What Does a Recruiting Manager Do?
Recruiting managers lead and manage recruiters to ensure the organization has the talent it needs to succeed. Working closely with hiring managers, they develop and implement recruitment strategies, as well as oversee the entire recruiting process, from sourcing candidates to hiring. In addition to attracting and retaining the best talent, recruiting managers are responsible for continuously improving the recruitment process to meet changing needs.
A successful recruiting manager is able to communicate effectively and interpersonally, possess strong leadership qualities, and work in a fast-paced, dynamic environment. In addition, they should be familiar with labor laws and regulations related to hiring and recruitment, as well as experience using different recruiting tools and techniques.
Are you a job seeker?
of job openings
and apply online
National Average Salary
Recruiting manager salaries vary by experience, industry, organization size, and geography. To explore salary ranges by local market, please visit our sister site zengig.com.
The average U.S. salary for a Recruiting Manager is:
Recruiting Manager Job Descriptions
When it comes to recruiting a recruiting manager, having the right job description can make a big difference. Here are some real world job descriptions you can use as templates for your next opening.
A recruiting manager is needed at [Your Company Name]. It is the job of the recruiting manager to ensure all roles needed for the company to continue operating well are filled. They must oversee those that are recruiting, to give the most effective methods possible. This may include going out to job fairs, checking job ads, and creating relationships with those who may provide candidates. Maintaining these things and guaranteeing they are effective is a vital part of the job. It is important to make sure only those who will provide long-term value to the company are hired. This may waver depending on the company, as different companies have different expectations and missions. If an employee who is a net negative, or maybe not worth their hourly rate, is hired, the fault will lie on the shoulders of you and the recruiters you manage. In order to successfully do this, it is a necessity to have great conversation skills.
Typical duties and responsibilities
- Develop and manage recruiting strategies to fulfill personnel needs
- Identify potential candidates through various recruiting tools
- Manage and maintain a full-cycle recruiting process is maintained
- Develop new and innovative techniques for finding and recruiting candidates
- Oversee and develop recruiting staff
Education and experience
This position requires a bachelor’s degree in human resources management, business administration, organizational development, or a related field.
Required skills and qualifications
- Experience working in full-cycle recruitment
- Working knowledge of Applicant Tracking System (ATS)
- Expertise using different sourcing methods and databases
- Strong relationship-building and communication skills
- Expertise in adaptability, accountability, and confidentiality
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite
- 5+ years of experience as a recruiter
- Experience managing a team of professionals
- Master’s degree in business management or similar field
As the Hotel Recruiting Manager, you are an expert in recruiting hotel professionals that focus their background on luxury and ultra-luxury brand standards. As ABC Company’s first hotel, you will have an innovative mindset to focus on creating an exceptional hiring journey for all candidates.
To ensure quality alignment with ownership’s upscale brand and luxurious lifestyle, you will collaborate closely with ABC Company’s P&C Department and manage the hotel’s pre-opening and opening hiring process.
This includes identifying and attracting high-quality talent, interfacing with candidates and hiring managers, assisting in the pre-employment screening process, providing systems, and reporting support and analysis.
- Source and identify prospective talent that possess a high level of sophistication and have a strong network within organizations that represent a luxurious brand
- Collaborate with Shared Services’ recruiting team to coordinate hiring activities for maximum effectiveness
- Administer posting open positions and ensure they are posted to required job boards internally and externally
- Expeditiously execute recruitment and staffing plans that support growth through external hiring and internal transfers
- Provide technical knowledge and support of the day-to-day operations of recruitment and staffing for all employee levels to include sourcing candidates, interviewing, and screening candidates for required positions, preparing recruitment materials, posting jobs to appropriate job board/websites/social media/etc.
- Manage the ATS to ensure candidates are receiving appropriate communication and feedback
- Successfully manage, prioritize, and close searches within established recruiting metrics
- Develop and maintain internal and external professional relationships and utilize traditional and innovative sourcing techniques to identify qualified candidates
- Schedule and coordinate onsite and video interviews with hiring managers
- Create offer letters and initiate new hire paperwork and orientation
- Collaborate with HRBPs to establish a seamless onboarding experience for the candidates
- Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resources or relevant experience
- 7-10yrs or more of recruiting experience
- Preferred experience in Hotel, Hospitality, and Luxury and Ultra-Luxury markets
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite
- Experience working with Applicant Tracking Systems (ATS)
- Bilingual: English and Spanish
You’re an experienced Talent Acquisition leader obsessed with making connections, excited by the hunt to find entrepreneurial and gritty engineers and energized by the opportunity to work alongside world-class teams building cutting edge product that pushes the boundaries of scale and responsiveness. You lead teams with high collaboration and agility. You have the confidence (and chops) to have meaningful conversations with business groups internally as well as technical talent across the globe.
- Responsible for building relationships with leaders and stakeholders across multiple geographies to drive talent strategy and goals for the technology teams
- Grow, mentor, and lead an engaged and high performing team
- Creatively source and connect with top/leading/best-of-the-best engineering talent
- Act as the industry go-to for top-talent (via networking, keeping up with tech news, industry mapping, etc.)
- Become an expert in selling the company story, the exciting challenges our engineers get to tackle everyday, and an unbeatable culture
- Conduct initial phone screens, informational interviews, and in-office interviews
- Maintain communications and correspondence with candidates, ensuring all candidates receive feedback and have a positive experience throughout the process
- Hold hiring stakeholders accountable and assist in keeping the hiring process on track
- Solicit referrals from potential talent and internal employees/recent hires
- Attend industry networking events, meet-ups, and campus recruiting activities to build brand awareness and engage/attract top talent
- BA/BS degree or equivalent practical experience
- 8+ years technical recruiting experience for software, product-driven companies OR agency recruiting focused on hiring technical talent
- Demonstrated ability to lead teams
- Experience in building recruiting strategies
- Ability and passion for having technical discussions
- Equipped with creative sourcing techniques, and a proven track record of engaging talent/ hiring for hard to fill roles at super speed
- Exceptional oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Highly organized and able to handle shifting priorities and schedules
- Maintains high level of confidentiality and professionalism
- Manage a team of recruiters who facilitate the entire life cycle of recruiting from candidate generation through direct sourcing, interviewing, and hiring
- Develop and operationalize recruiting strategies that emphasize data analytics, quality, diversity, and process efficiency
- Lead and develop the recruiting team, while continuously improving capability and delivering exceptional results
- Create and monitor recruitment metrics to assess recruiting effectiveness and predict future opportunities or roadblocks
- Make data-driven decisions on recruiting strategies and the direction of the recruiting team
- Identify and integrate recruitment tools and technologies to enhance recruiting quality and effectiveness
- Focus on delivering a superior candidate experience throughout the entire recruiting life cycle
- Partner with key hiring managers and leaders across the business to ensure strategic alignment and an exceptional level of hiring manager experience
- Cultivate a strong employer brand that aligns with ABC Company’s overall branding strategy and helps attract top talent to the agency
- Stay ahead of trends through networking and benchmarking then incorporate the information into the recruiting processes
- Leadership/Management skills
- Goal-orienteded, sense of urgency, efficient, and deadline-driven
- Time management, patient, perseverant, and persistent
- Strong attention to detail
- Excellent communication skills
- Demonstrates honesty, realism, and integrity
- Exudes self-confidence, self-motivation, work ethic, and drive
- Team player, adaptable, and flexible
Required experience and education:
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 3-7 years or more of business-related experience within professional services, IT, or Staffing
- Self-motivated, detail-oriented, and driven by success
- World-class communication skills both written and verbal
- Competitive, ambitious, and goal-oriented
- Works well with others and thrives in a team environment
Candidate Certifications to Look For
- PRC. The Professional Recruiter Certification is a curriculum designed to teach candidates how to thrive in their careers. It teaches a broad range of topics within the hiring field, including negotiating, and employee tunnels.
- CSMR. If recruiters work specifically with social media when it comes to finding candidates, this may be the certification for them. It focuses on the utilization of niches on the internet, allowing candidates to get the specific employee they wished for. Certifications such as this may be helpful to their career, possibly giving an increased salary or even landing them a job.
- ECRE. This certification is only for candidates who have already taken four courses with the AIR program. This title gives much more credibility, proving that they are in fact an expert in the field. If candidates need to get a job that requires experience or clearly defined talent, this may be the certification for them.
- Certified Diversity and Inclusion Recruiter. If the company candidates work for has a standard of diversity, getting this certificate may help them. It offers the necessary resources to either open their eyes to be more inclusive or maybe just a reminder of that standard. Either way, this will show a candidate’s employer that they care about this issue, and have taken the time to resolve it.
Sample Interview Questions
- Do you have experience leading and managing a team of recruiters, and what techniques do you use to motivate and engage them?
- How do you select the best candidates for the position based on your experience conducting interviews?
- How do you ensure that the needs of the role are met throughout the recruitment process by working with hiring managers?
- When you had to negotiate salaries and benefits with a candidate, what steps did you take to ensure a fair and competitive offer?
- How do you ensure the effectiveness of various recruiting tools and techniques, such as social media, job boards, and employee referrals?
- How did you ensure that the organization’s needs were met during a challenging recruitment process, such as a shortage of qualified candidates or an overwhelming volume of applicants?
- In your experience, how do you ensure that recruitment strategies are aligned with the organization’s needs?
- In what ways do you ensure a fair and equitable recruitment process, as well as the professional treatment of all candidates?
- What steps do you take to ensure compliance with labor laws and regulations regarding recruitment and hiring?
- How did you ensure the success of a recruitment process you managed?