What Does a Bank Teller Do?
A bank teller is responsible for processing routine operations in a bank, such as cashing checks, depositing or withdrawing money, issuing savings bonds, and collecting loan payments. They ensure a high level of service and transaction efficiency. They must have excellent communication skills and customer service skills. Bank tellers need acute attention to detail as they are responsible for identifying risk factors for fraudulent activity or potential scams. Bank tellers have solid analytical skills, working knowledge of computers and electronic banking systems, and strong data entry skills.
As bank tellers are typically the first point of contact when customers enter a bank, this role requires excellent interpersonal skills. Bank tellers must be patient, understanding, good problem solvers, and resourceful in dealing with customers on a daily basis. They may be required to sell products and services or make sales referrals as part of their duties at the bank. They also should stay current on all regulations and policies and ensure they are upheld.
Are you a job seeker?
of job openings
and apply online
National Average Salary
Bank teller salaries vary by experience, industry, organization size, and geography. To explore salary ranges by local market, please visit our sister site zengig.com.
The average U.S. salary for a Bank Teller is:
Bank Teller Job Descriptions
The Teller is responsible for assisting with the execution of branch activities, including day-to-day delivery of client-facing services and processing transactions. The role of a Teller is to provide exceptional customer service and maintains knowledge of products, fees and stay current on bank offerings that will deepen a customer relationship.
- Accurately and efficiently process transactions (deposits, withdrawals, check cashing, ATM, night drop)
- Answer questions and resolve customer concerns regarding services provided by the Bank
- Sells cashier’s checks
- Vault and ATM balancing
- Holds/Stop payments
- Monthly certifications
- Account research
- Order supplies and process mail
- Assist with processing and scanning of daily teller work
- Review and verify daily reports assigned by Branch Management
- Adhere to bank policies, operational controls, and regulatory procedures to ensure the safety and security of client and bank assets
- Participate and contribute to the branch’s overall goals
- Perform other duties as assigned
- One year of recent Teller or cash handling experience
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Excellent customer service skills including proper telephone etiquette
- Basic math skills
- Accurate typing and basic computer skills
- Good written and verbal skills required
- Detailed and accurate in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to work well in a team oriented environment
- Basic knowledge of Word and Excel preferred
- Fluency in Spanish is preferred
- Local travel may be required
- Role requires sitting or standing in front of a computer monitor for prolonged periods of time in a fixed neck position
- Constant use of a computer or other office equipment resulting in repeating motions of the hands and wrists
- Light work that may include moving objects up to 20 pounds
Essential duties and responsibilities
- Provides quality customer service which includes consistently demonstrating the following:
- Maintains a positive and cooperative attitude at all times
- Acknowledges and responds immediately to the customer. “Customer before paperwork.”
- Greets the customer by name; learn name and use in closing
- Makes eye contact, demonstrates user-friendly non-verbal behavior
- Thanks customer for their business
- Assists with phone answering as needed
- Courteously and pleasantly answers customer questions and directs them to other departments when required
- Identifies opportunities to cross-sell bank products and services to new and existing customers
- Processes customer deposits and withdrawals, verifying all cash or endorsements and issuing receipts according to established procedures
- Verifies account information from the computer to validate all customer data, before completing transactions or releasing funds
- Maintains sufficient cash drawer funds to provide timely customer service and balances the drawer according to established procedures. Cash differences not to exceed established amount
- Ensures that all transactions are thoroughly documented on the teller tape to minimize bank liability and maintain audit trail of customer transactions
- Cashes checks for account holders and approved check cashing customers, within the limits set forth in the cashing policy, upon verification of signatures
- Processes additional transactions as assigned but not limited to: mail and night deposit items under dual control, telephone transfers and money orders, cashiers checks, travelers checks, cash advances, sells and redeems savings bonds, process currency and coin orders, count coin, process food coupons according to established procedures, ensuring that all transactions are recorded promptly and accurately
- Sells excess cash to vault teller to avoid exceeding drawer limit. Ensures that cash drawer is stocked with sufficient cash to meet customer demand
- Follows all bank regulations that effect the teller operations, including but not limited to: Bank Secrecy Act (BSA), Regulation CC: Expedited Funds Availability Act, CIP, etc.
- Adheres to all bank security policies for the location and the position
- Accepts rent payments for safe deposit boxes per safe deposit box agreement
- Daily processing of TT&L payments and money orders
- Performs various responsibilities and special projects as assigned by management
Major responsibilities are as follows
- Represents [company] as a customer service professional
- Maintains positive, friendly, and professional communications with customers, co-workers, and management whether in person, by phone, in writing, and/or through computerized and other electronic means
- Safely operates cash processing equipment and keeps equipment in good working order
- Accurately and efficiently counts and logs client’s deposits into our teller software system
- Uses handheld electronic devices to scan and track deposits
- Prepares currency/coin orders
- Ensures accurate count and tracking of all vault assets
- Ensures the safety of all negotiables and confidential records
- Notifies supervisor/manager of any delays, issues, concerns, or problems in a timely manner
- Maintains a clean and orderly teller processing area
- Performs other duties as assigned
- High school diploma or equivalent is required.
- One or more years of teller, vault teller, vault custodian, cage cashier, fill bank, soft count, slot attendant, cash logistics, lead cashier, or equivalent cash handling experience is preferred
- Accuracy and good math skills are required
- Must be able to use a computer and other cash processing equipment
- Must be able to lift 30 pounds and sometimes a team lift of around 50 pounds
- Exhibits professionalism, politeness, and courtesy and willingly steps in and helps the team
- Trustworthiness and the ability to act with integrity is of utmost important
Sample Interview Questions
- What interests you about becoming a bank teller?
- Why did you choose our bank?
- What do you think are the most important qualities a bank teller should have?
- Describe a time when you had to deal with an upset customer.
- How would you handle a situation wherein a customer was wrongly charged on their account?
- If I were a customer making a common deposit into my account, how would you sell a new product that the bank recently came out with?
- How would you react if you saw a fellow employee take money from our institution?
- Are you comfortable dealing with large sums of money?
- What strategies would you use to make a customer feel welcomed?
- How do you deal with stressful situations?
- What skills do you have that would help you succeed in this role?
- Do you have any experience with spotting fraudulent checks or counterfeit money?