What Does a Medical Device Sales Representative Do?
Medical device sales representatives meet with health care providers at clinics and hospitals and sell them equipment to use for medical testing and procedures. This can include items such as biomedical implants like artificial joints, personal protective equipment (PPE), large equipment like X-ray machines, or small things like bandages and tongue depressors. Medical device sales representatives often cold call prospective buyers like surgeons and hospital administrators, in addition to servicing and maintaining accounts with long-term contracts.
Medical device sales representatives must possess excellent presentation skills in addition to being adept at relationship-building, influencing, and communicating. They usually visit the same healthcare providers multiple times with the latest information regarding their products for sale. In many cases, medical device sales reps also must demonstrate the capabilities of the devices or equipment they are selling so some technical knowledge is beneficial.
Are you a job seeker?
of job openings
and apply online
National Average Salary
Medical device sales representative salaries vary by experience, industry, organization size, and geography. To explore salary ranges by local market, please visit our sister site zengig.com.
The average U.S. salary for a Medical Device Sales Representative is:
Medical Device Sales Representative Job Descriptions
The first step when hiring a great medical device sales representative is a well-crafted job description. Below are real-world examples to help give you the best chance of success on your recruiting journey.
As a medical device sales representative at [Your Company Name], you will sell our devices and products to doctors, clinics, hospitals, and practices. If you are the ideal candidate for this position, you will have a good understanding of sales and how to build relationships with businesses and practices. You must be able to determine the needs of the client you are working with and provide them with the proper suggestions to supplement their medical products. If you are capable of selling products and services and providing legitimate reasons why these products and services are beneficial to the buyer, you will be a fantastic medical device sales representative! You may also be required to give demonstrations of products to medical professionals, so having a good understanding of the medical field or previous medical experience is a major benefit.
Typical duties and responsibilities
- Assess client needs and promote suitable products
- Meet with targeted doctors and health care providers and utilize sales skills to persuade them to purchase the company’s products
- Give providers product information and perform product demonstrations
- Develop relationships and network with doctors, surgeons, and hospital administrators
Education and experience
A bachelor’s degree is usually required for this position. College coursework in life sciences such as biology and chemistry, as well as engineering, sales, marketing, advertising, and business administration, are most common in this occupation.
Required skills and qualifications
- Written and verbal communication skills, including relationship-building and influencing
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite or similar software, including spreadsheets and databases
- Expertise in negotiation
- Strong sense of organization and time management
- Bachelor’s degree
- At least 5-8 years outside sales experience with a proven successful track record
- Experience developing and delivering presentations to various audience levels
- Willing to travel at least 50% of the time for business purposes
As a Medical Device Sales Representative, you will be responsible for selling gastrointestinal products directly to hospitals, endoscopy centers, and ambulatory surgery centers. Managers work with nursing professionals and physicians at all levels in gastrointestinal, endoscopy, and operating room departments. ABC Company is seeking a Medical Device Sales Representative for its (Area) territory.
We are seeking a sales professional with a “hunter mentality” focused on prospecting, generating interest, quickly uncovering sales opportunities, leveraging existing accounts, and closing new business within an assigned territory. In addition, the Medical Device Sales Representative will provide customer-specific account management and coordination, resulting in best-in-class customer service, customer retention, and organic sales dollar growth within existing accounts. This role reports directly to the District Manager. Associate Representatives are encouraged to apply.
Duties & responsibilities
- Meet and exceed monthly, quarterly, and annual sales quotas. Driving incremental revenue through successful sales activities
- Develop new and grow existing relationships with clinical staff, nurses, and physicians; leverage customer relationships to increase sales revenue in territory
- Use our established prospect database to develop and maintain an ongoing record of existing and potential customers in the CRM
- Build and expand long-standing customer relationships by consistently delivering best-in-class customer service
- Discuss product fit and communicate the value proposition to meet customers’ goals and objectives
- Identify expansion opportunities within an existing portfolio of customers across all markets and products
- Provide effective internal communications across all departments within the organization
- Attend trade shows and conferences in the territory as assigned
- Work with Business Development Specialists to coordinate sales opportunities and relationship development
- Bachelor’s degree required – (GPA 3.0 or above)
- Demonstrated track record of performing above quota
- 1-2 years of medical sales experience is required
- Associate Representatives are encouraged to apply
- Positive attitude and a high competitive drive
- Dedication to continual self-improvement through frequent feedback and coaching
- Strong communication and negotiation skills
- This position requires up to 50% travel, with frequent travel outside the local area and overnight
- A valid driver’s license and a clean driving record are required
- Applicants must currently reside in the posted territory or be willing to relocate at their own expense
- Meet facility credentialing requirements in your territory
- The employee is occasionally required to sit; climb or balance, and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. May have to stand during procedures for elongated periods of time
- Frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus
- Plans and implement commercial strategies and activities focused on the successful US launch of the Nella product line as measured by account openings, achieving revenue and reorder rate targets, and driving product/procedure adoption. Conducts consultative sales calls to targeted OB/GYN physicians, Hospitalist, Physician Assistants, Nurse Practitioners in Women’s Health and Midwife customers, as well as all ancillary staff members
- In tandem with the broader organization, the Field Sales Representative will provide inputs that will assist in the development of a robust and repeatable sales process and identification of account onboarding/development best practices
- Directs all staff training, including in servicing of all relevant medical practitioners involved in Labor and Delivery, and oversees all medical education planning during account launches
- Builds and maintains strong customer relationships, including KOL cultivation and maintenance
- Develops relationships with hospital administrative staff, and develops and executes corporate contracts where appropriate, including GPO/IDN contracting, if applicable
- Provides the Marketing group to develop training and education programs that support broad product utilization and customer education
- Supports the Clinical Educator (where applicable) to identify and coordinate ongoing customer engagement and staff training activities
- Maintains a collaborative relationship with Clinical Educator to achieve territory, and organizational, account growth, and development objectives
- Demonstrates outstanding product knowledge and can impart this knowledge to the larger national team via cross functional collaboration, including the field training of new associates
- Works in close partnership with cross-functional departments, including the Marketing, Engineering, and Clinical Operations teams, as well as Quality and Regulatory Affairs, to provide field-based input and serve as the “voice of the customer.”
- Develops and executes on territory business plans in a 3-month sales cycle/quota-based system
- Implements targeted call plan and appropriately mobilizes corporate resources where necessary
- Transfers account knowledge and other requested information to VP of Sales and the Regional Sales Director on weekly basis. Proactively recognizes and communicates urgent information in a timely manner
- Manages expense budgets for their respective geography and is accountable for compliance with Company policies and procedures
- Reports customer product complaints and adverse events per the corporate Quality Affairs policy and sells products per FDA labelling and regulatory requirements
- Maintains current working knowledge of reimbursement environment and speaks proficiently regarding such matters
- Completes administrative requirements on time and accurately
- Proficient with the use of CRM and maintains and updates in a timely manner
- Maintains company standards involving ethical and moral character, and always represents the company with the highest professional standards
- Willing and able to travel as needed — most territories will have less than a 2 hour radius from primary city – some overnight travel will be required as needed
- Expertise working with technology platforms designed to educate medical professionals
- Support company goals and objectives, policies and procedures
- Attend relevant professional meetings
Hiring criteria required:
- Proven track record in medical device sales – minimum of 5 years
- Launch experience is helpful
- Startup and/or Small Company experience
- Women’s Health experience is a plus
- Will consider other Women’s Health sales experience
- Experience working with physician customers and hospital-based selling and contracting
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Flexibility, willingness, and desire to work in a small, fast-paced environment
Education and critical skills/experience:
- Bachelor’s degree (B.S./B. A.) from four-year college or university; minimum five years related experience and/or training, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Strong computer and internet skills; software experience with Microsoft Office including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook
- Experience with Salesforce.com will be considered an additional asset
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to manage multiple conflicting priorities
- Travel as required
The Medical Device Sales Representative will be responsible for supporting customer products, while maintaining and growing customer relationships. The position requires someone with a strong business acumen that can work in a team environment. Representatives will be working with a call list provided by the client to meet with physicians and provide education, identify key referral networks, and determine where therapies can assist in providing a comprehensive healthcare solution.
- Successfully completes all assigned training for the role, as well as dedicates the necessary time to both retain and build the on foundational product and clinical training
- Conduct all sales activities according to Travel & Entertainment (T&E) guidelines, Advamed Policies, and Integrity Policies
- Compliance with promotional program and lunch and learns for HCPS
- Provide timely updates to Project Manager on ongoing business activities, competitive conditions, industry trends, etc.
- Maintain and update current and prospective target Prescriber profiles
- Classify customer clinical needs, goals, and constraints related to patient care
- Determine where therapies can assist in providing a comprehensive healthcare solution
- Identify key referral networks for the assigned therapy
- 4-year degree from an accredited college or university required; healthcare degree is a plus
- 1 year B2B, Lite Medical Device and/or pharmaceutical sales required
- Light Equipment Sales/ Device experience Preferred
- Proven and consistent track record of top performance and achievements; with documented evidence to support
- Demonstrated success in persuasion, influence, and negotiation skills
- Demonstrated ability to apply technical
- Scientific knowledge
- Consultative sales experience with healthcare industry account management
- Ability to develop and sustain strong customer relationships
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Salesforce.com or similar CRM experience a plus
- Candidate should reside in or live within proximity to the assigned geographical territory
- A valid driver’s license
Skills and abilities:
- Demonstrated analytical skills
- Demonstrated business acumen
- Demonstrated success in persuasion, influence, and negotiation skills
- Demonstrated leadership ability
- Demonstrated ability to apply technical/scientific knowledge
- Flexibility to learn new products over time
- Knowledge of and experience with the selling process
- Initiative and execution-oriented
Candidate Certifications to Look For
- Certified Professional Sales Person (CPSP). As a certified professional sales representative, candidates will be required to have a comprehensive understanding of sales and the interpersonal aspects of these positions. This certification can be beneficial to a medical device sales rep.
- Certified Inside Sales Professional (CISP). The Certified Inside Sales Professional certification is one of the leading certifications in the sales industry. This certification is difficult to acquire and maintain, so is a good demonstration of expertise.
- Certified Master Sales Professional (CMSP). As a certified master sales professional, candidates will have acquired one of the leading certifications offered by the NASP. This certification is immensely beneficial and should be considered an option by any medical device sales representative. The only downside to this certification is the potential cost.
Sample Interview Questions
- What was your previous experience in sales?
- In what ways do you keep abreast of medical industry trends and developments?
- What is your typical sales process and how do you approach potential customers?
- What are the best ways to identify and target potential medical customers?
- Could you provide an example of a successful sales campaign you helped to implement?
- When potential customers object or push back, how do you respond?
- Could you describe your experience with demonstrations and trainings for medical products?
- What is your method for measuring and reporting sales success?
- Can you describe a time when you successfully promoted a product by collaborating with other healthcare professionals, such as physicians or nurses?
- What are the best ways to maintain strong relationships with customers so they will refer you to their friends and family?