What Does a Director of Housekeeping Do?
A director of housekeeping ensures that the housekeeping department runs in an efficient manner. They typically work in hotels or other areas within the hospitality industry where they provide guests with quality service and a clean and safe environment throughout the duration of their stay. They also manage department staff, departmental expenses, and budgeting. Directors of housekeeping generally stand for long periods of time and must have a good amount of physical stamina. They need to be calm under pressure as the environment can be highly stressful at times. Good leadership qualities and excellent people and customer service skills are paramount to this role.
Proficiency in various relevant computer programs, including Microsoft products like Excel is an important skill as well. Directors of housekeeping should have excellent communication skills to convey information and ideas clearly, both oral and written. They need to be able to prioritize work and collaborate with other department leaders and supervisors as necessary. Maintaining inventory of materials and products, balancing budgets, and handling staff and customers are other responsibilities that fall to the director of housekeeping.
Are you a job seeker?
of job openings
and apply online
National Average Salary
Director of housekeeping salaries vary by experience, industry, organization size, and geography. To explore salary ranges by local market, please visit our sister site zengig.com.
The average U.S. salary for a Director of Housekeeping is:
Director of Housekeeping Job Descriptions
The first step when hiring a great director of housekeeping is a well-crafted job description. Below are real-world examples to help give you the best chance of success on your recruiting journey.
We’ve been in business for over 50 years, and we’ve continued to be the best at what we do for two reasons: Our passion for delivering exceptional guest experiences, and our integrity. When guests choose us, they know that their stay will be outstanding, and if something isn’t right, we’ll make it the way it should be.
Housekeeping is a core component of the guest experience, and right now, we’re looking for a director of housekeeping to lead our team of 6. If you’re comfortable leading a team and have excellent communication skills and time management, we’d love to hear from you!
Typical duties and responsibilities
- Responsible for directing and administering the entirety of housekeeping operations to ensure the overall cleanliness
- Conduct product quality and routine grounds inspections in accordance with hotel policy to uphold outstanding guest service
- Maintain and ensure the cleanliness of guest rooms, public spaces, bathrooms, offices, banquet halls, meeting, and conference rooms in compliance with hotel policy and all local, state, and federal standards
- Lead, direct, and administer all housekeeping operations, this includes management via electronic systems, budgeting, forecasting, inventory control, general department management, and implementation of policies and procedures
- Oversee, train, and ensure proper usage of cleaning supplies and chemicals
- Ensure proper handling, labeling, and storing of all hazardous supplies in accordance with state and federal law
- Routinely participate in management meetings for innovation and improvement
- Represent the hotel in an exceptional and professional manner
- Resolve customer issues and complaints as they pertain to housekeeping
Education and experience
- High school diploma or equivalent experience
- Minimum 3 years experience in the hospitality field
- Minimum 2 years experience in a supervisory position
Required skills and qualifications
- Working knowledge of labor management scheduling procedures and systems
- Working ability to lead and train a diverse team of employees
- Demonstrated analytical problem solving, planning, forecasting, and implementation abilities
- Basic management skills: Conflict resolution, development, team building, coaching, etc.
- Ability to work flexible hours: Nights, weekends, and holidays as needed
- Ability to lift at least 30 pounds regularly
- Ability to stand and walk for long periods of time
- Ability to twist, bend, squat, and stretch
- Ability to tolerate exposure to caustic chemicals
- Bachelor’s degree
- 5 years experience in the hospitality field
- 3 years management or supervisory role over at least 4 employees
- Spanish speaking
Work on a team that is built around adaptability & flexibility, service passion, professionalism, ethic for work integrity, communication, and teamwork.
Manages the staff and controls the daily activities of the Housekeeping Department assuring that our Guest Rooms, Public Areas, and Employee Areas meet the highest standards of cleanliness. Responsible for handling guest interactions and issues in a timely manner. Conducts Performance Evaluations and disciplines staff when needed. Works directly with staffing agencies to ensure proper staffing levels. Select, train, evaluate, lead, motivate, and coach all employees in the Hotel’s Housekeeping Department to ensure that established cultural and core standards are met. Assures financial goals of the Housekeeping department are met. This role has direct contact with guests and as such good communication skills are a necessity. This position does require an applicant with a flexible schedule, able to work morning/afternoon shifts, weekends, and holidays.
Preferred qualifications and skills
- College degree preferably specializing in hotel/restaurant management or business
- At least three years previous experience in supervisory position in Housekeeping
- Knowledge of housekeeping service and labor control
- Good command of the English language
- Bi-lingual in Spanish preferred
- Successful candidate must possess legal work authorization in the United States
What to expect
- Salary Range – 75,000 to 82,000
- Be part of a cohesive team with opportunities to build a successful career with global potential
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Holiday, vacation, and sick pay
- Discounted RTD Flex Pass for employees
- 401k participation with a company matching program
- Complimentary stays at Four Seasons worldwide (subject to availability)
- Access to the Hotel’s health club facilities
- Free employee meals prepared by the culinary team
- Complimentary dry cleaning of employee uniforms
The Director-Housekeeping is responsible for ensuring efficient operations of the Housekeeping Department in accordance with the Hospitality standards as well as leading the entire Housekeeping Department including rooms front/back of house public areas and laundry. Exempt associates are expected to work as much of each workday as is necessary to complete their job responsibilities.
Exempt managers must customarily and regular direct the work of at least 3 full-time associates or their equivalents. Primary duties must consist of administrative executive or professional tasks more than 50 percent of the time and job duties must also involve the use of discretion and independent judgement more than 50 percent of the time.
- At least 7 years of progressive experience in a hotel or a related field; or a 2-year college degree and 5 or more years of related experience; or a 4-year college degree and at least 3 year of related experience
- Supervisory experience required
- Must be proficient in Windows operating systems Company approved spreadsheets and word processing
- Must have a valid driver’s license for the applicable state
- Must be able to convey information and ideas clearly
- Must be able to evaluate and select among alternative courses of action quickly and accurately
- Must work well in stressful high pressure situations
- Must maintain composure and objectivity under pressure
- Must be effective in handling problems in the workplace including anticipating preventing identifying and solving problems as necessary
- Must have the ability to assimilate complex information data etc. from disparate sources and consider adjust or modify to meet the constraints of the particular need
- Must be effective at listening to understanding clarifying and resolving the concerns and issues raised by coworkers and guests
- Must be able to work with and understand financial information and data and basic arithmetic functions
- Approach all encounters with guests and associates in an attentive friendly courteous and service oriented manner
- Maintain regular attendance in compliance with Aimbridge Hospitality standards as required by scheduling which will vary according to the needs of the hotel
- Maintain high standards of personal appearance and grooming which include wearing the proper uniform and name tag when working (per brand standards)
- Comply at all times with the Hotel’s standards and regulations to encourage safe and efficient operations
- Comply with certification requirements as applicable for position to include: Food Handlers Alcohol Awareness CPR and First Aid
- Establish and maintain a key control system for the department
- Operate radios efficiently and professionally in communicating with hotel staff
- Ensure the proper use of radio etiquette within the housekeeping department
- Monitor and direct all Housekeeping and Laundry leadership
- Ensure compliance to company and brand training using the steps to effective training according to standards
Responsible for the overall operation of Housekeeping and Laundry, including outside contractors and/or 3rd party vendors. Hires, trains, and coaches associates. Documents and issues disciplinary action as needed, up to and including termination.
Assigns and distributes work accordingly, setting department goals, objectives, and standards. Other responsibilities include the management of associate’s wardrobe, hotel floral, public areas, lockers rooms, including back of house offices, and hallways. Oversees the creation of unique touch points that reflect a sense of place, establishing local programs and standards for pets, kids, and special occasions such as anniversaries or birthdays, enhancing the in-room experience in accordance with the Hotel’s standards and best practices.
Essential duties and responsibilities
- Maintain complete knowledge of and comply with all departmental policies, service procedures, and standards, including brand product standards
- Ensure that standards are maintained at a superior level daily
- Establish and maintain a superior level of cleanliness and institute work rules to accomplish the same
- Develop working schedules to meet peak end low demand periods, following local labor law requirements
- Maintain payroll and labor costs
- Liaise with Front Office to ascertain and meet anticipated guest check-in and check-out – ensuring the correct inventory required is always available
- Inspect daily all areas to ensure hotel standards are maintained and address areas failing to meet standard
- Maintain a positive working relation with Engineering, meeting regularly to ensure a smooth and quick response to any in-room repair work needed
- Coordinate with Engineering to ensure a robust preventative maintenance program is in place and establish monthly KPI’s
- Knowledge of public area management and laundry operations
- Knowledge of proper chemical handling and following OSHA requirements
- Ability to satisfactorily communicate in English with guests, management and co-workers to their understanding
- Ability to provide legible communication
- Ability to manage payroll
- Ability to keep control of the budget
- Ability to train and develop the Housekeeping and Laundry departments
- Ability to motivate the staff and developing incentive programs to improve their productivity
- Prioritize, organize and follow-up
- Highly organized
- Be a clear thinker, remaining calm and resolving problems using good judgement
- Follow directions thoroughly
- Understand a guest’s service needs
- Work cohesively with co-workers as part of a team
- Work with minimal supervision
- Maintain confidentiality of guest information and pertinent hotel data
- Required to speak, read and write English, with fluency in other languages preferred
- Must be able to exert physical effort in transporting 20 pounds, endure various physical movements throughout the work areas, reach up and down, remain stationary at times throughout work periods, and satisfactorily communicate with guests and co-workers to their understanding
- College Degree
- Minimum two years experience as an Executive Housekeeper for a luxury or ultra-luxury hotel
Candidate Certification to Look For
Certified Environmental Services Executive
The CESE is offered by the Indoor Environmental Healthcare and Hospitality Association. This certification will provide real-world examples of how to safely and effectively operate the wide variety of equipment and chemicals needed to conduct adequate cleaning. Not only will the candidates learn the best methods and practices, but they’ll also be taught the underlying science of cleaning.
Sample Interview Questions
- What’s the most rewarding part of housekeeping?
- How would you keep employee schedules organized?
- Can you describe a time you had an employee dispute? How was it resolved?
- What was your most frustrating employee experience? How did you work around it?
- What was your most frustrating customer experience? How did you work around it?
- How many languages can you speak?
- What would you consider to be the strongest aspects to look for in a housekeeper?
- What do you think is the most important component of housekeeping?
- What does a healthy and happy work environment look like to you?
- What kind of responsibilities have you had in your previous position?
- Are you familiar with OSHA regulations?
- What do you do to maintain a safe working environment?
- Could you describe your cleaning process?
- How much experience do you have handling clean-up of large events?
- How do you delegate tasks that are too large to handle to your colleagues?
- What tactics do you use to stay organized?
- How would you handle an angry guest?
- What experience do you have in inventory management?