What Does a Maintenance Technician Do?
A maintenance technician performs routine maintenance of equipment and machinery for an organization. They troubleshoot problems and help repair the mechanisms that run a facility. They may need to be available on-call at any time to address emergencies and they must keep record logs up to date on maintenance and repair procedures. A typical day can vary greatly for a maintenance technician as they may perform routine checks, investigate any issues with equipment or machinery that arise, and perform repairs as needed.
They need to have strong attention to detail, good mechanical aptitude, and excellent communication skills. Some technicians will specialize in instrumentation, facilities, mechanical, or electrical maintenance. They may even be asked to advise management on improvements to machinery, equipment, and processes.
Are you a job seeker?
of job openings
and apply online
National Average Salary
Maintenance technician salaries vary by experience, industry, organization size, and geography. To explore salary ranges by local market, please visit our sister site zengig.com.
The average U.S. salary for a Maintenance Technician is:
Maintenance Technician Job Descriptions
Crafting the perfect job description may be the key to finding an exceptional maintenance technician. To help you with your recruiting search, our team has put together some examples from past openings.
Our position for a maintenance technician is vacant at [Your Company Name]. The general job of this position is to keep everything maintained in a given facility. If there is a task you are incapable of completing, scheduling and planning repairs will be your responsibility to ensure the building is in optimal condition. In order to find needed repairs, you must create and complete a routine for quality reports. More elaborate inspection may be required depending on the piece of equipment. In addition to this, creating and following procedures designed to temporarily fix things is required, in case of unavailability. It falls on the responsibility of this role to keep pests, insects, and things of the like under control at all times. The measures to achieve this are optional, so the decision is up to you. You will be required to keep alarms up to date and inspected, whether it is fire alarms, security alarms, or other safety measures. On top of all this, it is your task to ensure inventory needed for job completion is constantly up to date, and the lack of it will not be a hindrance. Every task must be done within a set budget, so you must have the ability to work within that. Exceptions may be made to uncommon occurrences. If this type of work seems up your alley, consider applying!
Typical duties and responsibilities
- Receive work and repair orders, and complete them promptly
- Troubleshoot and repair various warehouse machines when necessary
- Perform routine preventive maintenance
- Maintain overall maintenance of warehouse and related areas
- Adhere to workplace safety requirements
Education and experience
This position requires a high school diploma or equivalent and experience in repairing and maintaining machines.
Required skills and qualifications
- Excellent technical and mechanical skills
- Troubleshooting ability
- Expertise in general maintenance, plumbing, heating, and electrical repair
- Ability to work independently and to complete daily activities according to work schedule
- Ability to communicate orally and in writing
- Ability to understand and follow written and oral instructions
- Valid driver’s license
- Maintain a good driving record
In a Maintenance Technician role, you will be responsible for maintaining efficient operation and upkeep of the property’s buildings and grounds.
Key role responsibilities
- Perform general maintenance such as plumbing, electrical, HVAC repairs, carpentry, appliance repairs, glass replacement, etc.
- Maintain efficient operation and upkeep of the property buildings and grounds
- Perform routine maintenance punch on vacant units prior to new resident occupancy
- Respond to resident service requests; enter and track requests using a work order system
- Keep all amenity areas in clean and operable condition
Primary requirements include
- Prior experience in plumbing, electrical, carpentry, dry-wall, and painting
- Appliance service and repair a plus
- HVAC certification highly preferred
- Apartment maintenance experience ideal
- Must be available for on-call work
What we’re looking for
ABC Company is currently seeking a Maintenance Technician to perform general maintenance tasks and to support the overall quality of our large and quickly growing portfolio of vacation homes. Hours can and will vary weekly and seasonally based on business needs.
What you’ll do
- Complete maintenance tasks and projects, traveling between multiple worksites each day
- Create a welcoming environment for our guests and owners by ensuring our homes are well maintained, make general repairs, preventative maintenance, and inspections
- Respond to guest issues regarding maintenance, as needed including but not limited to:
- Appliance troubleshooting
- Cable/wifi troubleshooting
- Basic HVAC repair
- Light plumbing
- Establish and maintain open, collaborative relationships with team members and management team
- Correspond on a regular basis with your local management team and team members
- Be available and willing to assist your colleagues and management team when necessary
- Provide cross-coverage when necessary to ensure urgent issues are addressed
- Maintain hot tubs as needed; no experience necessary – we offer on-site training
- Collect and remove trash and debris
- Ensure follow through on assigned maintenance tasks using in-house assignment system and respond to time-sensitive maintenance needs
- Maintain required Maintenance Metrics on efficiency and utilize ABC Company’s ticketing system
- Coordinate with third-party service providers.
- Attend all mandatory individual and team meetings
- Other responsibilities as assigned – because every day looks different
The skills you’ll need
- 2 years of basic, property maintenance experience preferred but not required
- Reliable transportation
- Smartphone and personal email address
- Ability to regularly lift over 20 lbs.
- Self-motivated and customer service oriented
- Ability to see projects through to completion
- Ability to properly assess problems and provide solutions
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including weekends and holidays as needed to support the needs of the business
- Reasonable comfort level with computers and smart devices
- Access to the internet and the ability to check your email on a daily basis
Due to property staffing limitations, it is extremely critical that individuals possess the ability to work their scheduled hours on a consistent basis and work overtime hours when requested. Position requires the ability to be on call to perform services, as scheduled or as necessary.
- Position requires individuals to be able to use general maintenance equipment including, but not limited to: hand tools, paint equipment, pressure washing equipment, ladders, landscaping equipment, pool chemicals, ice removal equipment (where required), and required safety equipment
- Position requires individuals to wear specified maintenance uniform apparel and safety equipment, as required
- Education: High school diploma or equivalent preferred. For safety, productivity and service reasons, the position requires the ability to read, write and speak English. In addition, the position requires the ability to accurately perform basic mathematical functions
- Experience: Minimum of one year previous experience in property management maintenance, other building maintenance or related trade. Older properties (5+ years) may also require previous renovation experience
- Skills: Under direction of Maintenance Manager, the Maintenance Technician must be able to diagnose problems with and repair the following:
- Major appliances
- Plumbing experience
- Basic/intermediate electrical (when no license is required)
- Sheetrock General carpentry
- Pest control (if required by property)
- Roofs and gutters Wallpaper/painting
- Foundation/sidewalk Irrigation systems
In addition the position requires the following skills:
- Ability to work well with people
- Effective verbal communication skills
- Superior customer service skills
- Ability to perform the essential functions with minimal direct supervision
- Ability to function as a team player
Candidate Certifications to Look For
- CMRT. The Certified Maintenance and Reliability Technician program allows candidates to learn and prove the basic skill sets needed to be a maintenance technician. Gaining this certification shows they have the ability to consistently maintain a facility. As if that wasn’t enough, it also allows candidates to show commitment to their careers.
- CAMT. Certificate for Apartment Maintenance Technicians is a certificate made specifically for candidates working in apartments. If they already work exclusively in apartments or wish to, this certificate has the possibility of reassuring their employer, possibly giving them a raise, or even landing a job. Overall, it will teach and test the skills needed to work with apartments, specifically.
Sample Interview Questions
- Are you familiar with mechanical and electrical systems?
- What is your process for prioritizing and managing work orders?
- Have you ever had to solve a complex maintenance issue?
- Are you proficient with any tools or equipment?
- Do you have experience with preventative maintenance and inspections?
- What steps would you take to maintain a critical system or piece of equipment?
- What steps do you take to ensure compliance with safety regulations and protocols?
- Can you tell me about some of the challenges you encounter as a maintenance tech?