What Does an AutoCAD Designer Do?
An AutoCAD designer is a professional who uses AutoCAD software to create, edit, and modify detailed 2D and 3D drawings and designs. The drawings and designs created by AutoCAD designers are used in a variety of industries, such as architecture, engineering, construction, manufacturing, and product design.
AutoCAD designers typically use the software to create detailed technical drawings and plans, such as architectural plans, mechanical schematics, and electrical diagrams. They also use the software to create 3D models of buildings, products, and other objects, and can use these models to create photorealistic visualizations and animations. Designers are responsible for collaborating with other members of the design team, such as architects and engineers, to ensure that the drawings and designs they create meet project requirements.
Are you a job seeker?
of job openings
and apply online
National Average Salary
AutoCAD designer salaries vary by experience, industry, organization size, and geography. To explore salary ranges by local market, please visit our sister site zengig.com.
The average U.S. salary for an AutoCAD Designer is:
AutoCAD Designer Job Descriptions
The key to attracting the ideal AutoCAD designer often lies in the job description. To make this task easier, we have curated a selection of examples that can be used as templates, ensuring you set the right foundation for your talent search.
We are looking for an AutoCAD designer to join our team! If you have experience in the AutoCAD design field and have experience working closely with an engineer, this position might be for you! [Your Company Name] is looking for a professional, active, and fast AutoCAD designer to assist our engineer in relevant projects. Candidate tasks will include creating occasional, original designs and mocking up 2D sketches provided by the engineer. This position is part-time, but has the potential to become full-time. The candidate should have a good working knowledge of CAD software, engineering, and architecture. If this sounds your dream job, please apply! We would love to have you join our team.
Typical duties and responsibilities
- Use computer-aided design (CAD) software to create drawings and plans
- Collaborate with architects and engineers on projects
- Determine the proper size and materials for products
- Add details to architectural plans
Education and experience
AutoCAD designers need to earn a high school diploma or equivalent, with classes in math, science, design, and computer graphics. Graduates typically continue their education by earning an associate’s degree from a community college or certificate from a technical school. Professional certifications also are available.
Required skills and qualifications
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong collaborative and interpersonal skills
- Expertise in time management and the ability to meet deadlines
- Ability to understand technical drawings and plans
- Advanced math and computer skills
- Creativity and artistic ability
- Keen attention to detail
- Familiar with AutoCAD software
- Ability to self-manage
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering or related field
- 4+ years of experience
Duties and responsibilities
- Develop store designs for new stores and remodels with a creative and problem-solving approach while adhering to brand standards
- Work collaboratively with internal management and 3rd party vendors to achieve best practices and standardization across the brands
- Manage the company’s corporate prototype designs through the 3rd party architect and engineer ensuring XYZ’s design standards are met with an overall focus on reducing construction costs
- Create schematic layouts and elevations in CAD for new store locations and current store remodels and renovations
- Work with external partners including but not limited to Architects, Engineers, Sign Manufactures and Installers, Fixture Contractors, and other applicable vendors to bid on projects and assess project costs
- Support the Planning team and Project Directors with timelines, scheduling, budgeting, project documentation, and project delivery
- Generate reports and checklists as directed
- Site visits for as-built measurements and field verification as required
- Degree in Architecture, Engineering, Design, Project/Construction Management, or a related field
- Two to three years of related professional experience preferred
- Strong ability to work in CAD software required
- 3-D modeling software and/or Adobe Creative Suite experience a plus
- Understanding of construction project management, schedules, project budgeting, and compliance monitoring
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office software applications, including Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and MS Project
- Ability to manage multiple tasks involving complex and varying problems
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Proven attention to detail
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Create engineering drawings using AutoCAD for telecommunications new site builds, modification projects, site upgrades, and fiber optic builds
- Track assigned tasks and prioritize the completion of tasks accordingly
- Maintain ABC Company’s CAD standards and templates
- Learn telecommunications equipment and client-specific equipment and their usage
- Learn conduit design from client-specific standards
- Read and analyze existing blueprints, construction drawings, and plans
- Routinely produce accurate drawings promptly and efficiently
- Ability to complete CAD drawings independently in a timely manner
- Learn construction methods and best practices
- Evaluate the design for constructability
- Technical degree or appropriate commensurate experience required, B.S. Civil/Structural Engineering, Building Construction preferred
- 0 to 3 years of experience with the production of engineering drawings
- Proficiency in AutoCAD and Microsoft Office Suite
- Working knowledge of 3D modeling software such as Autodesk Inventor
- Ability to work autonomously without supervision required
- Experience with the production of structural and/or civil engineering drawings for telecommunications new site builds, upgrades, and fiber optic networks (or similar site engineering drawings) preferred
- Telecommunications and/or utility experience preferred
- Ability to review site documentation and gather the necessary information to complete the assignment
What you will do on a typical day
- To interpret specifications and drawings and take responsibility for all technical aspects of creating complete, functional, and safe mechanical designs from them
- To work with the Project Manager to complete drawings and calculations for submittal and manufacturing according to project schedules and budgets
- To interact with in a professional manner and supervise all designers, engineers, production personnel, contractors, or customers involved with the same or related projects
- To support the design, manufacture, and installation of all projects throughout the complete production process including travel to the work site when required
- To become familiar with the documented company processes and standards. Identify non-conformances and initiate Corrective Action Reports as necessary
- To contribute to the company infrastructure whenever possible through activities such as the development of new products and processes, as well as maintenance of Standard Product Drawings
- Identifying non-conformities and initiating Corrective Action Reports and Supplier Action Reports as needed
- Performing work activities that are in line with achieving the company’s Quality Objectives
At a minimum, you’ll need
- 2-year technical degree
- Proficiency in mechanical drawing principles and CAD software
- Proficiency in technical math and the principles of machinery design
- Proficiency in word processing and spreadsheet software
- The current version of AutoCAD
Candidate Certifications to Look For
- Autodesk Certified Professional in AutoCAD for Design and Drafting. The Autodesk Certified Professional in AutoCAD certificate is an industry-recognized standard for AutoCAD designers. This certificate was created for advanced candidates in order to further their CAD skillsets revolving around AutoCAD and Autodesk. This program is offered by the official Autodesk company.
- AutoCAD and Digital Manufacturing. The AutoCAD and Digital Manufacturing certificate is also offered by Autodesk, not only providing industry recognition, but assistance in training and understanding AutoCAD techniques. This certificate also offers digital manufacturing training in order to provide a comprehensive certificate for industry professionals.
How to Hire an AutoCAD Designer
There are a number of initial considerations when hiring an AutoCAD designer:
- Recruiting: Do you have the internal resources and tools to source and recruit for this role successfully?
- Complexity: Do you need a senior professional, or will mid, or even junior-level skills suffice?
- Duration: Is this a one-time project, or an indefinite need?
- Management: Do you have the time and expertise to direct the work effort effectively?
- Urgency: Are there any deadlines associated with this need?
- Headcount: Do you have the budget and approval for an internal employee, or should you consider alternate options?
Answering these questions will help determine the best course of action for your current hiring need. Fortunately, various great options exist for every scenario, no matter how unique. When hiring an AutoCAD designer, we recommend the following options:
1. Use 4 Corner Resources (or another professional recruiting firm)
The heavy lifting is done for you when working with a top-tier staffing company like 4 Corner Resources. We source, screen, recruit, and deliver only the most qualified candidate(s), saving you significant time and effort throughout the hiring process while you remain focused on your core business. Understanding your needs and ensuring the right candidate for the position is the key to our success.
This is the best route to take when:
- You need to fill the position quickly
- You want access to a vast talent pool of high-quality, prescreened candidates
- Your position is suited for temporary hiring services, contract staffing, or contract-to-hire recruiting, and you intend to direct the work activity.
- You are hiring an employee as a direct placement but aren’t able to recruit effectively or efficiently with your internal staff.
- You aren’t familiar with current salary rates, market trends, and available skill sets
2. Advertise your opening on a top job board
Your best option may be to advertise your opening on a proven job board. There are many widely used job sites out there that draw visits from qualified candidates. If you have someone internally who can dedicate the time and energy to sort through applications and screen individuals effectively, this can be a great choice.
We recommend using a job board when:
- Your internal recruiting team has the knowledge and experience to assess candidate qualifications
- You are hiring a direct employee and have time to manage the entire recruiting effort
- You have a process for receiving, screening, and tracking all resumes and applications
- You are prepared to respond to all applicants
We recommend using CareerBuilder when hiring an AutoCAD designer:
CareerBuilder has been a trusted source for hiring since 1995. Reach 80+ million unique, diverse U.S. job seekers annually by posting your jobs through their talent acquisition channels. Through CareerBuilder, you can engage candidates and drive them into your sourcing pipeline. We recommend using CareerBuilder for hiring when you have the internal resources and processes to review, screen, and reply to all applicants.
3. Leverage your internal resources
You can utilize your own website, social media, and employees to assist in your search for top candidates.
A company website posting should be the first step in notifying prospective candidates that you are hiring. Social media can also be a powerful tool for spreading the word about your new opening. As far as exposure is concerned, this option can be as good as some job boards when you have a large enough following across various platforms, like LinkedIn, Instagram, Facebook, TikTok, and Twitter.
Current employees are every organization’s greatest asset. Encourage your internal team to promote job openings to their network by offering cash and other incentives.
We recommend these options when:
- Your brand has great name recognition
- You can consistently monitor and respond to candidate activity through your website and social media accounts
- You have a process in place to quickly and broadly communicate job openings and requirements
- You have an effective employee referral program in place
If you aren’t sure which path is best, schedule a discovery call today with our seasoned recruiting professionals. The 4 Corner team is on standby to help you find the best option for your unique hiring need.
Sample Interview Questions
- Are you familiar with AutoCAD?
- Do you have any previous experience using AutoCAD or other CAD software?
- What relevant certifications do you have for this position?
- How would you go about designing a user interface with AutoCAD?
- What are the normal file formats with AutoCAD?
- What are the primary uses of AutoCAD?
- What are the system requirements of this software and similar CAD software?
- What is your previous experience in architecture and engineering?
- Have you had any previous AutoCAD-related jobs or positions?
- Are you able to communicate and carry out instructions well?