What Does an Enrollment Specialist Do?
Enrollment specialists assist prospective students during the enrollment process at educational institutions or programs. In addition to guiding potential students through the application process, they provide information about program requirements and assist students with financial aid. There are many educational settings where enrollment specialists work, including colleges, universities, trade schools, and online learning platforms.
Some enrollment specialists focus on specific areas like adult education or career counseling with the ultimate goal of helping students further their goals. The role they play is crucial to ensuring that students have a smooth enrollment process and that they have access to the resources they need to succeed. Moreover, they may maintain student records and manage enrollment information.
Are you a job seeker?
of job openings
and apply online
National Average Salary
Enrollment specialist salaries vary by experience, industry, organization size, and geography. To explore salary ranges by local market, please visit our sister site zengig.com.
The average U.S. salary for an Enrollment Specialist is:
Enrollment Specialist Job Descriptions
It’s important to include the right content in your job description when hiring an enrollment specialist. The following examples can serve as templates for attracting the best available talent for your team.
An enrollment specialist is needed at [Your Company Name]! Candidates will be required to assist and help those that are applying for courses, training, or education at our facility. The ideal candidate will be required to understand the policies and training programs well enough to give quality advice and counseling to potential applicants, as well as convert these applicants to our system and product if they voice doubt. The enrollment specialist will be required to know the special requirements of candidates who enroll in the system. Our ideal employee will be outgoing, as this position requires good communication skills, with great problem-solving skills, and the ability to work closely with applicants. The candidate will also be responsible for collecting, imputing, and updating the data of relevant applicants.
Typical duties and responsibilities
- Answer questions, handle issues, and provide detailed information to students on school requirements, processes, and policies
- Collect data to qualify candidates for programs, services, or courses
- Ensure applications are completed correctly, with the required supporting materials
- Enter, update, and review records
- Provide guidance and recommendations to current and prospective students
- Process enrollments and withdrawals
- Assist with billing and payment processing
- Conduct information sessions
- Participate in school activities
- Promote the school in the community by participating in meetings or events, and building relationships
- Administer, plan, and control budgets, produce financial reports, and maintain their records
- Recruit, hire, train, evaluate, and terminate supporting staff
- Assess and collect tuition fees
Education and experience
This position requires a bachelor’s degree in administration or counseling, and at least one year of prior experience in the field. Most schools also require counseling experience.
Required skills and qualifications
- Excellent communication and written skills
- Expertise in customer service
- Knowledge and experience in the education system
- Strong organizational, time-management, and multitasking abilities
- Keen attention to detail
- Excellent administrative skills
- Robust computer and database skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience working with students
- Familiar with common software, like Google Suite and Microsoft Office
- Bilingual, Spanish preferred
We are seeking an Enrollment Specialist to become an important part of our team! You will take charge of implementing the vision, mission, and core values of our company.
Specific duties for enrollment specialist:
- Maintain meaningful relationships with new and existing customers
- Respond to inquiries, assist in enrollment processes, and resolve potential client issues
- Create, present, and sell company products and services to drive enrollment numbers
- Prepare and maintain account statements and financial reports for customers
- Stay updated with the market by conducting research and building knowledge
- Study industry trends and competitive market information to stay ahead of the competition
Desired skills and experience:
- Communication skills
- Eager to learn
- Team player
- Positive attitude
The Enrollment Specialist is responsible for the enrollment of insurance products and handling all customer contacts received by telephone. This position regularly engages in sales activities with customers and is responsible for processing customer applications, endorsements, and inquiries. The Enrollment Specialist is also responsible for being recognized as a trusted business advisor, and a representative of ABC Company’s values and mission.
Your responsibilities include
- Assess customer needs and advise clients on coverage options. Provide quotations, pricing, and required information to prospects with excellent customer service. Complete the sales process for each customer with excellent customer service
- Receive and respond to all customer inquiries and complaints. Request any missing or required information from customers and follow up on that information
- Follow up routinely with customers on all open or unresolved issues including calling lapsed customers
- Answer the telephone in a prompt, professional, and courteous manner
- Report any and all conditions affecting customer satisfaction
- Maintain appropriate records including, but not limited to, all time worked, reporting of sales activities, and other reporting as required by management
- Remote work experience preferred
- Bi-Lingual preferred
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- Active Life and Health License Required
- Demonstrable strength and creativity in problem-solving
- Adaptable to change
- Proven track record of managing multiple tasks and projects
- Demonstrate a positive, high-energy attitude
Enters data from various source documents into prescribed databases for storage, processing, and data management purposes. Performs other administrative duties in support of School Enrollment and Business Operations.
Essential duties and responsibilities
- Prepares, compiles, and sorts documents for data entry into school and district/state databases
- Checks source documents for accuracy
- Verifies and corrects data where necessary. Obtains additional information for incomplete documents
- Combines and rearranges data from source documents where required
- Enters data from source documents into prescribed databases
- Transcribes information into the required electronic format
- May scan documents into document management systems or databases
- Audits completed work for accuracy
- Stores source documents in designated locations for future reference
- Maintains accurate records of activities and tasks
- Responds to requests for information and access relevant files in providing information. Ensures reference documents are appropriately returned to storage for future reference
- Prints information when required
- Complies with all data integrity and security policies. Maintains the strictest confidentiality requirements
- Monitors and updates information in databases to ensure funding count cycles are accurate
- Prepares, transmits, maintains, and responds to requests for student transcripts and other official documents
- Consults with appropriate ABC Company staff in maintaining electronic and hard-copied student records including attendance, immunization, transcripts, grades, student schedules, and procedures
- Performs administrative tasks in support of HR functions: creates position openings in the HR system and ensures all new hire paperwork is completed in a timely manner
- Provides other administrative assistance as required
- MAY PERFORM OTHER DUTIES AS ASSIGNED
Skills and knowledge
- Has the ability to work and interact with individuals at all levels of the organization
- Has the ability to organize, prioritize and manage multiple priorities
- Possesses good communication skills: Oral, Written, and Interpersonal
- Demonstrates proficient experience with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), PowerSchool, and email communications
- Possesses good knowledge of company and departmental policies and procedures
- Leads by example in adherence and knowledge of ABC Company and their Vision, Mission, and Values demonstrated by the commitment to act in an ethical manner using behaviors that promote a team concept
- Participates in and successfully completes training programs offered to increase skill and proficiency related to assignments
- Ensures adherence to good safety procedures
- High school diploma or equivalent. Minimum of 2 years relevant experience
- Experience working in a school office setting is highly desired
- Excellent customer service skills
- Excellent organization, time management, and follow-up skills
- Must be able to present a professional office with great customer service skills
- Must have a positive attitude and be able to collaborate with others, while helping to maintain a pleasant working environment
- Must be detail-oriented
- Bilingual a plus, but not required
- Ability and willingness to work successfully with students, parents, and staff
- Must pass a background check
- Ability and willingness to take directions
- Excellent references including attendance and punctuality
- Proactive and takes initiative. Thinks creatively. Drives projects to completion. Insists on the highest level of quality.
Candidate Certifications to Look For
- Certified Billing and Coding Specialist (CBCS). The Certified Billing and Coding Specialist certificate provides the certified with training and ensures that a basic understanding of data, billing, and coding is acquired. This certificate may come in handy for an enrollment specialist.
- Certified Enrollment Specialist (CES). One of the chief certifications for this position, the Certified Enrollment Specialist will learn the basic and advanced techniques used by an enrollment specialist. This is a professionally recognized credential that can provide immense benefit to an enrollment specialist.
- Provider Enrollment Specialist Certificate. The Provider Enrollment Specialist Certificate provides training for an enrollment specialist, specifically designed for the medical field. Although this certificate can be useful in any enrollment specialist position, it is uniquely designed to provide the most benefit and accuracy in the medical field.
How to Hire an Enrollment Specialist
There are a number of important initial considerations when hiring an enrollment specialist:
- Recruiting: Do you have the knowledge, tools, and resources to attract and screen candidates?
- Complexity: Do you need a senior professional, or will mid or junior-level skills and experience suffice?
- Duration: Are you hiring for a project or an ongoing need?
- Urgency: How soon does the opening need to be filled? What happens while it remains open?
- Headcount: Do you have the budget and approval for an internal employee, or should you consider alternate options?
Answering these questions will help determine the best course of action for your current hiring need. Fortunately, great options exist for every scenario. These are our recommendations:
1. Use 4 Corner Resources (or another professional recruiting firm)
The heavy lifting is done for you when working with a top-tier staffing company like 4 Corner Resources. We source, screen, recruit, and deliver only the most qualified candidate(s), saving you significant time and effort throughout the hiring process while you remain focused on your core business. Understanding your needs and ensuring the right candidate for the position is the key to our success.
This is the best route to take when:
- You need to fill the position quickly
- You want access to a vast talent pool of high-quality, prescreened candidates
- Your position is suited for temporary hiring services, contract staffing, or contract-to-hire recruiting, and you intend to direct the work activity.
- You are hiring an employee as a direct placement but aren’t able to recruit effectively or efficiently with your internal staff.
- You aren’t familiar with current salary rates, market trends, and available skill sets
2. Advertise your opening on a top job board
Your best option may be to advertise your opening on a proven job board. There are many widely used job sites out there that draw visits from qualified candidates. If you have someone internally who can dedicate the time and energy to sort through applications and screen individuals effectively, this can be a great choice.
We recommend using a job board when:
- Your internal recruiting team has the knowledge and experience to assess candidate qualifications
- You are hiring a direct employee and have time to manage the entire recruiting effort
- You have a process for receiving, screening, and tracking all resumes and applications
- You are prepared to respond to all applicants
We recommend using CareerBuilder for enrollment specialist openings:
CareerBuilder has been a trusted source for hiring since 1995. Reach 80+ million unique, diverse U.S. job seekers annually by posting your jobs through their talent acquisition channels. Through CareerBuilder, you can engage candidates and drive them into your sourcing pipeline. We recommend using CareerBuilder for hiring when you have the internal resources and processes to review, screen, and reply to all applicants.
3. Leverage your internal resources
You can utilize your own website, social media, and employees to assist in your search for top candidates.
A company website posting should be the first step in notifying prospective candidates that you are hiring. Social media can also be a powerful tool for spreading the word about your new opening. As far as exposure is concerned, this option can be as good as some job boards when you have a large enough following across various platforms, like LinkedIn, Instagram, Facebook, TikTok, and Twitter.
Current employees are every organization’s greatest asset. Encourage your internal team to promote job openings to their network by offering cash and other incentives.
We recommend these options when:
- Your brand has great name recognition
- You can consistently monitor and respond to candidate activity through your website and social media accounts
- You have a process in place to quickly and broadly communicate job openings and requirements
- You have an effective employee referral program in place
If you aren’t sure which path is best, schedule a discovery call today with our seasoned recruiting professionals. The 4 Corner team is on standby to help you find the best option for your unique hiring need.
Sample Interview Questions
- Why do you want to work as an enrollment specialist? What about this position appeals to you?
- What is your experience working with students from diverse backgrounds, and how do you ensure that all students feel supported during the enrollment process?
- What strategies do you use to address common questions and concerns from students?
- Are you familiar with financial aid and scholarship programs, and how you assist students with financial matters?
- What tools or systems do you use to maintain accurate enrollment data and student records?
- How did you handle a particularly challenging enrollment situation during your career?
- Do you use metrics to measure the success of your enrollment strategies?
- Describe how you collaborate with other departments and stakeholders to ensure a smooth enrollment process?
- What strategies do you use to ensure a positive enrollment experience for prospective students?