What Does a CRM Specialist Do?
A customer relationship management (CRM) specialist manages the technology of a company to improve marketing. Their responsibility is to maximize the efficiency of the CRM data and software to improve customer care. They are the liaison between employees and the CRM software. The role of a CRM specialist affects sales, customer service, and brand image. To successfully find ways to optimize complex CRM software programs to market effectively to current and potential customers, CRM specialists must have great analytical skills, solid communication, and organizational skills, and be good collaborators.
A high level of proficiency in using CRM software is a necessity. Interpersonal skills must be sharp as a CRM specialist works closely with the marketing and sales teams, as well as management and customers. Managing CRM data requires strict attention to detail. CRM specialists must also have good problem-solving abilities.
Are you a job seeker?
of job openings
and apply online
National Average Salary
CRM specialist salaries vary by experience, industry, organization size, and geography. To explore salary ranges by local market, please visit our sister site zengig.com.
The average U.S. salary for a CRM Specialist is:
CRM Specialist Job Descriptions
When it comes to recruiting a CRM specialist, having the right job description can make a big difference. Here are some real world job descriptions you can use as templates for your next opening.
We are on the lookout for a superior CRM specialist to join our team. We’re looking for someone who would be able to collaborate with sales and marketing to identify customer support problems and how to better serve our customers. They need to know how to manage user workshops to understand our customers better. Most importantly, we are looking for someone with an optimistic view who is eager to learn and happy to help others feel good about their purchasing decisions.
Typical duties and responsibilities
- Act as a point-of-resource to other departments in the company relating to customers and the CRM software
- Maximize characteristics and benefits of the CRM system
- Create and interpret data from the software
- Grant user access to the CRM system
- Work with different employees to enhance customer care, sales, and marketing based on the CRM data
- Make sure the CRM’s data is accurate and reliable
- Customize reports from the CRM
- Troubleshoot software errors
- Collaborate with sales and marketing to analyze business trends
- Conduct user workshops
- Create training materials and troubleshooting documents
- Conduct user testing and upgrade CRM system
- Begin CRM initiative by implementing enterprise standards, policies, and procedures
- Stay on top of relevant statistics, including customer retention rate and customer satisfaction
Education and experience
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, information systems, or another related field
- 2+ years of experience with CRM software
Required skills and qualifications
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to work with others well
- Proficiency in the CRM software
- Exceptional problem-solving skills
- Ability to resolve technical CRM issues
- Great organization skills
- Leadership skills
- High self-management
- Analytical mindset
- Willingness to continue to learn how to navigate different programs and resources
- Previous experience in sales or marketing
- High tenacity
This position will oversee and execute email campaigns, including communications calendar and customer segmentation, Automation campaigns, promotions, events, campaign reporting, and other CRM initiatives as necessary.
- Manage all aspects of outbound and inbound marketing campaigns, including copywriting, automation, setting deployment strategies, developing QA process, and tracking
- Work with database to segment audience, analyze audience behavior, and improve the quality of the database
- Conduct A/B testing to drive landing page, lead collection and email performance optimization, and other techniques to optimize user experience, conversion rates, and other important campaign metrics
- Collaborate with the marketing team to ensure campaigns run optimally
- Understand and analyze digital marketing KPIs, develop scorecards and report on results to management team and other stakeholders. Continuously refine marketing tactics based on metric analysis
Necessary skills or experience
- 4-5 years of experience in digital marketing, B2C specifically entertainment-based preferred
- Solid campaign management experience and organizational skills including the ability to set and drive requirements across multiple functional areas
- Self-starter, requiring minimal supervision – ability to “take a project and run with it” is key
- Strong communication skills and the ability to work with multiple stakeholders to prioritize tasks and projects effectively
- Experience with HubSpot or similar marketing automation system
- Experience with Adobe Photoshop, Microsoft Office, Google Analytics, Google AdWords, and other digital ad platforms
- Basic knowledge of HTML, particularly email HTML and CSS
- Knowledge of work management tools like Asana is preferable
- Bachelor’s degree
The CRM Specialist will support the CRM Manager and be responsible for the day-to-day execution of marketing campaigns, as well as data collection and list segmentation using the company platform. This role requires a strong understanding of digital marketing best practices and the ability to effectively contribute to digital communication strategies through innovative creative design, setup and delivery, targeting, segmentation and personalization, end-to-end testing, analysis, and optimization.
Essential duties and responsibilities
- Design, build and refine workflows using the company platform inclusive of Email Studio, Journey Builder, Advertising Studio and Web Studio that support internal and external digital campaigns and ongoing requests from the business
- Create, deploy and maintain landing pages that promote new programs, advertised assets, product lines and other digital campaign initiatives
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to coordinate featured assets and content
- Support the tagging of all marketing URLs using Google Analytics for tracking; utilize URL shortening utilities for promotion within digital communications (tinyurl, bit.ly, captix, etc.)
- Support the implementation of automated journeys for multiple audiences to cultivate relationships and enhance communications with active and inactive prospects and customers
- Support digital acquisition and data capture strategies, as well as audience list and database management and integrations
- Work collaboratively to understand business and customer needs and advise on industry best practices and standards related to email marketing
- Utilize HTML, CSS, SQL and/or AMPscript to develop customized email templates and landing pages that maintain PODS brand and style guidelines
Education and experience requirements
- Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in marketing, communications or related field
- 2-4 years of experience in email marketing/digital design with a marketing automation system required
- Intermediate knowledge of HTML, CSS, SQL and/or AMPscript a plus
- Knowledge of email marketing best practices and industry best practices
- Ability to think critically, identify solutions and deliver recommendations based on data and analysis
- Understanding of concepts/terms such as: ISP, URL, CAN-SPAM Act, deliverability, etc.
- Proven ability to organize multitude of tasks, projects and information simultaneously
- Must have excellent communication and organizational skills and work well under pressure in a fast-paced environment with minimum supervision
- Must be able to work independently and be team-oriented, reliable and dependable
- Strong initiative, creative thinking, attention to detail and work ethic
The CRM Specialist is the CRM subject-matter expert and as such the ‘go-to person’ for all users within the Industry team. As such they will lead efforts for the continued education and support of the tool; ensure data integrity; enhance data literacy and safeguard global process adherence as well as assist in resolving system-related issues.
- Be an advocate for the platform and contribute to knowledge sharing across all the regional teams
- Be the voice for process and platform improvements with the global process teams
- Understand and help facilitate role-based access requirements, adhering to a just-right methodology to also protect the data of our customers and partners
- Ability to assist in trouble shooting of ad hoc issues
- Escalate reoccurring technical issues to the relevant support teams
- Organize and hold training sessions on processes for all roles to increase efficiency of usage
- Lead communication for platform and process changes
- Drive consistent usage of CRM system and adherence to sales processes
- Assist in production of supplemental training materials for global and regional use including supporting local language adaptation of information where necessary
- Bachelor’s degree or related work experience.
- Legal authorization to work in the US is required. We will not sponsor individuals for employment visas, now or in the future, for this job opening.
- Ability to travel up to 10%
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience with Dynamics application
- Certification on Dynamics or Salesforce CRM systems is a plus, but not required
- Thorough understanding of how systems/data (Anaplan, PowerBI, and SAP) connect with Dynamics data
- Excellent presentation and communication skills
- Fluent in English (working language), fluency in other languages a plus (e.g., French, Spanish, Portuguese)
Candidate Certifications to Look For
- Microsoft Dynamics 365 Fundamentals (CRM). Earning the Dynamics 365 Fundamentals is perfect for candidates looking to increase their knowledge about business operations and customer relationship management (CRM). Candidates will learn how to navigate through Dynamics 365, which is a popular CRM software that helps with resource planning and how to entertain certain target markets. Understanding how to use Dynamics 365 will be critical in their career as a CRM Specialist, so this certification is perfect to earn for all aspiring candidates. This course also teaches relevant skills pertaining to marketing, sales, and customer service.
- Zoho CRM Training for Administrators. Zoho is one of the most popular CRM software programs used in the workforce, so taking this course and earning the certificate will help candidates become experts in using the Zoho software. They won’t only learn the ins and outs of the Zoho program, they’ll learn about data security, how to manage multiple business processes with custom layouts, and how to bring different interactions with customers into one platform. This certification will demonstrate to employers a candidate’s advanced knowledge of the Zoho software.
- Salesforce Certification. While CRM Specialists are primarily responsible for working with CRM software to collect data, it is still important for them to understand the basics of sales and marketing. This certification touches on how to be a good salesman and marketer, but ultimately it teaches candidates to collect, analyze, and retrieve important customer information and create reports based on the information they receive. CRM Specialists need to understand the basics of collecting and analyzing data through the CRM software they use in order to draw conclusions about customers and their needs. This certification will teach prospective CRM specialists how to gather data and make conclusions to share with other departments of the company, which is one of the most critical tasks a CRM specialist is assigned to do.
How to Hire a CRM Specialist
When hiring a CRM specialist, first consider the following:
- Recruiting: Do you have the knowledge, tools, and resources to attract and screen candidates?
- Complexity: Do you need a senior professional, or will mid or junior-level skills and experience suffice?
- Duration: Is this a one-time project or an ongoing need?
- Management: Do you have the time and expertise to direct the work effectively?
- Urgency: How soon does the work need to be completed?
- Headcount: Do you have the budget and approval for an internal employee, or should you consider alternate options?
Answering these questions will help determine the best course of action for your current hiring need. Fortunately, great options exist for every scenario. These are our recommendations:
1. Use 4 Corner Resources (or another professional recruiting firm)
The heavy lifting is done for you when working with a top-tier staffing company like 4 Corner Resources. We source, screen, recruit, and deliver only the most qualified candidate(s), saving you significant time and effort throughout the hiring process while you remain focused on your core business. Understanding your needs and ensuring the right candidate for the position is the key to our success.
This is the best route to take when:
- You need to fill the position quickly
- You want access to a vast talent pool of high-quality, prescreened candidates
- Your position is suited for temporary hiring services, contract staffing, or contract-to-hire recruiting, and you intend to direct the work activity.
- You are hiring an employee as a direct placement but aren’t able to recruit effectively or efficiently with your internal staff.
- You aren’t familiar with current salary rates, market trends, and available skill sets
2. Hire an experienced freelancer
The freelance, or gig, economy continues to grow, with more talent available daily. Freelancers provide high-quality work without a long-term commitment. They can offer you a fresh perspective, more flexibility, and increase efficiency. While the freelance market isn’t ideal for every position, CRM specialists are often a great fit.
We recommend this option when:
- Your need is project-based
- The work can be performed remotely
- You do not intend to direct the daily work activity
- You are hiring for expertise your internal team does not possess
- You do not require an employee to work onsite or follow a specific schedule
When hiring a CRM specialist, we recommend using Upwork.
Upwork is a freelance talent network that helps individuals connect with experts in a variety of fields to accomplish project-based needs. When you have a specific, well-defined goal in mind, this can be a great path to hiring an experienced CRM specialist. If you are satisfied with the outcome you can continue to book the same freelancer through Upwork’s easy-to-use project interface.
3. Advertise your opening on a top job board
Your best option may be to advertise your opening on a proven job board. There are many widely used job sites out there that draw visits from qualified candidates. If you have someone internally who can dedicate the time and energy to sort through applications and screen individuals effectively, this can be a great choice.
We recommend using a job board when:
- Your internal recruiting team has the knowledge and experience to assess candidate qualifications
- You are hiring a direct employee and have time to manage the entire recruiting effort
- You have a process for receiving, screening, and tracking all resumes and applications
- You are prepared to respond to all applicants
We recommend using CareerBuilder for CRM specialist openings:
CareerBuilder has been a trusted source for hiring since 1995. Reach 80+ million unique, diverse U.S. job seekers annually by posting your jobs through their talent acquisition channels. Through CareerBuilder, you can engage candidates and drive them into your sourcing pipeline. We recommend using CareerBuilder for hiring when you have the internal resources and processes to review, screen, and reply to all applicants.
4. Leverage your internal resources
You can utilize your own website, social media, and employees to assist in your search for top candidates.
A company website posting should be the first step in notifying prospective candidates that you are hiring. Social media can also be a powerful tool for spreading the word about your new opening. As far as exposure is concerned, this option can be as good as some job boards when you have a large enough following across various platforms, like LinkedIn, Instagram, Facebook, TikTok, and Twitter.
Current employees are every organization’s greatest asset. Encourage your internal team to promote job openings to their network by offering cash and other incentives.
We recommend these options when:
- Your brand has great name recognition
- You can consistently monitor and respond to candidate activity through your website and social media accounts
- You have a process in place to quickly and broadly communicate job openings and requirements
- You have an effective employee referral program in place
If you aren’t sure which path is best, schedule a discovery call today with our seasoned recruiting professionals. The 4 Corner team is on standby to help you find the best option for your unique hiring need.
Sample Interview Questions
- What is a CRM system?
- What are the pros of using a CRM system?
- What made you interested in CRM management?
- How do you understand a buyer’s persona?
- What are the most important skills a CRM Specialist can possess?
- What different types of CRM are there?
- What challenges come along with implementing CRM?
- What CRM software are you most familiar with?
- What are the main features of CRM software?
- How can you work with our marketing and sales team to help convert CRM leads into sales?
- What previous experience do you have with customer service?
- Tell me about a time you had a hard time implementing a new CRM application. How did you overcome the challenges that came along with it?
- How do you deal with technical issues that arise within a CRM system?
- How do you stay up-to-date on different applications or software of a CRM application?
- How do you inform others of the information you gather on customers?