What Does an Enrollment Specialist Do?
Enrollment specialists enroll students in schools and other educational facilities. Their responsibilities include student administration, coordination, and research as well as directing, planning, and conducting educational activities at universities, community colleges, post-secondary institutions, junior colleges, high schools, and elementary schools. Some enrollment specialists focus on adult education or career counseling, thereby helping students enter the job market.
Are you a job seeker?
of job openings
and apply online
National Average Salary
Enrollment specialist salaries vary by experience, industry, organization size, and geography. To explore salary ranges by local market, please visit our sister site zengig.com.
The average U.S. salary for an Enrollment Specialist is:
Enrollment Specialist Job Descriptions
We are seeking an Enrollment Specialist to become an important part of our team! You will take charge of implementing the vision, mission, and core values of our company.
Specific duties for enrollment specialist:
- Maintain meaningful relationships with new and existing customers
- Respond to inquiries, assist in enrollment processes, and resolve potential client issues
- Create, present, and sell company products and services to drive enrollment numbers
- Prepare and maintain account statements and financial reports for customers
- Stay updated with the market by conducting research and building knowledge
- Study industry trends and competitive market information to stay ahead of the competition
Desired skills and experience:
- Communication skills
- Eager to learn
- Team player
- Positive attitude
The Enrollment Specialist is responsible for the enrollment of insurance products and handling all customer contacts received by telephone. This position regularly engages in sales activities with customers and is responsible for processing customer applications, endorsements, and inquiries. The Enrollment Specialist is also responsible for being recognized as a trusted business advisor, and a representative of ABC Company’s values and mission.
Your responsibilities include
- Assess customer needs and advise clients on coverage options. Provide quotations, pricing, and required information to prospects with excellent customer service. Complete the sales process for each customer with excellent customer service
- Receive and respond to all customer inquiries and complaints. Request any missing or required information from customers and follow up on that information
- Follow up routinely with customers on all open or unresolved issues including calling lapsed customers
- Answer the telephone in a prompt, professional, and courteous manner
- Report any and all conditions affecting customer satisfaction
- Maintain appropriate records including, but not limited to, all time worked, reporting of sales activities, and other reporting as required by management
- Remote work experience preferred
- Bi-Lingual preferred
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- Active Life and Health License Required
- Demonstrable strength and creativity in problem-solving
- Adaptable to change
- Proven track record of managing multiple tasks and projects
- Demonstrate a positive, high-energy attitude
Enters data from various source documents into prescribed databases for storage, processing, and data management purposes. Performs other administrative duties in support of School Enrollment and Business Operations.
Essential duties and responsibilities
- Prepares, compiles, and sorts documents for data entry into school and district/state databases
- Checks source documents for accuracy
- Verifies and corrects data where necessary. Obtains additional information for incomplete documents
- Combines and rearranges data from source documents where required
- Enters data from source documents into prescribed databases
- Transcribes information into the required electronic format
- May scan documents into document management systems or databases
- Audits completed work for accuracy
- Stores source documents in designated locations for future reference
- Maintains accurate records of activities and tasks
- Responds to requests for information and access relevant files in providing information. Ensures reference documents are appropriately returned to storage for future reference
- Prints information when required
- Complies with all data integrity and security policies. Maintains the strictest confidentiality requirements
- Monitors and updates information in databases to ensure funding count cycles are accurate
- Prepares, transmits, maintains, and responds to requests for student transcripts and other official documents
- Consults with appropriate ABC Company staff in maintaining electronic and hard-copied student records including attendance, immunization, transcripts, grades, student schedules, and procedures
- Performs administrative tasks in support of HR functions: creates position openings in the HR system and ensures all new hire paperwork is completed in a timely manner
- Provides other administrative assistance as required
- MAY PERFORM OTHER DUTIES AS ASSIGNED
Skills and knowledge
- Has the ability to work and interact with individuals at all levels of the organization
- Has the ability to organize, prioritize and manage multiple priorities
- Possesses good communication skills: Oral, Written, and Interpersonal
- Demonstrates proficient experience with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), PowerSchool, and email communications
- Possesses good knowledge of company and departmental policies and procedures
- Leads by example in adherence and knowledge of ABC Company and their Vision, Mission, and Values demonstrated by the commitment to act in an ethical manner using behaviors that promote a team concept
- Participates in and successfully completes training programs offered to increase skill and proficiency related to assignments
- Ensures adherence to good safety procedures
- High school diploma or equivalent. Minimum of 2 years relevant experience
- Experience working in a school office setting is highly desired
- Excellent customer service skills
- Excellent organization, time management, and follow-up skills
- Must be able to present a professional office with great customer service skills
- Must have a positive attitude and be able to collaborate with others, while helping to maintain a pleasant working environment
- Must be detail-oriented
- Bilingual a plus, but not required
- Ability and willingness to work successfully with students, parents, and staff
- Must pass a background check
- Ability and willingness to take directions
- Excellent references including attendance and punctuality
- Proactive and takes initiative. Thinks creatively. Drives projects to completion. Insists on the highest level of quality.
How to Hire an Enrollment Specialist
There are a number of important initial considerations when hiring an enrollment specialist:
- Recruiting: Do you have the knowledge, tools, and resources to attract and screen candidates?
- Complexity: Do you need a senior professional, or will mid or junior-level skills and experience suffice?
- Duration: Are you hiring for a project or an ongoing need?
- Urgency: How soon does the opening need to be filled? What happens while it remains open?
- Headcount: Do you have the budget and approval for an internal employee, or should you consider alternate options?
Answering these questions will help determine the best course of action for your current hiring need. Fortunately, great options exist for every scenario. These are our recommendations:
1. Use 4 Corner Resources (or another professional recruiting firm)
The heavy lifting is done for you when working with a top-tier staffing company like 4 Corner Resources. We source, screen, recruit, and deliver only the most qualified candidate(s), saving you significant time and effort throughout the hiring process while you remain focused on your core business. Understanding your needs and ensuring the right candidate for the position is the key to our success.
This is the best route to take when:
- You need to fill the position quickly
- You want access to a vast talent pool of high-quality, prescreened candidates
- Your position is suited for temporary hiring services, contract staffing, or contract-to-hire recruiting, and you intend to direct the work activity.
- You are hiring an employee as a direct placement but aren’t able to recruit effectively or efficiently with your internal staff.
- You aren’t familiar with current salary rates, market trends, and available skill sets
2. Advertise your opening on a top job board
Your best option may be to advertise your opening on a proven job board. There are many widely used job sites out there that draw visits from qualified candidates. If you have someone internally who can dedicate the time and energy to sort through applications and screen individuals effectively, this can be a great choice.
We recommend using a job board when:
- Your internal recruiting team has the knowledge and experience to assess candidate qualifications
- You are hiring a direct employee and have time to manage the entire recruiting effort
- You have a process for receiving, screening, and tracking all resumes and applications
- You are prepared to respond to all applicants
There are many career sites out there. Here are the two we recommend for an enrollment specialist opening:
LinkedIn is a social network for job seekers, professionals, and businesses. With this popular job site, you can enhance your brand and advertise your open position to a wide audience of motivated, qualified candidates. Job postings on LinkedIn are also extremely streamlined and user-friendly, making it even easier for candidates to apply. Additionally, applicants can use their LinkedIn profile instead of a resume to expedite the process.
CareerBuilder has been a trusted source for hiring since 1995. Reach 80+ million unique, diverse U.S. job seekers annually by posting your jobs through their talent acquisition channels. Through CareerBuilder, you can engage candidates and drive them into your sourcing pipeline. We recommend using CareerBuilder for hiring when you have the internal resources and processes to review, screen, and reply to all applicants.
3. Leverage your internal resources
You can utilize your own website, social media, and employees to assist in your search for top candidates.
A company website posting should be the first step in notifying prospective candidates that you are hiring. Social media can also be a powerful tool for spreading the word about your new opening. As far as exposure is concerned, this option can be as good as some job boards when you have a large enough following across various platforms, like LinkedIn, Instagram, Facebook, TikTok, and Twitter.
Current employees are every organization’s greatest asset. Encourage your internal team to promote job openings to their network by offering cash and other incentives.
We recommend these options when:
- Your brand has great name recognition
- You can consistently monitor and respond to candidate activity through your website and social media accounts
- You have a process in place to quickly and broadly communicate job openings and requirements
- You have an effective employee referral program in place
If you aren’t sure which path is best, schedule a discovery call today with our seasoned recruiting professionals. The 4 Corner team is on standby to help you find the best option for your unique hiring need.
Sample Interview Questions
- Why do you want to work as an enrollment specialist? What about this position appeals to you?
- A motivated applicant wants to join a position but is either not eligible or not qualified. How do you break this news to them?
- Please describe your previous experience, if any, in the enrollment specialist industry.
- Do you have any relevant degree or certification for this position?
- What is your experience with Microsoft Office and Word?
- How would you deal with any boring or repetitive instances of this job?
- What software are you most familiar with?
- In your own words, how would you describe what an enrollment specialist does?
- What is your favorite part of this job?