What Does a Loss Control Consultant Do?
Loss control consultants are tasked with interpreting and helping mitigate risk in industrial and commercial settings. They recommend and create solutions for insurance companies to offer cost-effective coverage.
These consultants work for a wide variety of companies, from private agencies to insurance companies, or consulting firms. They create and maintain channels of communication with professionals within their network, and stay apprised of pertinent changes in the field. Identifying points of highest risk, and providing cost-effective solutions is the primary goal of this position.
This role involves handling large amounts of information, and potentially massive amounts of clients’ money. These consultants will generally be expected to be well-educated, and highly certified. Possessing OSHA, OHST, SMS, LPC, as well as many other designations will make a candidate stand out. Having exceptional communication skills, as well as managerial experience is also a major benefit.
Are you a job seeker?
of job openings
and apply online
National Average Salary
Loss control consultant salaries vary by experience, industry, organization size, and geography. To explore salary ranges by local market, please visit our sister site zengig.com.
The average U.S. salary for a Loss Control Consultant is:
Loss Control Consultant Job Descriptions
Our team is excited to add an experienced Loss Control Consultant to provide loss control support to our underwriting, agents, and policyholders. You’ll manage Arizona and New Mexico as your territory providing loss control services to our policyholders across a variety of industries, helping them improve their safety practices.
What you can expect
- Careeer mobility, access to tools and training, autonomy, and agile environment
- Visibility to senior leaders and partnership with cross functional teams
- Culture of innovation, teamwork, supportive colleagues, and leaders willing to invest in talent
- Opportunity to lead change
- Benefits – competitive salary, paid time off, comprehensive wellness benefits and programs, profit sharing, 401k, tuition assistance, and education
We’ll count on you to
- Provide high quality, cost effective service to our customers which consistently meets or exceeds their expectations, and assists them in minimizing their losses
- Act as the technical consultant to underwriters in risk selection and renewal decisions
- Provide timely, professional reports, and consultative support to our underwriters, as well as other functions, as may be needed to assist in superior risk selection, pricing, and retention of profitable business
- Assist in the development of innovative, distinctive and cost effective service methods and tools to identify and quantify risk, and reduce losses
- Help maintain targeted loss control files as required by statutory requirements
- Research and compile technical document information as needed to provide consultative services to our customers
- Distribute loss control technical bulletins as directed by Home Office Loss Control Management
What you need to have:
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Engineering, Industrial Technology, Occupational Health & Safety, or one of the Applied Sciences
- 7+ years in the insurance industry providing loss control services
- Knowledge of insurance coverage
- Ability to travel within assigned territory
- Must have either a ALCM or OSHT or ARM or ASP or CSP or other similar Safety Designation
- Must be fully vaccinated and remain fully vaccinated against COVID-19*, unless prohibited by law
What makes you stand out
- ALCM, OSHT, ARM, ASP, CSP, or other similar Safety Designation
- Strong organization skills with the ability to prioritize their workload to meet time tables
- Ability to effectively communicate or present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, agents, and other employees of the organization
- Ability to project a warm and friendly manner in all business contacts and maintain a professional relationship with fellow workers, agency contacts, and the public
ABC Company is looking for a Loss Control Consultant to join our growing team. This field-based position will work from their home in (State).
Key responsibilities include:
- Conduct onsite calls for the purpose of providing service to existing accounts
- Conduct onsite calls for the purpose of completing risk assessments of prospective accounts
- Provide verbal and written correspondence to underwriting; consult with underwriters to determine risk acceptability
- Work with agents to foster and develop relationships and to secure new business
- Facilitate training presentations with policyholder employees, leadership and owners, as well as agency partners, associations, and other large groups
- Effectively analyze risk exposures, loss trends, and effectiveness of safety controls and develop recommendations and service plans designed to reduce loss frequency
The successful candidate will be able to work independently, scheduling appointments with assigned accounts, completing required documentation and implementing safety best practices to reduce losses. The candidate will be organized, detailed, and personable – being able to interact successfully with laborers, business owners, underwriters, and agents.
Preferred experience and skills
- 3-5 years of experience in safety, loss control or related field
- Demonstrated experience servicing large/complex accounts of various classes of business with little guidance and shows the ability to successfully address and reduce loss drivers
- Demonstrates ability to take on advanced projects, engage with internal and external peers to solve problems, attend professional development conferences, and/or is involved with professional associations to expand their expertise
- Previous experience working for/with a multi-line insurance carrier
- Proficient with Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Proven interpersonal, presentation, marketing, oral and written communication skills
- Problem solving, critical thinking, active listening, negotiation, and decision-making skills
- Valid driver’s license required
Preferred education and training
- Bachelor’s degree in Loss Control, Risk Management, Safety, or related field
- Designation in safety, health, or insurance (ARM, CRM, CIC, CFPS, etc.)
ABC Company currently has multiple 1099 positions available for Loss Control & Risk Management Consultants in and around the (City) area. We are seeking candidates who have experience in Commercial Loss Control Visits, Direct Industry Safety Experience, Insurance Property, and Casualty Inspections, etc.
- Performs Physical, Virtual, and Phone Surveys: including description of operations, evaluation of exposures and controls, analysis of loss data, and an evaluation of the effectiveness of insured safety and training programs
- Manages all accounts including scheduling, conducting, and report writing
- Provides value-added services to Insurance Carriers & Brokers, Insured’s, Owners, Developers, General Contractors, Subcontractors, etc.
- Maintains internal status update with current accounts and information
- Maintains excellent communication at all levels, meets deadlines, etc.
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s Degree and at least 3 year’s experience conducting Insurance Property & Casualty Risk Assessments, Loss Control Surveys, etc.
- The following certifications are not required but beneficial: CSP, ASP, ARM, CRIS, CFPS, CHST, OHST, CFSM, CIH
- Knowledge of Federal, State, and Local safety standards, regulations, and codes
- Must meet state regulatory compliance qualifications, where applicable
- Understanding of Workers Compensation, General Liability, NYC Labor Law, Property, and Auto Liability Coverages
- Experience with Construction, Property and Casualty Insurance, and various types of Risk Management exposures
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, and ability to work with a variety of internal and external contacts
- Excellent time management skills & knowledge of computer programs, systems, and Microsoft Office
- Ability to travel within a reasonable territory
- Ability to provide training is a plus
- Ability to observe insured operations and evaluate management practices to determine if safety issues and hazards affecting insurance premium are adequately controlled
Sample Interview Questions
- In your opinion, what are the roles of a loss control consultant?
- What are the qualities a loss control consultant needs to do their job successfully?
- What is the key to ensuring a company is compliant with all laws, regulations, and standards that are applicable to a loss control consultant’s area of responsibility?
- What factors do you consider when recommending measures to help protect workers from potentially hazardous work methods, processes, or materials?
- Describe your daily routine as a loss control consultant.
- Tell me about your experience preparing and presenting risk assessments and reports.
- How do you gain buy-in from key stakeholders?
- Tell me about a time when you had to source information from multiple people or locations. How did you make a determination about what information was relevant?
- What is the biggest loss control challenge you have faced, and how did you handle it?
- Are you comfortable using a variety of different computer applications?
- Do you have extensive knowledge of safety issues, safety rules, worker’s compensation, business operations, risk assessments, and liability claims?