What Does a UX Developer Do?
UX (User Experience) developers create digital experiences that are intuitive, engaging, and accessible to users. They research user needs, create prototypes and wireframes, test usability, and iterate designs to optimize user satisfaction. UX developers are also responsible for creating a seamless experience that is visually appealing, enjoyable, and easy to navigate.
A UX developer sees the product or feature from conceptualization through delivery. They work closely with designers, product managers, and other stakeholders to understand user objectives and business requirements before developing and testing the product to ensure technical quality and usability.
Are you a job seeker?
of job openings
and apply online
National Average Salary
UX developer salaries vary by experience, industry, organization size, and geography. To explore salary ranges by local market, please visit our sister site zengig.com.
The average U.S. salary for a UX Developer is:
UX Developer Job Descriptions
When it comes to recruiting a UX developer, having the right job description can make a big difference. Here are some real world job descriptions you can use as templates for your next opening.
[Your Company Name] is hiring a new UX developer who will have a command of user-centered research and design practice and be responsible for promoting empathy and understanding of users when creating intuitive, easy-to-use products. The candidate will work in a fast-paced agile environment, collaborating closely with product managers and software engineers. They will gather data insights to formulate strategic design decisions during all phases of the product development life cycle. You will need to be able to effectively balance applying creative ideation to business challenges in order to build intuitive, easy-to-use products. As an ideal candidate, you have proven experience testing and improving products and features.
Typical duties and responsibilities
- Creating user-friendly designs and collecting user feedback
- Create mockups, wireframes, and prototypes
- Strong coding abilities to develop user-focused products
- Designing UX elements
- Creating original graphic designs
- Identifying/troubleshooting UX problems
- Collaborating with the product, engineering, and management teams
- Incorporating customer feedback to enhance user experience
Education and experience
- Associate’s degree in computer science, web development, graphic design, or a related field preferred
- 2+ years of experience in a similar role
Required skills and qualifications
- Ability to discuss and explain design options with the team
- Proficient UX research and writing skills
- Able to think critically
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Working knowledge of Adobe products, such as Photoshop, Acrobat, InDesign, and more
- Front-end coding ability for apps and other products
- Knowledge of usability factors in human-computer interaction
- Customer-centered problem solver
- Experience designing and implementing complex solutions for complete digital environments
ABC Company is seeking a highly motivated User Experience (UX) Developer to work on our XYZ team. The UX Developer will help bring the goals and objectives of our projects to life. The UX Developer should be comfortable working strategically and tactically, balancing big-picture thinking with impeccable attention to detail. The ideal candidate will thrive in a work environment that requires original thinking, strong problem-solving skills, self-direction, and collaboration with internal stakeholders and external clients. This individual excels at highly creative ideas born from an understanding of user needs and the ability to bring those ideas to life with great UX, UI, and visual design skills. A thorough understanding of contemporary user-centered design methodologies and mobile web design experience a must.
- BA or BS in design (Graphic, Interaction, Visual), Electronic Media, Computer Science, Human Factors, or related field
- At least 5 years of experience as a UI developer, UX designer, or similar role
- Experience with responsive web design and desktop client
- Excellent verbal, and written, and presentation skills
- Strong data analysis and visualization skills
- Strong experience of conceptual user experience design for industrial software products
- Experience working in the oil & gas, petrochemical, power, or other process industry
- Experience with ASP.Net
- Experience with SVG graphic visualizations and the D3.js library a plus
- Understanding of Agile software development
The UX Developer will provide the highest level of technical expertise for the design, development, and usability of user interfaces for ABC Company software products. They will provide leadership for all front-end design and code while effectively prioritizing and managing deadlines and internal client expectations. They will also develop innovative and effective solutions for the team’s web and mobile interfaces.
This role will require collaboration with project management, developers, engineers, and client teams to create the new look for our next generation of products. It requires broad development expertise and strong design experience with responsive user interfaces running on a broad array of devices, from large screen displays to small mobile screens. Successful candidates will demonstrate past success and enthusiasm to work in a global team-oriented environment that offers the opportunity to build the discipline.
Essential duties and responsibilities:
Product Vision Development
- Partner with backend development, project management, test engineers, and client teams to create the new look for our next generation of products
- Engage with other developers to create structures that facilitate effective communication in user interfaces
- Develop code from sitemaps, wireframes, storyboards, and HTML prototypes
- Primarily responsible for the front-end of online projects and partnering with backend development to ensure that the front and back-ends work together as expected
- Establish and follow best practices in creating UI components
- Other duties, as assigned
- Provide technical leadership to the project team; ensure that all team members are working together effectively, are communicating with other teams, and producing quality work in line with the overall program vision
- Provide useful updates to allow other managers to plan their business activities
- Work with internal and external customers to develop systems to meet required business specifications
- Act as a liaison with specified user areas
- Identify client software applications and hardware requirements
- Assist the scrum manager in performing required tests, installation procedures, and anything else required to complete sprints on time
Required knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Familiarity with source code version control, preferably Git repos
- Familiarity with responsive design strategy and implementation (Hands-on experience a plus)
- Experience with an enterprise level application development
- Hands-on experience working within a scrum team
- Experience deploying cloud-based applications (Azure, GCP, Amazon preferred)
Preferred knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- 5+ years of UX software development and IA experience
- Knowledge of software development in public cloud environments (AWS preferred)
- Excellent time management and organization; able to handle pressure and meet deadlines
- Skill in prioritizing and triaging obligations
- Attention to detail
- Successful track record of meeting and exceeding goals
- Ability to achieve results while working independently
- Ability to travel on company business, attend client functions, and professionally represent the company
Education and experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or other related field like Electrical or Computer Engineering; Master’s degree preferred
- 5+ years of experience working as a UX developer or highest-level technical contributor on enterprise software development teams
- 2 years of experience working in an Agile software development environment
- Delivering high-quality visual designs for Control Center, with a focus on using React/HTML to build frontend pages
- Translate Figma prototypes into infographics, data visualizations, application features, and more
- Develop all materials in a detailed and timely manner
- Participate in UX design and prototyping sessions to create wireframes for feature development
- Collaborate in an Agile environment and liaison with team members to effectively communicate business requirements and expectations
- Identify opportunities and implement process improvements to enhance team effectiveness
- Stay up to date with design trends, best practices, and new capabilities, and use this knowledge to push our designs forward
- Proficiency in D3.js or other scripting languages like React Charts to create dashboards
- 5+ years proven track record as a successful UX/UI developer
- Expertise with user interface design
- An eye for design detail
- Passionate and energetic attitude
- Motivated to successfully meet deadlines
- Proficiency in design tools such as Figma, Illustrator, Photoshop, Axure is a plus
Candidate Certifications to Look For
- Certified Usability Analyst (CUA) – This certification is for candidates who are just beginning their UX career path. It is a 10-day course with an exam that must be passed with a score above 70%. This certification demonstrates mastery of the fundamental principles of user-centered design.
- Certified User Experience Analyst (CXA) – This certification is for candidates who are experienced professionals who want to learn more advanced skills. Coursework is optional but recommended, and an exam is required to earn certification.
- Certified Digital Persuasion Analyst (CDPA) – This certification can help increase conversion and will complement mastery of SEO, web analytics, CRO, and branding. This certification is ideal for digital, mobile, and content marketers, product managers, and social media engineers. An exam is required to pass certification.
Sample Interview Questions
- Give a brief description of the design process you follow and the methods you use.
- How does UX differ from other design disciplines?
- Tell me about some of your favorite examples of high-quality UX.
- How do you respond to negative feedback?
- What made you go into UX development?
- Tell me about a project that didn’t go as planned. How did you fix it?
- What is your design and coding process, from research through implementation?
- How do you decide which features to add to your product?
- How do you ensure accessibility?
- How do you remain current with new technologies, industry trends, and best practices?
- Tell me about a time when you disagreed with your team’s decision.
- Describe your thought process when forced to sacrifice aesthetics for functionality.