What Does an Insurance Adjuster Do?
An insurance adjuster evaluates insurance claims and determines how much compensation should be paid to policyholders. A claim adjuster’s primary responsibility is to investigate and assess damages or losses covered by an insurance policy and to negotiate settlements.
An insurance adjuster may work for a company, for a firm that specializes in adjusting claims, or they may be self-employed. Inspections of damaged property are usually conducted on site, witnesses are interviewed, police reports and medical records are reviewed, and losses are assessed. Based on this information, they determine how much compensation should be paid to the policyholder. Using their knowledge of insurance policies, investigative skills, and negotiation expertise, adjusters evaluate insurance claims and negotiate settlements that are fair to both the insurance company and the policyholder.
Are you a job seeker?
of job openings
and apply online
National Average Salary
Insurance adjuster salaries vary by experience, industry, organization size, and geography. To explore salary ranges by local market, please visit our sister site zengig.com.
The average U.S. salary for an Insurance Adjuster is:
Insurance Adjuster Job Descriptions
It’s important to include the right content in your job description when hiring an insurance adjuster. The following examples can serve as templates for attracting the best available talent for your team.
Sample Interview Questions
- What is your experience dealing with insurance claims and working with policyholders?
- What are your methods for investigating and settling claims quickly and efficiently?
- What is your process for assessing damages or losses covered by insurance?
- In the claims process, how do you communicate with policyholders and other professionals?
- Have you ever dealt with an insurance claim that was particularly challenging? What did you do to resolve the problem?
- How do you keep up with changes in the insurance industry and insurance regulations?
- How do you negotiate settlements with claimants?
- What procedures do you use to ensure that all claims are evaluated fairly and accurately?
- Do you have any experience working with different types of insurance policies (such as home, auto, life, etc.)?
- When a claimant disputes your assessment of damages or loss, what do you do?