What Does an HR Manager Do?
HR managers oversee the human resource department to ensure all administrative activities and personnel are well taken care of. To excel in this role, HR managers must have strong communication and teamwork skills.
HR managers are responsible for planning, coordinating, and directing administrative duties of an organization. This includes interviewing and hiring new employees, speaking with other executives about strategic planning, and conducting performance reviews. HR managers should create effective training materials and performance management plans to give employees ways to grow in their position.
This job offer gives HR managers the opportunity to enhance the workplace environment by motivating employees and keeping them happy. It is important for HR managers to understand the job market in order to offer competitive pay and benefits. If they succeed in these duties, the HR manager could be promoted to VP of human resources.
Are you a job seeker?
of job openings
and apply online
National Average Salary
HR manager salaries vary by experience, industry, organization size, and geography. To explore salary ranges by local market, please visit our sister site zengig.com.
The average U.S. salary for a HR Manager is:
HR Manager Job Descriptions
- Performance and talent management (employee development & succession planning, annual review processes, termination processes, etc.) in partnership with local practices and applicable business processes
- Site project coordination around policies, processes and change management, in partnership with the VP of HR
- Oversee the talent acquisition process for hourly and salaried hires (recruiting, new hire on-boarding, and orientation)
- Partner with the plant leadership team to ensure HR initiatives are aligned with organizational goals and objectives
- Collecting and analyzing employment data to drive decision making process
- Plans, organizes, and controls all activities of the department. Participates in developing department goals, objectives, and systems
- Foster a “trusted advisor” relationship, establishing strong working relationships throughout the company with a customer service orientated philosophy so that people seek out HR for help in working through organizational and people opportunities and have confidence in HR’s ability to deliver high-quality and efficient solutions
- Drive the alignment and execution of key people strategies that attract, train, and retain employees to support the organization’s short and long-term business goals
- Responsible for ensuring high morale and strong employee relations. Coordinate activities and programs to promote employee engagement based on current needs and Employee Engagement Survey results
- Understand and comply with all current plant policies and procedures. Update policies and procedures when necessary and communicate accordingly throughout the Plant
- Conduct employee relations investigations as needed, and make recommendations on any potential corrective action
- Maintain compliance with federal and state regulations concerning employment practices. Work closely with legal when necessary
- Create and communicate departmental and plant-wide goals as part of the Annual Operating Plan (Strategic Planning) process
- Develop and lead training and development initiatives as required
- Ensure strong communications and provide guidance on change management initiatives
- Effectively deploys performance management and rewards processes to drive required levels of employee accountability for desired performance results and ensure retention of top performers
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources or related field is required
- Master’s degree in related area and/or HR certifications is a plus
- 5-7 years of HR experience (generalist/specialist combined) in a manufacturing environment
- Successful track record of performance in a Plant HR Manager role
- Proven capability to coach and mentor managers and employees in a positive and inclusive environment
- A solutions oriented mindset and an adaptive style, with bias for action. Additionally, proven ability to effectively manage multiple projects independently with minimal supervision
- A proven ability to lead and drive change, as well as to effectively influence other organizational leadership to support change initiatives
- Experience in developing high performance work environments
- Strong analytical and computer skills. A high level of proficiency in all MS Office products is required as well as knowledge and use of HRIS systems and reporting
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to effectively present to all levels of management
- Demonstrated ability to lead and drive change across shifts, across functions in a manufacturing environment
- Experience supporting performance management, talent management, compensation, and other HR functionalities
- Demonstrated leadership ability with proven experience in strategy development and problem solving
- This individual will manage the tactical day-to-day Human Resources operations as well as providing the strategic oversight in initiatives such as scheduling/rosters, cross training, D&I focuses, etc.
- System/Administrative and governance responsibilities such as: payroll, auditing, training, job evaluation, job requisitions/bid process, COVID tracking & reporting, new hires, terminations, separation agreements, retirement, unemployment, FMLA, ADA, employee records, benefits, performance, etc.
- Reviews and analyzes market data to identify trends and recommend solutions for performance improvement, retention, and enhancement of the employee experience
- Provides management coaching to build leadership capabilities related to talent assessments and resolution of employee issues and recognition
- Partner with the leadership team to understand and execute the facility’s human resource and talent strategy particularly as it relates to current and future talent needs, recruiting, retention, and succession planning
- Works with managers and employees to address employee relations issues of all types, ensuring that the interests of all parties are represented in a fair and balanced manner
- Hosts, communicates, and/or support company initiatives in one-on-one and/or group training sessions as appropriate
- Forms and oversees Employee Resource Groups to foster a diverse and inclusive workplace
- Performs other duties as assigned
Qualifications and experience requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, Business Administration, or related field preferred or a combination of education and experience
- A minimum of three years of human resource management experience required
- PHR/SPHR Certification is a plus
- Must have excellent P.C. Skills including Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal, negotiation, and conflict resolution skills
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to prioritize tasks and to delegate them when appropriate
- Ability to act with integrity, professionalism, and confidentiality
- Oversees all aspects of a multi-functional HR Department including Compensation, Employment, Benefits, Training, Safety and Health, Recruiting, Employee Relations, and Labor Relations
- Responsible for compliance with all applicable Federal and State Laws including EEO, FMLA, HIPAA, ADA, and Collective Bargaining
- Responsible for developing and continually improving the safety and health processes for the facility and compliance with applicable regulations
- Conducts periodic training on applicable topics including sexual harassment, diversity, and employment laws
- Responsible for meeting the staffing needs of the organization. This includes the selection, testing, and hiring of employees as well as conducting new employee orientation
- Responsible for developing and improving the knowledge and skills of the organization. This includes analyzing training needs, determining how to deliver the training needs, as well as coaching and mentoring
- Coordinates labor relations activities including contract interpretation and grievance administration. Handles complaints, settles disputes, resolves grievances and conflicts, and conducts internal investigative procedures
- Responsible for the administrative aspects of the human resources function including maintaining records and confidential employee files, and providing statistical and regulatory reporting
- Researches and introduces policy changes for General Manager and Leadership Team approval. Consults and advises Leadership Team on topics of interest that could have a major impact on employee morale
- Lead the employee engagement effort
- Bachelor’s degree (B. A.) from four-year college or university; or 5+ years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Requires effective written and oral communication
- Professional negotiating skills
- Ability to investigate and assess employee conflicts objectively and solve such issues using a variety of methods and tools, including coaching and conflict resolution
- Skilled user of Microsoft Office
- Strong organizational, analytical, and project management skills
- Strong customer service orientation
Sample Interview Questions
- What interests you about being an HR manager for our company?
- What do you like most about working in human resources?
- What are your future goals as an HR employee?
- What made you consider HR as a profession?
- Why do you want to work for our company?
- Can you describe the reasons you think you are the best fit for the HR manager position in our company?