What Does a Software Developer Do?
Software developers design, develop, implement, and maintain software applications for various industries, including healthcare, finance, and technology. Working alone or as part of a team, they identify user needs, design software solutions, write code, and test and debug software applications.
Software developers must have a strong foundation in programming languages such as Java, Python, or C++, as well as an understanding of database management, software architecture, and software development methodologies. In addition to specific technical skills, they also need soft skills like communication, teamwork, and critical thinking. Having an eye for detail, staying current with new technologies, and a passion for problem-solving are also important traits for success in this role.
Are you a job seeker?
of job openings
and apply online
National Average Salary
Software developer salaries vary by experience, industry, organization size, and geography. To explore salary ranges by local market, please visit our sister site zengig.com.
The average U.S. salary for a Software Developer is:
Software Developer Job Descriptions
It’s important to include the right content in your job description when hiring a software developer. The following examples can serve as templates for attracting the best available talent for your team.
A software developer uses knowledge of programming languages to design computer software. They work with clients, management, and a team of coders to design software for computers and mobile devices. Software developers also run tests, fix bugs, and use feedback from users to improve the software. [Your Company Name] is hiring experienced software developers to join our team. This job requires three to five years of experience working as a software developer. We are seeking creative candidates with good attention to detail, excellent communication skills, a strong work ethic, and high adaptability.
Typical duties and responsibilities
- Develop, test and implement new software programs
- Modify, expand and update applications
- Develop software prototypes
- Facilitate root cause analysis of system issues
- Compile timely, comprehensive and accurate documentation and reports as requested
Education and experience
A bachelor’s degree in computer science or a related discipline is strongly preferred for this position.
Required skills and qualifications
- Excellent problem-solving and analytical abilities
- Extremely detail-oriented
- Ability to work independently and as part of a development team
- Several years of programming experience
- Experience of being a part of the Agile/Scrum environment
- Team player, problem solver, and a good communicator with a desire to work hard
- Reviews, analyzes, and evaluates application systems while consulting with senior IS staff to identify current operating procedures and to clarify program objectives
- Presents findings and recommendations in written reports and oral presentations
- Writes documentation to describe user needs, program development, logic, coding, and corrections, as well as installation and operating procedures
- Creates and modifies application systems as directed, including coding, testing, and debugging
- Creates and modifies reports as directed with minimal supervision
- Participates and contributes as a team member on projects
- Provides a satisfactory level of service within cost and time constraints; maintains and meets scheduled deadline dates
- Provides Technical Support to the Information Services Operations team as required during and after normal business hours.
- In rotation with others as assigned, provides for after-hours/on-call support of the Information Services Operations department.
- Must be able to work onsite as required
- Assists with any tasks and projects as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field or demonstrated equivalent experience required.
- Must have working knowledge of commonly used concepts, practices, and procedures within the IS industry
- Must have working knowledge of the Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC)
- Must have knowledge of programming fundamentals
- Must have knowledge of structured and object-oriented programming
- Familiarity writing SQL queries preferred.
- Familiarity working with relational databases and client-server concepts preferred
- Must be able to work under minimal supervision
- Must be flexible to handle and adapt to sudden changes in procedures and priorities
- Must be well organized and able to handle multiple tasks simultaneously
- Excellent communication skills in English required, both verbal and written
- Occasional standing, walking, bending, and stooping required
- Must be able to moderately lift or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift or move up to 25 pounds
- Must be able to occasionally push, pull, and climb a ladder
- Should possess a strong commitment to providing excellent service to ABC Company’s customers
ABC Company is looking for an Engineering Software Developer for our (City, State) office. This person will be part of a team developing proprietary software tools used by ABC Company engineers to analyze and design some of the most challenging structures in the energy infrastructure industry. Depending on the project, daily activities — under the guidance of a lead engineer or developer — may include developing and analyzing requirements, researching, and implementing solutions, as well as validating and documenting the implemented software tools. The role reports to the Department Manager and routinely interacts with other Plate Structures Engineers, Plate Structures Designers, Project Engineers, and Managers.
Key tasks and responsibilities:
- Design, research and develop new applications and major enhancements
- Work in all phases of the full life cycle of requirements, analysis, design, development, testing, and documentation
- Collaborate with managers and engineers to understand and document software requirements and gather user feedback
- Research and apply new development technologies, languages, and platforms
- Coordinate with other roles and functions on development team
- Forecast how long it will take to do a task – commit to definitive deadlines
- Track progress against forecasts
- Effectively use version control repositories
- Effectively use project team or department collaboration and productivity apps and tools
Essential qualifications and education:
- 2+ years of relevant experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering, Structural Engineering, or related field from an accredited school is required
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills
- Experience with Wolfram language preferred
The Software Architect & Developer will lead the software engineering team in architecting and developing the system software for ABC Company’s Optical Communications Link products. The Software Architect and Developer will lead and define system software architecture, develop and test of the various software modules, work with other engineering discipline leads to ensure system integration, and customer and product requirements are being satisfied, while aligning the design to the overall product line technology road map. The Software Architect and Developer will work alongside other engineering discipline team members and the Chief Systems Engineer to ensure quality, accurate and timely designs are completed. The Software Architect will be highly knowledgeable of software architecting and development processes, tools, and standards to develop optical wireless communications (OWC) products for terrestrial, airborne and space applications. In addition, the role will work with the Program Management team for execution on programs, supporting reporting needs, and status for the design work performed.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Create software architecture and designs that consider both current and possible future system and product requirements
- Collaborate with other professionals to determine functional and non-functional requirements for new software or applications
- Use tools and methodologies to create representations for functions and interfaces of desired product
- Develop high-level product specifications with attention to system integration and feasibility
- Define all aspects of development from appropriate technology and workflow to coding standards
- Establish the proper work-flow within a SAFe Agile Development environment
- Oversee the Design, code, test, and debugging of system software elements and support software tools
- Write automated unit tests using TDD and BDD techniques
- Mentor experienced and inexperienced developers
- Peer review other team members’ work
- Diagnose software issues and propose solutions that achieve the proper balance between technically-sound yet quick to implement
- Be motivated by problem solving and development of the range of solutions, over the system development lifecycle
- Participating and representing the company in various customer meetings and support programmatic and technical reviews (e.g., SRR, PDR, CDR, etc.) to provide technical recommendations and risk assessments
- Repeated use and application of technical standards, principles, theories, concepts, and techniques
- Supporting the development and managing the technical risk registers and developing any required mitigation plans for all key product technical risks
- Facilitate capture of engineering lessons learned and ensure processes and design guidance tailored from industry best practices and key program learning
- Supporting the configuration management and control of product design BOMs and relevant technical data
- Actively engage in the development and continuous improvement of engineering processes
Required experience & skills:
- Proficiency in designing system software from the OS level to application level
- Mastery of multiple high-level languages such as C++, Python
- Proficiency with FreeRTOS OS
- Proficiency within an Agile/SCRUM process
- Knowledge of testable application design principles, utilizing Karma, NUnit, or similar
- Strong understanding of SQL and relational databases, such as Postgres or MySQL
- Proficiency with developing software for I2C, SPI, RS485, SpaceWire and/or CANBus
- Well-honed skills in source control management using Git or similar
- Proven success in mentoring experienced and inexperienced developers
- Proficiency in communicating to various audiences and able to adjust message to a particular audience
- Ability to be a technical leader by influencing and educating others
Desired experience & skills:
- Proficiency in HTML5 or other web technologies
- Understanding of embedded FPGA programming and development
- Strong Proficiency in developing in Windows or Linux environments
- Effective presentation skills, both content creation and presentation of materials.
- Demonstrated willingness to be flexible and adaptable to changing priorities and make objective, defendable work products with the information at hand, in a timely manner
- Track record of independent work and self-motivation
- Experience with ISO 9001, DoD, or equivalent work environment
- At least 8 years of relevant experience in software development
- At least 2 years of proven software architecting
- B.S. in Computer Science, or related field
- M.S. preferred
Candidate Certifications to Look For
- Certified Software Development Professional (CSDP). Offered by the IEEE Computer Society, the CSDP certification demonstrates a knowledge of software requirements, software design, software construction, and software testing. The exam is three hours long with 160 questions. Once certified, candidates will have to recertify every three years.
- Certified ScrumMaster (CSM). Scrum is a method of project management used in the software development process. This certification prepares candidates to help their team more effectively use Scrum to manage projects. Four levels of certification offer the chance to upgrade their skills as their career progresses.
Sample Interview Questions
- Which programming languages and technologies are you most proficient in?
- What is your software development process?
- What sparked your interest in working as a software developer?
- Why do you think you would be a good fit for our company?
- What steps do you take to ensure the scalability and maintainability of your code?
- What area of programming has been the most challenging for you?
- What resources do you use when encountering a problem with your code?
- What training and certifications have you received?
- How do you manage your time when working on multiple projects at once?
- How do you communicate with coworkers who do not have the technical understanding you have?
- How has your previous position prepared you for this job?
- Which of your projects was particularly challenging, and how did you overcome obstacles?
- How do you stay up to date with the most recent technological advances in the field?
- How do you stay up to date with new programming languages and technologies?
- What steps do you take during the software development process to prioritize security and privacy?
- How do you determine a project’s success?