What Does an Event Coordinator Do?
Event coordinators are responsible for making sure events are successful and painless. They plan and execute events for companies, hotels, and other venues. To accomplish this goal they may be responsible for organizing and overseeing all the details concerning the event, planning items to stay within the established budget parameters, collecting payments in a timely manner, creating and maintaining relationships with vendors and venues, or creating financial reports.
Event coordinators are the glue that holds an event together. Due to this, they have to possess excellent leadership skills. They also need to effectively delegate tasks to team members when needed. A good event coordinator effectively assigns tasks to ensure that all aspects of the event get taken care of in a timely and professional manner.
Are you a job seeker?
of job openings
and apply online
National Average Salary
Event coordinator salaries vary by experience, industry, organization size, and geography. To explore salary ranges by local market, please visit our sister site zengig.com.
The average U.S. salary for an Event Coordinator is:
Event Coordinator Job Descriptions
- Manage and respond to private event inquiries daily, ensuring all inquiries are responded to same day
- Ensure that food and beverage minimums are met
- Manage calendar and customer relationship management (CRM) in Tripleseat and ensure events are appropriately booked to capacity in all rooms
- Send and book event contracts quickly
- Oversee and confirm that all events are executed according to the BEOs and exceed Guest’s expectations
- Respond to complaints or feedback and resolve issues quickly so Guests walk away with a positive outcome
- Manage Guest feedback and team feedback, and work with GM, AD, and RSC Event Support to provide solutions when issues arise
- Create BEOs and ensure they are posted and communicated to the team; Ensure updated BEOs as needed and updates are communicated to team
- Make confirmation calls to Guests, make recommendations, and ensure menus and Guest counts are finalized in a timely manner
- Create and print menus for events daily; Create and print event signage needed; Create floor plans for event
- Create and revise room layouts for each event
- Retrieve any custom event décor, amenities, or services and ensure they are correct and oversee correct setup for events
- Conduct post-event follow-up to ensure Guest’s satisfaction.
- Facilitate and execute monthly Wine Club Events
- Handle any needed miscellaneous support tasks
- Track event finances, including the reconciliation of banquet deposits and final payments
- Keep inventory of banquet materials
- Other duties as assigned
- Must represent Cooper’s Hawk values
- Experience working in high-volume restaurant, banquet, or event operations
- Team-focused; Ability to collaborate across functional teams
- Ability to see big picture combined with willingness to be hands-on
- Commitment to high Guest service standards
- Loves working with people
- Possess outstanding organizational skills and attention to detail
- Excellent, professional interpersonal skills, both in person and by phone
- Excellent written and oral communication skills; Ability to read, understand, and communicate in English
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Self-starter, strong work ethic, adaptable, and open to new ideas
- Neat professional personal appearance
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Excel, Word, PowerPoint) and comfortable learning new systems
- Able to lift and carry up to 40 pounds
- Able to exert fast-paced mobility for periods of up to 6 hours in length
- One year of experience in restaurant venue event or sales role booking, planning, and executing private events
- Preferred certifications include ServSafe and state/local licensing requirements
- College degree, preferred
As an Event Coordinator, you will partner with our Guests to create a tailored and memorable experience based on their needs. You’re also dedicated to delivering the highest standards in safety and sanitation.
- Upholding our cleanliness and safety standards (We take this seriously!)
- Welcoming and engaging with all Guests, all while being an ambassador of FUN
- Understanding all aspects of our event packages, and add-ons
- Selling, scheduling, and coordinating corporate, group, and birthday events (let the FUN begin!)
- Utilizing systems and programs to input sales revenue, guest information, and creating follow up tasks related to the business
- Partnering with the Sales Manager to exceed budgeted birthday, group, and event sales targets, and achieve quarterly sales plans
- Prospecting and cold calling to develop ongoing relationships for new and repeat business
- Supporting local store marketing initiatives to drive walk-in and event sales
- Attending and engaging in weekly sales meetings to share strategic ideas that support the business
- Performing opening, mid-day or closing duties
- Prior food & beverage or retail experience; sales experience a plus
- Guest focused mindset (We heart our Guests!)
- Teamwork is a must (Teamwork makes the dream work!)
- Relationship building (very important!)
- Proficient in software such as; Excel, Microsoft Office and CRM
- Can effectively communicate with Management, Team Members, and Guests
- Availability to work days, nights and/or weekends and holidays
What you will do
- Manage all client talent for workshops, podcasts, and programs
- Find and recruit rising talent within the industry
- Provide general administrative duties
- Schedule and perform interviews with potential talent
- Coordinate transportation, hotel stays and assist with any other needs
- Liaison and communicate between the company and talent for all projects
- Assist with special projects and tasks as assigned
- Evaluate potential problems and develop solutions
- Create systems and manage all talent, reservations, and schedules
- Monitor talent and handle any issues that arise
- Thrive under ambiguity and juggle multiple projects at once
- Coordinate with other members of the team
- Represent our brand by utilizing best practices
- Thoroughly assist all talent beginning at any pre-arrival communication to follow-up after departure
What we value
- Exceptional interpersonal skills capable of maintaining strong relationships
- Exceptional customer service based communication skills, both verbal and written
- Strong organizational and multitasking skills
- Problem-solving abilities and able to adapt quickly and under pressure
- Must be even-tempered and able to interact well under pressure
- Must be able to successfully prioritize multiple tasks with attention to detail
- Must be dependable, positive, open-minded, and possess strong presentation skills
- Independent and self-directed work ethic when participating in a collaborative and remote work environment
- Schedule flexibility to work weekends and/or holidays when requested
- Knowledge of the Network Marketing profession, but not building their own Network Marketing business
- Experience in entertainment booking or event planning
- Bilingual (Spanish is preferred)
Sample Interview Questions
- What are the necessary skills an event coordinator must possess?
- What are your preferred event software and/or tools?
- How do you go about keeping up with industry trends and news?
- What methods do you use to manage event promotions?
- How do you measure the success of your event?
- What event planning experience that you participated in are you the proudest of?
- How do you manage your event budget? Have you ever had an event go over budget? How did you handle it?
- Have you ever had to negotiate prices with a vendor, venue, or supplier?
- In your opinion, what is the most stressful part of the event planning process?
- How do you prepare for the kickoff meeting when planning a new event?
- Have you ever had to plan more than 1 event at a time? How successful were the events?
- What tricks do you use to ensure you meet strict deadlines?
- What is your process for handling last-minute setbacks before and during events?
- How do you make the best of the situation when things go wrong with an event?
- What process do you use to choose a venue for an event?
- Have you ever had to work for a very demanding client? How did you handle it?
- Which types of events are your favorite to plan?
- What inspired you to choose a career in event planning?
- Tell me about a time you came up with a creative solution for a problem.
- What organizational tools do you prefer?
- What marketing techniques do you use to promote events?