What Does a Network Administrator Do?
Network administrators manage and maintain an organization’s computer network systems, including hardware, software, and communication systems. Their job is to ensure that the network is operating efficiently and securely and to troubleshoot any issues that may arise. There is a wide variety of organizations that hire professionals in this role, including businesses, governments, and non-profits.
In order to be successful in network administration, individuals must have a deep understanding of computer networking principles, such as TCP/IP, routing protocols, and network security. A network administrator has expertise in network design, configuration, and implementation and can troubleshoot and resolve problems quickly and efficiently. They are analytical and problem-solving experts, capable of working under pressure and meeting strict deadlines. Additionally, they must be able to communicate effectively with non-technical stakeholders and other IT professionals.
Are you a job seeker?
of job openings
and apply online
National Average Salary
Network administrator salaries vary by experience, industry, organization size, and geography. To explore salary ranges by local market, please visit our sister site zengig.com.
The average U.S. salary for a Network Administrator is:
Network Administrator Job Descriptions
It’s important to include the right content in your job description when hiring a network administrator. The following examples can serve as templates for attracting the best available talent for your team.
[Your company name] is hiring an experienced network administrator to oversee our computer systems and database networks. Considered candidates will have at least three to five years of experience and excellent communication skills. Network administrators are responsible for securing and maintaining computer networks and systems, installing, configuring, and fixing software and hardware, monitoring computer systems for performance, and communicating issues with supervisors and other employees. If you are a critical thinker with the ability to pay attention to details and manage multiple projects at once, our company just might be the perfect fit for you.
Typical duties and responsibilities
- Fully support, configure, maintain, and upgrade corporate networks and in-house servers
- Install and integrate new server hardware and applications
- Specify system requirements and design solutions
- Procure network equipment
- Managing subcontractors involved with network installation
- Maximize network performance through ongoing monitoring and troubleshooting
Education and experience
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or a related field required
- Professional certification, such as the Cisco Certified Network Associate, is strongly preferred
Required skills and qualifications
- Experience with firewalls, internet VPNs, remote implementation, troubleshooting, and problem resolution
- Knowledge of various networking platforms like Windows Server, SolarWinds, Cisco, and Linux
- Ability to set up and configure server hardware
- Hands-on experience in networking, routing, and switching
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- At least 3 to 5 years working as a network administrator
- Must present a highly professional image and attitude
- Excellent customer-facing and communication skills
- Possess strong organizational and time management skills
The Network Administrator is responsible for administering and monitoring ABC Company’s network to ensure stable operation of the organizations network, systems, and hardware. This position is responsible for the deployment and security of the infrastructure including configuration and support of network servers, directory services, backup and recovery, network security, mobility, endpoints, and security monitoring, and tuning. The Network Administrator also ensures the appropriate availability and provisioning of resources in a virtual server environment and associated storage area network.
- Day-to-day network administration including security and patch management, user account management, Google Suite management, Internet access, and applications support
- Proactively manage, maintain, and optimize server, network, and firewall systems
- Administer and support Core Microsoft, Cisco, and VMWare technologies
- Administer and support CrowdStrike Endpoint Security Management software
- Actively monitor and proactively address alerts encountered by users and automated monitoring systems
- Make timely upgrades and repairs to ensure systems are operating optimally
- Assign and update user security permissions on the network
- Ensure email and data storage networks work optimally and user workstations are working efficiently and remain connected to the central computer network
- Install and configure network hardware and software
- Maintain inventory and configuration documentation
- Define and document best practices and support procedures; Train users in the proper use of hardware and software. Interact with vendors and team members at the technical level, as required
- Implement and enforce all cyber security policies and procedures
- Application of HIPAA rules and regulations to work tasks at all times
- Research and recommend current and future technology resources, purchases, and services to meet the organization’s needs as requested. Assist in analyzing design and network models as needed. Participate on committees/task forces as requested
- Participate in an afterhours rotating call schedule
- Regular attendance and punctuality for scheduled shifts
- Must adhere to safety protocols at all times
- Implement ABC Company Standards of Behavior and exhibit behaviors consistent with ABC Company core values
- Performs other related duties as assigned by the department Director
Advanced networking skill in organizing, installing, and supporting an organization’s computer network, including local area networks (LANs), wide area networks (WANs), network segments, intranets, and other data communication systems. Advanced analytical skill when evaluating networks and systems to make sure that they perform reliably and to anticipate requirements as customers’ needs change. Advanced security knowledge.
Ability to describe problems and their solutions to non-IT workers. Ability to use analysis and critical thinking in order to assess processes and recommend effective and efficient solutions. Experience working well independently and in a team setting. Excellent problem solving and relationship building. Ability to work on many problems and tasks at the same time. Ability to quickly resolve problems. Ability to adapt procedures, processes, tools, equipment, and techniques to accomplish the requirements of the position.
Education and/or Experience
Bachelor’s degree in a field related to computer or information science. Four (4) years of experience in a network administration. VMWare administrator experience preferred. Significant years of direct network administration work experience and certifications may be considered in lieu of degree.
Certifications, Licenses, Registrations
CompTia Network +, CompTia Security+, and Cisco CCNA certification preferred.
This position requires respirator and fit testing. Required testing will be performed on all team members at risk for exposure to airborne infectious diseases, droplet producing procedures, or any caustic chemicals.
The Network Systems Admin should be a self-motivated individual able to provide ongoing day-to-day support to the Network Systems Team, with the ability to focus on the security, reliability and efficiency of the ABC Company network. In addition, the successful Network Admin candidate should be able to manage project based activities including the tracking, scheduling, design, and implementation of hardware, software, and operating system upgrades.
The Network Systems Admin will act as the team-lead overseeing the daily tasks of the Network System Team.
The normal work week will be between the hours of 8:00AM and 5:00PM, Monday through Friday although, on rare occasions, the candidate will be required work off-hours on critical issues.
This is on on-site position located at the ABC Company Distribution complex in (City, State).
Major duties and responsibilities:
- Performs routine maintenance and support for Microsoft Windows Server operating systems
- Performs system application upgrades and migrations
- Deploys, monitors, and maintains network equipment
- Provides technical support to company users
- Creates and maintains deployment and support documentation
- Works with developers to deploy applications and resolve issues
- Works closely with the Enterprise IT Team on projects, system support, network monitoring, and other duties as assigned
- 3+ years of verifiable experience in a similar role
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Experience deploying, troubleshooting, and maintaining Windows Servers including Active Directory in an enterprise environment
- Experience supporting virtualization and storage technologies, firewalls, and disaster recovery solutions
Education and experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Information Systems or equivalent experience
Major manufacturing company located in (State), is seeking a Network Administrator. The ideal candidate must have at least 2 years experience working in a Windows environment. ABC Company is the avenue to “get your foot in the door!” We help great people find great jobs! Apply today to learn more!
- Assist colleagues with all IT issues
- Diagnose and resolve technical hardware and software issues
- Manage and monitor internal assets to ensure accurate inventory records
- Work with the IT Manager to maintain, upgrade, and install hardware and software as needed
- Work alongside parent company and support subsidiary company on various projects as needed
- Create accounts and configure hardware as part of the onboarding process for new hires
- Provide support to various pieces of equipment, including VoIP system, switches, wireless AP’s, etc.
- Ability to communicate technical information, both verbal and written, to end-users
- Experience in supporting Windows 10, Windows Server, Mac OS, Web Apps, MS Office, Database knowledge, IT protocols, Spiceworks
- Experience in supporting and configuring Active Directory
- Excellent time management skills and the ability to effectively prioritize tasks/projects
- 2 years of experience working in Windows
- Strong customer service and troubleshooting skills
Candidate Certifications to Look For
- CompTIA Network+ Certification – This vendor-neutral certification validates the skills needed to establish, maintain, and troubleshoot networks on any platform. The training hours are flexible so candidates can take the course at their own pace. The exam is 90 minutes long and consists of multiple-choice questions. This certification will prepare candidates with the fundamental skills needed to work as a network administrator.
- CCNP Service Provider Certification – To gain this Cisco certification, candidates will need to pass two exams: one focused on the core aspects of service provider infrastructure and the other on the concentration of a candidate’s choice, including topics ranging from VPN services to automation, and advanced routing. This certification is valid for three years, after which candidates will need to re-certify through Cisco’s continuing education courses.
Sample Interview Questions
- How do you ensure the security and efficiency of networks, and how have you designed, configured, and implemented them?
- To diagnose and resolve network issues, what tools do you use?
- How do you ensure that network security is maintained and protected from cyber threats? What steps do you take?
- Tell me about a time when you dealt with a particularly challenging network issue.
- How do you ensure network performance and availability using network monitoring and management tools?
- Do you have any strategies in place to manage access to the network and permissions and to ensure that only authorized users have access?
- How do you use network virtualization technologies to improve network performance and efficiency?
- When it comes to working with new networking technologies and trends, how do you stay up-to-date?
- In what ways do you communicate technical issues to non-technical stakeholders, and how do you make sure that they understand the problem and the proposed solution?
- What methods do you use to ensure the network is properly integrated with other systems, such as database administrators and software developers?