What Does a Construction Project Captain Do?
A construction project captain is a professional who is responsible for overseeing and managing the various aspects of a construction project. As project coordinators, they work the work of various teams, including architects, engineers, and contractors, to ensure that a construction project is completed successfully.
To succeed in the construction market, a project captain needs to have a solid understanding of construction methodologies, processes, and methodologies as well as strong leadership, organizational, and problem-solving skills.
Are you a job seeker?
of job openings
and apply online
National Average Salary
Construction project captain salaries vary by experience, industry, organization size, and geography. To explore salary ranges by local market, please visit our sister site zengig.com.
The average U.S. salary for a Construction Project Captain is:
Construction Project Captain Job Descriptions
The ideal candidate will be responsible for working with the General Manager and the Project Management team to ensure the participation of cross-functional stakeholders in furthering project goals. With organization and prioritization skills, this candidate will organize the necessary pieces to ensure project success.
- Work with Project Manager to develop, drive, and implement project goals
- Manage communications and deliverables from all stakeholders for project
- Track project accomplishments
- Establish partnerships cross-functionally as necessary to ensure project success
- Other administrative tasks
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, problem solving skills, and attention to detail
- Ability to prioritize and multitask
- Expertise in Microsoft Office Suite
- Must be comfortable dealing with clients
- Spanish considered an asset
- Sign Industry experience considered an asset
- Permitting experience considered an asset
- Project management throughout the US
- Will support Account Managers
- Coordinating and ensuring latest information/diagrams/forms documents are uploaded within internal database
- Work with vendors to ensure all products will be available for projects
- Database management
- Work with engineers and designers to make any adjustments and changes to renderings
- Manage large excel spreadsheets
- Point of purchase for all project merchandising
- Manage all logistic for each project ensure
- Processes all daily replacement part and new store orders
- Maintain accurate and neat files
- Monitors min/max levels of inventory and works with project management to replenish
- Manage correspondence with field representatives, vendors and corporate
- Publish weekly shipping/tracking reports.
- Following through until issues have been resolved
- Prior experience within customer service or project management is a big plus
- Must be reliable
- Proactive and resourceful
- Ability to problem solve and resolve issues
- Strong attention to details
- Great multitasking skillset
- Works well within a team environment and independently
- Team player, roll up the sleeves mentality
- Assist Project Manager with all project management and oversight activities
- Assist in preparing and reviewing project proposals, memos, meeting minutes, and emails
- Assist with planning and coordinating webinars, conferences, and other events
- Ensure all project documentation is maintained appropriately for each project (e.g., project plan, budget, schedule, or scope statement)
- Assist with resource scheduling so that team members have the resources they need to complete their tasks, and coordinate all team members to keep workflow on track
- Document and follow up on important actions and decisions from meetings
- Facilitate meetings where appropriate and distribute minutes to all project team members
- Provide administrative support as needed
- Undertake project tasks as required (e.g., literature reviews, proposal writing, etc.)
- Write and develop protocols (e.g., manuals, instructions guides, document internal processes)
- Perform daily budget monitoring for assigned projects
Knowledge, skills, and abilities
- Ability to develop budget spreadsheets
- Ability to prepare and interpret flowcharts, Gantt charts, data visuals
- Familiarity with risk management and quality assurance control
- Familiarity with contract and stakeholder management
Education and experience
- Project management certifications (desired but not required): Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM), project management professional (PMP) or similar
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration, management or a related field
- Demonstrated experience with project management software (e.g., LiquidPlanner)
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office and Google Drive
- Experience: 2+ years of experience in project coordination, project management roles
- Experience with workload and resource planning required
- Experience in research and evaluation settings strongly preferred
- Experience with LiquidPlanner a plus
- Experience managing multiple project timelines
Sample Interview Questions
- What is a construction project captain responsible for?
- Are you comfortable with a leadership position?
- How would you resolve any issue that arises between team members in order to ensure the schedule and tasks are completed successfully?
- What are some of the challenges you expect as a construction project captain?
- How would you describe your leadership style/the ideal leadership style?
- What was the most complex project you worked on?
- What kind of construction projects do you have experience with?
- Do you have any relevant certifications for this type of job?
- Do you have any previous experience in team management?
- How do you ensure that the project stays on a deadline?
- Have you ever had an OSHA violation on the job? How did you fix it?
- What’s the most important aspect of managing a team in construction?