What Does an Inbound Customer Service Representative Do?
Inbound customer service representatives answer incoming calls and work with customers to resolve questions, give directions, and fix potential problems.
Inbound customer service representatives are the “face” of their company. They are the first point of contact for customers, so they’re responsible for bringing awareness to their business, recording leads, and even sometimes making sales. It is essential for inbound customer service representatives to stay positive and accommodating throughout every conversation since they act as the first impression of the company.
This role focuses on creating positive relationships with potential customers by handling questions, complaints, or suggestions callers may have to help build customer loyalty. Inbound customer service representatives that offer good customer service and help drive revenue may be rewarded with additional commissions or be promoted to higher positions within their organization.
Are you a job seeker?
of job openings
and apply online
National Average Salary
Inbound customer service representative salaries vary by experience, industry, organization size, and geography. To explore salary ranges by local market, please visit our sister site zengig.com.
The average U.S. salary for an Inbound Customer Service Representative is:
Inbound Customer Service Representative Job Descriptions
It’s important to include the right content in your job description when hiring an inbound customer service representative. The following examples can serve as templates for attracting the best available talent for your team.
[Your Company Name] needs new inbound customer service representatives! We are looking for an energetic and extroverted native English speaker who can field incoming calls and build a quality relationship with our customers. This position requires previous customer service experience. [Your Company Name] is looking for a full-time and committed representative who is able to field calls, answer inquiries about products, and manage and submit customer inquiries. Strong listening skills are required, as well as previous work experience in the customer service or customer support field. Familiarity with CRM systems is a bonus but not required for this position, as training will be provided.
Typical duties and responsibilities
- Answer incoming calls from customers with inquiries on product orders
- Assist various departments in facilitating sales of all products in the company portfolio
- Analyze customer issues and assist in resolving within the required timeframe
- Coordinate with customers and ensure appropriate questioning to identify issues
- Manage all customer inquiries and summarize to present to management
- Administer and prioritize customer tasks and ensure achievement of all deadlines within the required timeframe
- Maintain accuracy of all data and verify the same for all customer services
Education and experience
- High school diploma or GED required (an associate degree is preferred)
Required skills and qualifications
- Proven customer service/support experience
- Strong phone contact handling skills and active listening
- Familiar with CRM systems and practices
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Ability to multitask, prioritize and manage time effectively
As an Inbound Customer Service Representative, you will communicate with our customers via email and inbound or outbound calls to coordinate their charter bus trips. You will learn some logistics of the transportation industry and work alongside our bus operations teams to ensure that our customers have a safe and enjoyable experience during their event!
- Manage a high volume of inbound/outbound phone and email contacts from both current and prospective customers who are calling to receive quotes for new charters or ask questions about upcoming charters
- Easily navigate through multiple systems and websites
- Using basic sales techniques, understand customer’s needs to receive all required information needed to develop quotes, upsell on every interaction to increase the value of the order, or identify other sales opportunities within ABC Company
- Once the information has been received from the customer, develop the quote which will need to include any local requirements, consideration for any applicable ancillary fees, and mapping out a trip
- Enters and sends booking invitations to locations with available capacity (via phone, Sharepoint or Outlook depending on appointment urgency)
- All other duties assigned
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Previous experience providing customer service or sales in a call center environment is preferred but not required
- Effective oral and written communications skills; must demonstrate a professional and polished demeanor with a positive, upbeat, and friendly personality
- Good customer service skills; must be passionate about delivering quality service and making a difference in the customer experience
- Ability to listen attentively, solve problems creatively, and create win-win situations with internal and external customers
- Basic math skills and an understanding of military time is strongly preferred
ABC Company is seeking experienced Inbound Customer Service Representatives to join our fast-paced call center located in downtown (City)!
What you will be doing:
- Answering phones in a polite, courteous, and professional manner
- Address everything from billing to delivery to digital
- Ask probing questions to identify customer issues or concerns
- Knowing when to escalate an issue or concern
- Provide online support for current print and digital subscribers
- Handle all calls with customers so that the customer is 100% satisfied when the call ends
- Maintain customer satisfaction ratings outlined in company policy
- Meet or exceed minimum performance standards outlined in company policy
Ideal candidates will have:
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Superior phone etiquette skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to multi-task while maintaining on-call accuracy
- Familiarity with Outlook and Word
- Ability to sit for an extended period of time
- Willingness to work a flexible schedule including days, evenings, weekends, and holidays
- Ability to type 30 WPM without errors
- At least 1 year of experience in customer service preferred
We are seeking individuals who are dedicated to providing exceptional customer service to our customers. Our Inbound Fraud department is the central unit that receives inbound calls from credit, debit, and corporate/government card customers related to suspicious and unauthorized activity.
No prior experience in banking or fraud is necessary. We offer comprehensive and ongoing training to ensure our Representatives are prepared to deliver efficient, knowledgeable, and empathetic customer service.
- Answering incoming calls and providing high-quality support to our credit and debit card customers over the phones
- Performing a variety of tasks to prevent financial loss by blocking or placing security holds on accounts, placing lost/stolen statuses on debit and credit accounts, and forwarding fraud and dispute information to the appropriate parties
- Initiating fraud claims and providing information on existing fraud and dispute claims
- Partnering with multiple departments to service fraud and dispute issues
- Documenting fraud alerts, building case files, and escalating fraud alerts to appropriate groups
- High school diploma or equivalent
- One to two years of customer service experience
- One to two years of experience using a computer, especially Microsoft Office applications
- Some knowledge of consumer, debit, and corporate/government card products
- Ability to identify and interpret data and resolve exceptions
- Ability to work with unwritten but generally understood instructions; relying on precedents when available or applicable
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong problem-solving and negotiation skills as well as the ability to handle difficult customer calls
- Proficient computer skills, especially Microsoft Office applications
Candidate Certifications to Look For
- Customer Service Certification. This Customer Service certification is extremely useful for inbound customer service representatives. Certifications for customer service will cover customer service basics, communication skills and techniques, and problem-solving skills. Real-world experience is simulated through the use of simulated phone calls and similar customer service scenarios.
- COPC Customer Experience (CX) Standard. The COPC customer experience certificate is a recognized and trusted standard for customer experience training, thus proving extremely useful for providing a communication and customer service standard for an inbound customer service representative.
- Customer Service Representative Certificate. The Customer Service Representative certificate (CSR) is offered to provide online video courses on the basics of customer service, how to apply for a customer service job or position, and other important information for an inbound representative.
How to Hire an Inbound Customer Service Representative
Consider the following when hiring an inbound customer service representative:
- Recruiting: Do you have the internal resources and tools to source and recruit for this role successfully?
- Complexity: Do you need a senior professional, or will mid, or even junior-level skills suffice?
- Duration: Is this a one-time project, or an indefinite need?
- Management: Can you effectively direct the work effort?
- Urgency: Are there any deadlines associated with this need?
- Headcount: Do you have the budget and approval for an internal employee, or should you consider alternate options?
Answering these questions will help determine the best course of action for your current hiring need. Fortunately, various great options exist for every scenario, no matter how unique. When hiring an inbound customer service representative, we recommend the following options:
1. Use 4 Corner Resources (or another professional recruiting firm)
The heavy lifting is done for you when working with a top-tier staffing company like 4 Corner Resources. We source, screen, recruit, and deliver only the most qualified candidate(s), saving you significant time and effort throughout the hiring process while you remain focused on your core business. Understanding your needs and ensuring the right candidate for the position is the key to our success.
This is the best route to take when:
- You need to fill the position quickly
- You want access to a vast talent pool of high-quality, prescreened candidates
- Your position is suited for temporary hiring services, contract staffing, or contract-to-hire recruiting, and you intend to direct the work activity.
- You are hiring an employee as a direct placement but aren’t able to recruit effectively or efficiently with your internal staff.
- You aren’t familiar with current salary rates, market trends, and available skill sets
2. Advertise your opening on a top job board
Your best option may be to advertise your opening on a proven job board. There are many widely used job sites out there that draw visits from qualified candidates. If you have someone internally who can dedicate the time and energy to sort through applications and screen individuals effectively, this can be a great choice.
We recommend using a job board when:
- Your internal recruiting team has the knowledge and experience to assess candidate qualifications
- You are hiring a direct employee and have time to manage the entire recruiting effort
- You have a process for receiving, screening, and tracking all resumes and applications
- You are prepared to respond to all applicants
We recommend using CareerBuilder when hiring an inbound customer service representative:
CareerBuilder has been a trusted source for hiring since 1995. Reach 80+ million unique, diverse U.S. job seekers annually by posting your jobs through their talent acquisition channels. Through CareerBuilder, you can engage candidates and drive them into your sourcing pipeline. We recommend using CareerBuilder for hiring when you have the internal resources and processes to review, screen, and reply to all applicants.
3. Leverage your internal resources
You can utilize your own website, social media, and employees to assist in your search for top candidates.
A company website posting should be the first step in notifying prospective candidates that you are hiring. Social media can also be a powerful tool for spreading the word about your new opening. As far as exposure is concerned, this option can be as good as some job boards when you have a large enough following across various platforms, like LinkedIn, Instagram, Facebook, TikTok, and Twitter.
Current employees are every organization’s greatest asset. Encourage your internal team to promote job openings to their network by offering cash and other incentives.
We recommend these options when:
- Your brand has great name recognition
- You can consistently monitor and respond to candidate activity through your website and social media accounts
- You have a process in place to quickly and broadly communicate job openings and requirements
- You have an effective employee referral program in place
If you aren’t sure which path is best, schedule a discovery call today with our seasoned recruiting professionals. The 4 Corner team is on standby to help you find the best option for your unique hiring need.
Sample Interview Questions
- Do you have good listening skills?
- Are you comfortable communicating and remaining professional with dissatisfied customers?
- How do you do in a high-stress environment?
- What would be your solution if you were unable to assist a customer with their problem?
- How would you handle a dissatisfied customer with a known problem that has not been resolved yet?
- Do you have any previous experience with customer service or help desk support?
- Have you ever worked in a call center before?
- Are you familiar with phone dialers, ticketing systems, or other call center tools?
- Are you able to de-escalate high-pressure situations when customers are dissatisfied?
- Are you able to speak comfortably for long periods of time?