An ultrasound technician helps health professionals diagnose patients’ ailments through special equipment that uses high-frequency sound waves to record images of internal organs. Ultrasound technicians will work directly with the patients and physicians, and can specialize in a variety of sonography fields. Typical duties for ultrasound technicians include recognizing and recording the appropriate anatomy and pathology, writing reports based upon the scan results, and alerting any abnormalities that need immediate attention.
Ultrasound technicians may work independently or with minimal supervision on a team. This job requires maintaining the strictest levels of confidentiality and great interpersonal, problem-solving, and decision-making skills. An ultrasound technician will have the ability to remain focused in a fast-paced environment and the flexibility to work long shifts.
Sample job description #1
ABC Company is seeking a registered Ultrasound Technologist to join our women’s healthcare practice in (city, state). The ideal candidate is an experienced professional who has a certificate in abdominal and gynecologic sonography. We run a fast-paced office with three medical providers. The successful applicant will communicate clearly and frequently with our team to ensure the highest level of care for our patients.
- Prepare the exam room and ultrasound equipment to conduct examinations
- Recognize and record the appropriate anatomy and pathology using sonographic equipment
- Calibrate, maintain, and control all ultrasound equipment
- Explain ultrasound procedures to patients so they feel comfortable with the experience
- Alert appropriate medical staff of any abnormalities that need immediate attention
- Use the ability to solve problems and make decisions
- Work independently or with minimal supervision and as part of a team
- Manage multiple priorities and projects, and display flexibility in a fast-paced work environment
- Display good work ethic and friendly and cheerful disposition
- Maintain the strictest levels of confidentiality
- Pursue professional development for the continual improvement of patient care
- 2+ years experience as a gynecologic or abdominal ultrasound technician
- Gynecology sonography certification required
- Knowledge of human anatomy and functions
- Ability to communicate with patients and medical staff clearly and concisely
- High level of professionalism
- Ability to multitask
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Nice to haves
- A passion for collaborating with a leadership team that is focused on creating exceptional women’s healthcare
Sample job description #2
About the role
As an experienced OB/MFM sonographer, you will be working in a fast-paced, rapidly growing environment where you will be relied on for your expertise, professionalism, and collaboration. This position performs high quality and accurate diagnostic ultrasound images. Interacts with patients, physicians, and staff in a professional and friendly manner. This is a full time position.
- Conduct phone meetings with physicians throughout the medical office to answer questions or attain detailed relating to ordered sonographic images
- Prepare ultrasound equipment and exam room ensuring proper sterilization and safety procedures are followed
- Review the patient’s medical chart prior to their appointment and have a clear understanding of the images required
- Use positioning tools and safety equipment properly to ensure patient safety and comfort throughout the imaging
- Attend continuing education courses and work to advance personal knowledge and experience within the field
- Use ethical judgment and critical thinking skills to perform diagnostic imaging safely
- Review images before sending to the physician to ensure a clear image of the area requested
- Use ethical judgment and critical thinking skills to perform diagnostic imaging safely
Who you are
- Completion of formal Ultrasound training in an AMA approved school, and meeting the requirements for registry by ARDMS
- RDMS/RVT required
- Understanding and ability to follow MD protocols for procedures
- Ability to effectively operate all pieces of equipment utilized within the scope of this job
- Prior experience with fertility patients strongly preferred
- Minimum of two years of experience as an ultrasound technologist in women’s health
- Proficiency with EMR for documentation and sonographic report presentation
- Demonstrated knowledge and adherence to HIPAA legislation and other patient privacy laws
- Experience working with sensitive and personal patient records and information
- Physical endurance and the ability to work primarily in a standing position
- Proficient in troubleshooting common software and hardware challenges in relation to the regular use of an ultrasound machine
- Accountability and attention to detail is essential when handling and documenting important medical information
- A friendly and professional demeanor is required when explaining procedures and processes to patients
Sample job description #3
In this role, the Sonographer (Ultrasound), under the general supervision of an attending radiologist, and in accordance with department protocols, will utilize high frequency sound waves and other diagnostic techniques to produce and evaluate ultrasound images and related data which is used by physicians in rendering a medical diagnosis resulting in quality patient care.
- Performs and demonstrates competence in ultrasonic scanning procedures by producing, assessing and evaluating ultrasound images and related data that are used by physicians to render a medical diagnosis
- Recognizing, identifying and appropriately documenting normal anatomy, abnormalities, disease, pathology and pathophysiology for accurate medical diagnosis.
- Performing all types of ultrasound procedures and services, in accordance with department protocol, to ensure appropriate patient care for patients in all age categories (neonatal, pediatric, adolescent, adult, and geriatric).
- Completing ultrasonic scans within given procedure time parameters when performing ultrasonic scans to expedite patient care.
- Labeling and identifying ultrasonic scans with proper information including patient name, medical record number, and scanning orientation for accurate documentation of ultrasonic images.
- Assesses, plans, and provides age appropriate care, education and comfort for each patient.
- Control the spread of disease and infection by following and maintaining infection control/universal precautions policies.
- Anticipating, assessing and responding to patient needs to improve or maintain patient status. (with special attention given to patient comfort, modesty and the operation of IV’s, monitors, foley catheter.)
- Provide patient education and alleviate apprehension by explaining ultrasonic procedures and answering questions for patients.
- Employing professional judgment and discretion in order to protect the patient’s rights and privacy.
- Performs all required hospital and department documentation & verification in an accurate and proficient manner to aid in a timely diagnosis and proper billing as well as performs clerical functions to assure proper operations of the Ultrasound department.
- Completes all required documentation in a timely manner.
- Verifies that all patient information & demographics are correct & entered into the scanner via modality worklist. Patient Demographic includes patients name, medical record number, date of birth, requisition number, date, physician and time.
- Verifies physician orders in computer systems (EPIC & RIS) before performing procedures.
- Verifies that all exam images are in PACS/Kinetdxs.
- Tracks patient procedures in computer following RIS protocol and verifies that information is tracked correctly.
- During computer downtime, follows appropriate procedure and completes paperwork when computer resumes function.
- Obtains, reviews and brings together pertinent patient history, physical examination and supporting clinical data to facilitate diagnostic results.
- Contacts physicians or representatives from other departments to coordinate scheduling for invasive ultrasound procedures to ensure continuity in care.
- Associates Degree
- Specify Degree(s): AAS in Radiologic Technology
- 0-2 years of previous job-related experience
- CPR (Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation)
- Registered Diagnostic Medical Sonographer (RDMS)
- Other: Registration within one year of hire in a minimum of one to two specialties of either Abdomen and/or Obstetrics & Gynecology required
- Registration in both Abdomen and Obstetrics & Gynecology preferred.
- Ability to communicate verbally
- Ability to deal calmly and courteously with people
- Ability to deal with stressful situations
- Ability to finish tasks in a timely manner
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions and established procedures
- Ability to function independently and manage own time and work tasks
- Ability to maintain accuracy and consistency
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Ability to organize workflow
- Ability to work as an effective team member
Preferred computer skills
- IDX Radiology
- Microsoft Word
- Net Learning
Sample interview questions
- Why did you choose a career in the sonography?
- What sonography equipment do you have experience working on?
- How do you keep up to date with the latest ultrasound technology and techniques?
- Can you give me examples of the procedures you follow to properly maintain your ultrasound equipment?
- Which area of the body do you specialize in? What interests you most about it?
- What steps do you take to ensure that you properly explain procedures and directions to your patients?
- What methods do you use to make sure that all patients’ records are accurately updated?
- Can you describe a time when your preliminary report on a diagnostic scan was completely wrong? What did you do to improve your skills?
- How would you handle patients who experience anxiety about tests?