What is a Rust Developer?
Rust developers are coders that produce software and systems in the Rust programming language. They complete projects that range from operating systems or web browsers, to blockchain projects, server software, and much more.
These developers may have a wide range of responsibilities depending on what type of assignment they’re handling. What does remain the same is producing consistent and reliable code and ensuring a safe and secure operating environment with the systems and software they create. Additionally, they’ll need to be able to debug, test, and analyze current and previous iterations of software to resolve issues.
While these developers don’t technically need higher education, having a bachelor’s degree in computer science, or a related field puts a candidate in a good position for employment. They will want to have experience with languages like C++, Node.js., React, and more. Possessing great attention to detail and strong analytical skills will set a candidate apart.
Are you a job seeker?
of job openings and
Average Salary and Compensation
Rust developer salaries vary by experience, industry, organization size, and geography. To explore salary ranges by local market, please visit our sister site zengig.com.
The average U.S. salary for a Rust Developer is:
How to Hire a Rust Developer
There are a number of important initial considerations when hiring a rust developer:
- Recruiting: Do you have the knowledge, tools, and resources to attract and screen candidates?
- Complexity: Do you need a senior professional, or will mid or junior-level skills and experience suffice?
- Duration: Are you hiring for a project or an ongoing need?
- Urgency: How soon does the opening need to be filled? What happens while it remains open?
- Headcount: Do you have the budget and approval for an internal employee, or should you consider alternate options?
Answering these questions will help determine the best course of action for your current hiring need. Fortunately, great options exist for every scenario. These are our recommendations:
1. Use 4 Corner Resources (or another professional recruiting firm)
The heavy lifting is done for you when working with a top-tier staffing company like 4 Corner Resources. We source, screen, recruit, and deliver only the most qualified candidate(s), saving you significant time and effort throughout the hiring process while you remain focused on your core business. Understanding your needs and ensuring the right candidate for the position is the key to our success.
This is the best route to take when:
- You need to fill the position quickly
- You want access to a vast talent pool of high-quality, prescreened candidates
- You intend to hire on a temporary, contract, or contract-to-hire basis and direct the work activity
- You are hiring a direct employee but aren’t able to recruit effectively or efficiently with your internal staff
- You aren’t familiar with current salary rates, market trends, and available skill sets
2. Hire an experienced freelancer
The freelance, or gig, economy continues to grow, with more talent available daily. Freelancers provide high-quality work without a long-term commitment. They can offer you a fresh perspective, more flexibility, and increase efficiency. While the freelance market isn’t ideal for every position, rust developers are often a great fit.
We recommend this option when:
- Your need is project-based
- The work can be performed remotely
- You do not intend to direct the daily work activity
- You are hiring for expertise your internal team does not possess
- You do not require an employee to work onsite or follow a specific schedule
We recommend using either Toptal, Upwork, or both.
Toptal is an exclusive network of the top freelance software developers, designers, finance experts, product managers, and project managers in the world. Toptal vets its freelancers before making them accessible, ensuring their legitimacy. Top companies hire Toptal freelancers for their most important projects. Hiring a rust developer on Toptal can help you quickly get the results you need.
Upwork is a freelance talent network that helps individuals connect with experts in a variety of fields to accomplish project-based needs. When you have a specific, well-defined goal in mind, this can be a great path to hiring an experienced rust developer. If you are satisfied with the outcome you can continue to book the same freelancer through Upwork’s easy-to-use project interface.
3. Post the opening on a top job board
Your best option may be to advertise your opening on a proven job board. There are many widely used job sites out there that draw visits from qualified candidates. If you have someone internally who can dedicate the time and energy to sort through applications and screen individuals effectively, this can be a great choice.
We recommend using a job board when:
- Your internal recruiting team has the knowledge and experience to assess candidate qualifications
- You are hiring a direct employee and have time to manage the entire recruiting effort
- You have a process for receiving, screening, and tracking all resumes and applications
- You are prepared to respond to all applicants
There are many career sites out there. Here are the two we recommend for a rust developer opening:
CareerBuilder has been a trusted source for hiring since 1995. Reach 80+ million unique, diverse U.S. job seekers annually by posting your jobs through their talent acquisition channels. Through CareerBuilder, you can engage candidates and drive them into your sourcing pipeline. We recommend using CareerBuilder for hiring when you have the internal resources and processes to review, screen, and reply to all applicants.
LinkedIn is a social network for job seekers, professionals, and businesses. With this popular job site, you can enhance your brand and advertise your open position to a wide audience of motivated, qualified candidates. Job postings on LinkedIn are also extremely streamlined and user-friendly, making it even easier for candidates to apply. Additionally, applicants can use their LinkedIn profile instead of a resume to expedite the process.
4. Leverage your internal resources
You can utilize your own website, social media, and employees to assist in your search for top candidates.
A company website posting should be the first step in notifying prospective candidates that you are hiring. Social media can also be a powerful tool for spreading the word about your new opening. As far as exposure is concerned, this option can be as good as some job boards when you have a large enough following across various platforms, like LinkedIn, Instagram, Facebook, TikTok, and Twitter.
Current employees are every organization’s greatest asset. Encourage your internal team to promote job openings to their network by offering cash and other incentives.
We recommend these options when:
- Your brand has great name recognition
- You can consistently monitor and respond to candidate activity through your website and social media accounts
- You have a process in place to quickly and broadly communicate job openings and requirements
- You have an effective employee referral program in place
If you aren’t sure which path is best, schedule a discovery call today with our seasoned recruiting professionals. The 4 Corner team is on standby to help you find the best option for your unique hiring need.
Sample Job Descriptions
My Cybersecurity client is seeking a Senior Software Engineer with Rust Experience to join their engineering team. This team is responsible for building innovative solutions that protect the world’s most critical infrastructure.
- Work closely within a small team to build features that support their solutions/products
- Develop production code to support new features and bug fixes
- Design and write automated tests that ensures integrity of their software
- 4+ years of software development experience
- Experience with Rust Programming Language
- Experience working in Linux systems programming and networking protocols (deep understanding is a plus)
- Experience with network security is a plus, but not necessary
- Experience with RabbitMQ, Kafka, Apache, or similar
We are seeking a Director of Product Marketing to help usher in the next wave of products and solutions. This is an essential role, not only for marketing, but for business insights, growth as well as developer advocacy. This position is highly visible across ABC Company and the ABC ecosystem and requires candidates with deep interpersonal and communication skills, verbal and written, with experience marketing emerging technology to businesses and developers around the world.
- Build scalable backend systems, services, and APIs
- Design high reliable services that can withstand large fluctuations in traffic
- Benchmark performance, identify performance bottlenecks, and find ways to resolve them
- Write backend code that is fast, reliable, but also highly secure
- Maintain and evolve our quickly-growing test suite
- Collaborate effectively with other staff to solve complex problems
- Minimum of 4 years work experience in a professional software environment
- Work experience with Rust and a solid foundation with C++ or Java
- B.S. in Computer Science, Math, or equivalent professional experience is acceptable
- DevOps knowledge
- Excellent communication skills in conversational and written English
- Passion for joining a fast-paced, early-stage startup
- Ability to write robust, highly efficient, reliable code
- Experience writing multi-threaded applications
- Have deployed software to a production environment
- Familiarity with Linux development and runtime environment
We are in desperate need of hiring more Rust Developers and will speak with anyone who has a year or more of experience with Rust.
What you will be doing
Working within Polkadot Substrate’s latest architecture you will be helping us implement a new consensus engine in Rust. We have an existing consensus engine (Substrate 1.0.5) written in Python to use as a reference. Additionally you will be building tools for our live open source blockchain users such as RESTful API, mining pool, or command-line client. Debugging/fixing issues within our codebase.
What you need for this position
Need To Have
- 4+ years as a developer/engineer (any language)
- Python (2+ years)
Nice To Have
- Polkadot Substrate
- Ability to pick-out SDKs from code base
- REST API
- Experience with Docker images or Mining pools.
Sample Interview Questions
- Can you explain Rust?
- What are the advantages of using Rust?
- How does Rust’s garbage collection work?
- How do you get a command line argument in Rust?
- What are some main features of Rust?
- Does Rust include move constructors?
- How would you write and run a Rust program?
- What string type would you use with Rust?
- Why is Rust a safer option compared to C and C++?
- How do you use Rust’s reusable codes?
- How would you efficiently input a user read file in Rust?
- Rust syntax is similar to which programming language?
- Can you list the platforms supported by Rust?
- How do you install Rust?
- How do you uninstall Rust?
- What is Cargo?
- How do you debug Rust programs?
- Can Rust be used for Android/iOS programming?
- How do you do dynamic Rust library loading?