What Does a Treasurer Do?
Treasurers oversee and, in some cases, manage the financial resources and operations of an organization. They create and manage budgets, analyze financial performance, forecast cash flow, and ensure the organization complies with financial regulations. A treasurer may either be responsible for managing the finances directly, or he may manage a team that does so in a larger company.
Treasurers must possess strong analytical skills and the ability to communicate effectively with other executive team members. A treasurer is often a trusted advisor to the CEO and other senior leaders, providing financial insights and recommendations to support decision-making and long-term planning.
Are you a job seeker?
of job openings
and apply online
National Average Salary
Treasurer salaries vary by experience, industry, organization size, and geography. To explore salary ranges by local market, please visit our sister site zengig.com.
The average U.S. salary for a Treasurer is:
Treasurer Job Descriptions
The Treasurer will be responsible for banking relationship management, corporate liquidity, investments, and risk management related to the company’s financial activities, including cash flow forecasting, business analysis, and financial reporting.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to: providing senior management with insight and reporting as it pertains to the Company’s cash position, liquidity, and information about the Company’s overall business activities and the implication on overall cash management.
This role will report to the Controller and will also liaison with the corporate financial staff as required. Provide leadership and guidance supporting the overall business philosophy and principles.
- Oversee activities regarding cash flow management and forecasting
- Forecast cash flow positions, related borrowing needs, and available funds for investment
- Ensure that sufficient funds are available to meet ongoing operational and capital investment requirements
- Maintain banking relationships
- Monitor the activities of third parties handling outsourced treasury functions on behalf of the company
- Advise management on the liquidity aspects of its short and long-range planning
- Maintain a system of policies and procedures that impose an adequate level of control over treasury activities
- Work with management to develop and improve strategies and increase net profit by performing effective treasury management
- Prepares frequent reports on corporation’s cash position
- Forecasts short-range and long-range cash requirements and obligations
- Assumes other special projects and responsibilities as required
- Working Capital manager and cash management teams
- Develops an adequate plan for backup and succession of management and other key personnel as it pertains to treasury and working capital
- Monitors performance of direct reports. Provides prompt and objective coaching and counseling
- Acts within scope of authority and consistent with company and corporate objectives, guidelines, policies, and practices
- 3+ years of progressively responsible treasury experience for a major company
- Should have a thorough understanding of investments, bank account management, and international funds flows
- Bachelor’s Degree in Finance or Accounting is required
- Minimum (2) years of relevant experience
- Strong knowledge of U.S. banking practices and cash management systems
- Strong knowledge of US GAAP required
- Knowledge of enterprise risk management best practices preferred
- Ability to communicate complex financial issues in simple, understandable terms
- Financial analysis skills and demonstrated ability to manage computer operations and applications
- Strong knowledge of accounting processes and internal controls, preferably, with experience in a banking environment
- Must possess strong analytical and critical thinking skills and be detail-oriented
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Computer proficiency required
The Treasurer position is a critical role for ABC Company and is one of the most impactful and high-profile roles within the bank. This leader is the key individual on point to manage and optimize the company’s $177B balance sheet, formulating strategies to protect against risks and capture opportunities, including capital management, interest rate risk management, liquidity management, and regulatory and internal process adherence. In addition, this person is a key leader within the Finance organization and the overall enterprise. This person oversees a high performing Treasury team with over fifty professionals and five direct reports. This person is also a member of the Finance & Strategy Leadership Team and provides leadership to many function-wide colleague initiatives. The Treasurer is charged with significant communications responsibilities both within the company with executive management and key business leaders, as well as externally with important regulatory, rating agency, and other market contacts.
- Functions as the top treasury official for the corporation
- Has overall responsibility for capital planning, stress testing, strategy, and policy
- Directs the corporation’s liquidity management processes including Internal Liquidity Stress Testing, HoldCo cash flow forecasting, 2052a regulatory reporting, debt issuance, overnight funding, and period liquidity reporting to the Board of Directors
- Responsible for assessment, implementation, and management of the securities portfolio
- Responsible for Asset Liability management functions, including modeling of interest rate risk and economic value of equity, and recommending strategies to maintain firms risk position within corporation’s risk tolerance
- Manages hedge portfolio to facilitate execution of interest rate risk and capital protection strategies
- Monitors the markets for opportunities to minimize interest rate risk obtain best execution on wholesale funding and hedging strategies
- Provides timely and meaningful consultation to the executive management and the Board of Directors
- Serves as a key resource in responding to questions and information requests both internally and externally
- Guides financial decisions by establishing, monitoring, and enforcing policies and procedures
- Ensures treasury practices are in compliance with all applicable state and federal regulations, as well as with ABC Company’s internal policies, procedures, and control systems
- Bachelor’s Degree in Finance or Economics
- 10+ years experience in a bank treasury function, 15+ years experience in finance role in financial services industry
- 10 years proven managerial/leadership experience
- Master’s Degree or MBA
- Understanding of bank or financial sector key performance metrics/financials
- Deep understanding of economics, financial markets, and competitive landscape
- Strong communication skills with the ability to communicate complex financial scenarios and tradeoffs
- Collaborative team building skills
- Executive presence and ability to communicate with Board of Directors and executive committees
- Experience working with multiple regulators in a dynamic regulatory environment
ABC Company’s Treasurer is responsible for leading the overall capital structuring, cash management, stock repurchase program, and global insurance programs, including the Captive Insurance structure/program, for the company. The role is also responsible for developing the strategy, policies, processes, and controls for all treasury functions, including, all financing and capital structuring, banking relationships, foreign exchange management, including hedging programs, and risk management programs. Today, the role has two direct reports, including a Treasury manager, and a manager/director of risk management and insurance. This role regularly presents to the Executive Leadership Team and the Board of Directors.
- Responsible for supervising all activities related to effective cash management of cash, control of funds (including movement from the subs to corporate), and short-term borrowings and investments for operations worldwide
- Implement new or existing cash management services to maximize treasury efficiencies, including evaluating systems to improve efficiencies
- Assist the tax department and Business Unit finance leaders to maximize liquidity and cash generation
Capital Allocation Strategy
- Recommend strategy for execution and management of debt structuring, including for all acquisitions opportunities
- Maintain and drive all banking relationships, including external communication with pertinent financial institutions, including sourcing, and negotiating new financing arrangements
- Negotiate with bank representatives, bank counsel, and underwriters, as well as maintain those relationships
- Maintain a financial flexibility tax optimized capital structure that ensures continuous improvement of the balance sheet and cash flows with primary responsibility for optimizing the company’s cost of capital, minimizing risk, and maximizing returns
- Monitor conditions to ensure the compliance with financial covenants; and monitor overall cost of capital trends and outlook
- Primary liaison with rating agencies
Foreign Exchange Management
- Implement and maintain a centralized FX hedging strategy that involves enhancing existing policies and establishing additional guidelines
- Make recommendations/develop strategy on how to best mitigate both local and global FX exposure versus commitments in the current calendar year and potentially longer term
- Develop and recommend effective interest rate risk management hedging strategies as appropriate
Risk Management & Insurance
- Manage the company’s portfolio of global insurance policies for the core property and casualty insurance coverages, including managing the professional, and financial insurance coverages
- In partnership with the risk management committee, evaluate and manage global business risks, and plan mitigation strategies
- Participates with other senior managers to establish strategic business plans and objectives. Makes final decision on administrative or operational matters for areas under management and ensures operation’s effective achievement of objectives
- Regularly interacts with Senior Management, Board of Directors, and external vendors. Interactions frequently involve special skills, such as negotiating with external vendors or management or influencing senior level leaders regarding matters of significance to the organization
- Directs and controls the activities of the Treasury Department. Has overall control of planning, staffing, budgeting, managing expense priorities, and recommending and implementing changes to methods
- Hire and develop a strong team to support the company’s objectives and strategy
Required experience, education, skills, and competencies
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in Treasury Functions
- Experience with Capital Markets, particularly capital structuring and strategies
- Experience with foreign Exchange and intercompany cash management and structuring
- Acquisition experience, particularly acquisition financing and integration
- Previous experience in a public company
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Detail oriented and organized with strong focus on data accuracy
- Ability to meet tight deadlines and handle multiple tasks/projects
- Demonstrated intellectual curiosity and strong problem-solving skills (agility); able to elicit and comprehend quantitative and qualitative information
- Self-starter with the demonstrated ability to work in a fast-paced atmosphere with minimal supervision
- Demonstrated Leader, both within the function and company-wide
- Certified Treasury Professional (CTP) or Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) designation is ideal
- Occasional travel is required to ABC Company global locations
- Less than 20%
- Ability to demonstrate proof of up to date Covid-19 vaccination status per current CDC guidelines (full vaccination dose and booster, if eligible) prior to employment start day
Sample Interview Questions
- Describe your experience managing and preparing budgets.
- What is your process for investment decision-making?
- How do you approach risk management?
- Give us an example of a time you successfully navigated a complex financial situation.
- Have you encountered a complex financial situation you were unable to resolve? Please describe what took place.
- How do you remain current with financial regulations and legal statutes?
- Has there been a time when you had to communicate unexpectedly bad financial information to stakeholders? How did you approach the situation?
- Describe your communication style as a leader.
- Describe your experience with the preparation of financial statements.
- Describe your experience working with auditors.
- Describe, in detail, your experience and approach to cash flow management.
- Describe the tools you use and the approach you take when creating forecasts.