What Does a Restoration Technician Do?
Restoration technicians help people recover after they’ve experienced property damage from a disaster. These experts will assess damages and recover what is still salvageable. Afterward, they can begin cleaning the property, removing debris, and beginning repairs.
These technicians will remove and replace any unrecoverable parts of a home, safely stabilize structures, sanitize areas, and restore buildings to their former state. Professionals in this role should have an excellent understanding of safety standards and be able to help customers with complaints or questions about timelines, invoices, and expectations.
A restoration technician is expected to be physically fit, have excellent communication skills, and be great at working as a team. While higher education isn’t required, having certifications or licensure in safety programs and previous experience in construction is a plus. These individuals will likely be dealing with customers who’ve lost parts or all of their homes; therefore, experience in customer service is beneficial as well.
Are you a job seeker?
of job openings
and apply online
National Average Salary
Restoration technician salaries vary by experience, industry, organization size, and geography. To explore salary ranges by local market, please visit our sister site zengig.com.
The average U.S. salary for a Restoration Technician is:
Restoration Technician Job Descriptions
The Restoration Technician is responsible for working as part of a team to perform emergency services and contents restoration work while adhering to company policies and procedures regarding remediation. The individual will also adhere to EPA, OSHA, and local requirements regarding safety and hazardous materials handling. Other qualifications and responsibilities might arise as deemed necessary by circumstances. The individual must be available for emergency response work after-hours and on weekends.
- Perform content restoration work for residential and commercial properties
- Perform physical labor associated with cleanup activities, packing customer’s contents, general on-location cleaning, HVAC cleaning, and deodorization of facilities
- Assists with the inventory of site contents, setup of emergency services equipment, preparing contents for storage, and lifting items into storage
- Follow applicable safety rules, regulations, guidelines, policies, and site-specific safety plans when performing cleanup activities and donning protective gear
- Operate routinely used tools and equipment
- Perform routine inspection and preventative maintenance on assigned equipment
- Warehouse maintenance, stock supplies, building maintenance
- Perform work at high elevations such as from a ladder and scaffolding
- Hazardous Waste Operations
- All other duties as assigned
Required education and experience
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- 2-4 years of construction and restoration experience, working on water/fire damage jobs specifically, environmental experience, and hazardous waste
If you come to work every day with a great attitude, a willingness to learn, a passion to serve, and a desire to be great at what you do, we can teach you the rest. So apply now. There’s always a place on our team for someone great!
- Perform mold damage restoration, including dry-outs, packing, cleaning, debris removal, etc.
- Maintain a clean and organized vehicle and clean equipment appearance
- Perform end-of-the-day job cleanup and breakdown
- Inventory and load the work vehicle with equipment, products and supplies needed for each project
- Perform procedures following JTR guidelines and crew chief instructions
- Have empathy for others and show a sense of urgency in resolving customers’ problems
- Work hard and take pride in doing the job right every time
- Move equipment and other items from the warehouse to the job site and back
- Communicate with management to report project status, updates, issues, or concerns
- Education/experience: High school diploma or equivalent, some college/college degree preferred
- Construction experience preferred
- IICRC/Restoration experience preferred
We provide restoration in (city) and surrounding areas. Job assignments can include specialty mitigation services, light demolition, water extraction, carpet and upholstery cleaning, mold abatement, vandalism clean-up, fire and smoke damage mitigation, content move-outs and pack-ins, and content cleaning.
- Drive a company vehicle to locations designated by customers
- Execute all work to meet or exceed applicable federal, state, and local regulations and company and customer quality standards while providing world-class customer service
- Become proficient in fire and water restoration, as well as mold abatement
- Respond to water jobs and initiate water mitigation according to IICRC and ServiceMaster standards
- Must have good communication skills
- Must have a valid Drivers License
- Reliable transportation
- Ability to travel out of town
- Able to move and/or lift 50+ lbs.
- Must pass drug and background check
- Previous restoration experience is a plus!
Sample Interview Questions
- What experience do you have in restoring properties damaged by water, fire, or other natural disasters?
- When developing a restoration plan, what factors do you consider when assessing the extent of the damage?
- Have you ever had to work with insurance companies to ensure that restoration work was covered?
- Have you ever dealt with a difficult client, and how did you handle their concerns?
- In order to ensure that restoration technicians possess the skills and knowledge needed for quality restoration work, how do you train and manage them?
- When have you collaborated with other professionals, such as architects or engineers, to plan a restoration project?
- How do you verify that the property is fully restored to its pre-damaged condition, and what steps do you take to ensure this?
- Do you have a plan for completing the restoration work on time and on a budget?
- Have you ever worked with other contractors, such as electricians or plumbers, to fully restore a property?
- What steps do you take to ensure that all safety regulations and industry standards are followed during restoration work?