with co-marketing campaigns?
- How would you handle negative feedback about your brand?
- What is the importance of leadership at your current place of work?
- When marketing a B2B business, how would you approach it differently than a B2C business?
- What’s your specialty? Are you more familiar with SEO or SMM?
- If your marketing team does a campaign that doesn’t perform well, how would you explain this to the client?
- How often are you in communication with the client about what campaigns they want done on their end?
- How would you handle content that wasn’t designed effectively?
- A client wants to know why an SEO campaign isn’t performing after month one. How would you explain this?