What Does a Pharmacy Manager Do?
Pharmacy managers oversee all aspects of the pharmacy’s operations. This includes managing the pharmacy staff, ensuring medication is dispensed correctly, monitoring inventory levels, and maintaining compliance with all applicable laws and regulations. These professionals work in hospitals, pharmacies, and long-term care facilities. They also develop and implement policies and procedures, manage budgets, and collaborate with other healthcare providers to ensure patients receive the correct medications and dosages based on their medical conditions and individual needs.
To practice as a pharmacy manager, individuals must have a Doctor of Pharmacy (Pharm.D.) degree and be licensed in their state. Managers must possess strong communication and leadership skills and several years of experience as pharmacists. They must motivate and manage pharmacy staff effectively while maintaining a focus on patient safety and overall pharmacy success. As part of their pharmacy management duties, they must also be well-versed in medication safety, drug interactions, and other areas of pharmacy practice.
Are you a job seeker?
of job openings
and apply online
National Average Salary
Pharmacy manager salaries vary by experience, industry, organization size, and geography. To explore salary ranges by local market, please visit our sister site zengig.com.
The average U.S. salary for a Pharmacy Manager is:
Pharmacy Manager Job Descriptions
When it comes to recruiting a pharmacy manager, having the right job description can make a big difference. Here are some real world job descriptions you can use as templates for your next opening.
[Your Company Name] values nothing more than customer satisfaction, with the sole exception of customer safety. It is important to us that our customers receive their medications in an efficient and pleasant manner, and that they leave the pharmacy with a positive impression of the professionals who filled their prescriptions. [Your Company Name] seeks to hire experienced, highly competent and hard-working pharmacy managers who are prepared to strive for and achieve this lofty standard of excellence. If you can picture yourself attending to the pharmacological needs of your customers, while simultaneously answering whatever medical questions they ask you, and managing a staff of other pharmacists, this position could represent a terrific opportunity for you.
Typical duties and responsibilities
- Managing all pharmacy employees, policies, and procedures.
- Preparing drugs and prescription orders for collection or delivery.
- Overseeing the ordering of equipment and supplies.
- Controlling inventory.
- Applying best practice protocols when storing prescription drugs and controlled substances.
- Verifying prescription details with the healthcare specialists who prescribed them when required.
- Providing guidance on the recommended use, dosage, and possible side effects of medication.
- Maintaining an approved drug and controlled substances list and verifying expiry dates.
- Monitoring product displays, shelves, and the general appearance of the pharmacy.
- Addressing customers’ requests and complaints.
- Hiring and training new pharmacy employees and scheduling shifts.
- Keeping accurate records of inventory, patient information, and insurance claims.
- Preparing yearly budgets.
- Ensuring pharmacy services are in line with state and federal requirements.
Education and experience
- A doctor of pharmacy degree (PharmD) accredited by the accreditation council for pharmacy education.
- A bachelor’s degree in business administration or a related degree.
- State-approved license to practice as a pharmacist.
- 3+ years of managerial experience in a pharmacy environment.
Required skills and qualifications
- Up to date knowledge of the pharmacological uses and side effects of prescription drugs and controlled substances.
- Advanced knowledge of protocols regulating the safe storage of prescription drugs and controlled substances.
- Exceptional communication skills in advising customers and managing employees.
- Excellent attention to detail
- Proficient with pharmacy management software, such as RxMaster Pharmacy System.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to oversee and evaluate the work of technical and professional staff.
- Able to establish and maintain effective relationships with the public, employees, departmental staff, and supervisors.
- Certified immunizer
- 3+ years of pharmacy experience in a retail setting including prescription filling and verification, records and legal compliance, pharmacy operations, pharmacy software, and technology systems and insurance
- Experience performing prescription dispensing
- Strong working knowledge of applicable state and federal controlled substance laws
- Responsible for leading, directing, and managing Pharmacists and Pharmacy Operations Manager performance and ensuring team member engagement. Ensures the professional growth and development of Pharmacists and Pharmacy Operations Manager
- Responsible for driving overall compliance and business results of the pharmacy across operations, quality, clinical outcomes, and growth
- Ensures proper pharmacy practice including but not limited to monitoring/evaluating/implementing prescription drug orders, dispensing prescription drug and device orders, educating patients on the proper use or delivery of medication, providing immunizations, completing drug regimen reviews, providing patient counseling, and medication therapy management. Responsible for compounding and labeling of drugs and devices and proper and safe storage of drugs and devices
- Acts as a full-time pharmacist in their home store
Responsibilities and tasks
Responsible for fulfilling Pharmacist-in-Charge (PIC) requirements, upholding the board of pharmacy, state, and federal law,ensuring all pharmacy personnel complies with all requirements of federal and state pharmacy and drug laws, rules, and regulations and providing direction and supervision of Pharmacy Operations Manager, pharmacy technicians, interns, and pharmacists.
- Engages customers and patients by greeting them and offering assistance with products and services. Resolves customer complaints, helps respond to customers’ requests in a timely manner, and answers questions to ensure a positive patient experience
- Models and shares customer service best practices with all team members to deliver a distinctive and delightful customer experience. Monitors customer service provided by team members and offers reminders, training, encouragement, and develops plans for improvement
- Develops strong relationships with customers by anticipating customer needs and proactively offering services. Enhances customer experience by increasing focus on healthcare services to improving health outcomes and quality of life
Serve as a point of escalation for issues requiring a higher degree of expertise or discretion to resolve patient issues and ensure timely resolution.
- Enhance patient satisfaction by leading investigations to determine root cause, establish preventive measures, and provide after action reports
- Lead the pharmacy team which involves:
- Setting schedules
- Conducting training for new Pharmacists
- Communicating, delivering and enforcing all corrective action
- Administering employee performance reviews
- Assist in the hiring process of new team members
- Perform staff level pharmacist duties as required
- Collaborate across the organization in the development of processes and best practices for pharmacy operations
- Maintain patient confidentiality and HIPAA compliance
- Report any misconduct, suspicious or unethical activities to the Compliance Officer
- Ensure ongoing compliance with all laws and regulations; ensure that the pharmacy meets or exceeds accreditation standards; and implement “best practices” in all pharmacy activities
- Lead the pharmacy’s performance improvement program as requested by the Performance Improvement Coordinator
- Participating in departmental continuous improvement efforts, leading projects, engaging and communicating cross-functionally with other teams to improve our internal systems
- Creating and implementing an onboarding and training program for new technician and pharmacist hires
- Doctor of Pharmacy Degree (PharmD) accredited by the accreditation council for pharmacy education
- Current, unrestricted pharmacist license in (State)
- Willing to be licensed in multiple states
- At least 6-10 years of recent retail/mail-order pharmacy experience, including at least 4+ years experience as PIC (required) in a high volume setting
- Advance knowledge of protocols regulating the safe storage of prescription drugs and controlled substances
- Adaptable, flexible and thrive in dynamic, fast-paced, and high growth environments
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- High-level proficiency in Microsoft Office including Excel, Word, Outlook, etc
- Experience and/or certification in project management
- Strong interpersonal, teamwork and leadership skills with all levels of the pharmacy team
- Self-motivated to independently manage time effectively and prioritize tasks for self along with pharmacy staff
The primary purpose of this position is to assist customers with their health care needs by filling prescriptions, providing clinical services and excellent customer service while supervising Pharmacy associates. Frequent independent judgments are essential. All duties described in this document are to be performed in keeping with the core values and service attributes consistent with the company brand and strategy.
The associate is responsible for the functions below, in addition to other duties as assigned:
- Ensure the accuracy and appropriateness of all prescriptions filled by completing Drug Utilization Review and Final Quality Assurance, applicable to state and federal Board of Pharmacy regulations
- Build profitable business and script growth through recommended clinical programs including appropriate immunization and when available MTM (Medication Therapy Management), DCS (Diabetes Care Specialist), and all ongoing other programs as identified
- Provide excellent customer service by assisting customers with medical-related issues and providing healthcare counseling
- Supervise the work completed by support staff while on duty
- Assist with training, coaching, and managing the pharmacy associates and assume management responsibility over the entire pharmacy as needed
- Maintain appropriate security of the Pharmacy department
- Comply with HIPAA and all other applicable federal and state laws and regulations
- Handle and resolve customer issues, complaints, and questions to build customer trust and loyalty
- Interact with physicians and utilize reference material to gain information on customers and prescriptions and to resolve any issues that arise
- Assist with maintaining the Pharmacy department by keeping it clean and in order
- Prioritize Pharmacy Department tasks and follow through to ensure all tasks are completed in a timely manner. Including, but not limited to, cycle counts, inventory management and will-calls to customers
Experience and skills
- Ability to work a flexible schedule to meet the needs of the business
Education, license, and certifications
- Bachelor’s degree (BS/BA) in Pharmacy or Doctoral degree (PHARM.D.
- Immunization Certification through an accredited organization (i.e. APhA)
- Active Pharmacist license in good standing in the state for which you are applying
- The above information represents a summary of the functions and requirements of this position. Additional details are available on the full job description
Candidate Certifications to Look For
- ertified Pharmacy Technician. In order to earn this certification, candidates must first take and pass the Pharmacy Technician Certification Exam (PTCE), administered by the Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB). By studying for the PTCE and receiving a satisfactory grade, candidates will establish their capabilities as pharmacy technicians, and prove that they possess both the requisite knowledge to excel in a pharmacy environment as well as the ability to interface with and work alongside pharmacists with minimal friction or confusion. This certification must be renewed every two years.
- Basic Life Support for Healthcare and Public Safety. In order to earn this certification, candidates must first complete a brief course covering the proper application and implementation of cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) and emergency cardiovascular care (ECC) across a range of different hypothetical real-world scenarios. After emerging from this course candidates will be better prepared to identify common medical crises and respond to them accordingly and with confidence. While emergency preparedness in a healthcare setting is the main focus of this course, candidates who take it will also hone their deductive skills and refine their approach to interacting with patients. This certification is good for two years following completion of the course.
Sample Interview Questions
- How do you hire, train, and motivate your pharmacy staff?
- In order to minimize waste and excess inventory, how can you ensure that the pharmacy is properly stocked with medications and supplies?
- What do you think are the key skills and qualities to become a successful pharmacy manager, based on your experience?
- If you had to address a difficult situation or crisis in the pharmacy, how would you deal with it while maintaining a focus on patient safety?
- What is your experience in developing and implementing pharmacy policies and procedures to improve efficiency and effectiveness?
- What are your strategies for working with other healthcare providers to ensure that patients receive the right medications and dosages?
- How do you optimize the pharmacy’s financial performance while maintaining a focus on patient safety and satisfaction and managing pharmacy budgets and financial performance?
- Could you tell us about a time when you had to make a tough decision regarding patient care and how you handled it?
- Do you have a process in place for managing patient feedback and complaints and ensuring excellent customer service?