An insurance adjuster determines how much money to administer in a case. These professionals investigate insurance claims by reading police reports, traveling to site locations such as homes, offices, and cars to look at the damages up close, as well as meeting with witnesses and the policyholder to ascertain the amount of money to be paid out. Their goal is to ensure all parties involved are compensated appropriately and held responsibly.
Insurance adjusters may work for insurance companies or as external contractors. After all the information from a claim is assessed, they will determine if the insurance policies cover the damage and calculate payments accordingly. Insurance adjusters should be patient and professional, have great interpersonal skills, and have experience writing reports.
Sample job description #1
About the role
We’re looking for an ambitious and self-motivated individual who is interested in helping ABC Company deliver a world-class claims experience. As a Claims Adjuster, you will own the day-to-day responsibilities of processing claims that occur at ABC Company. You will also work closely with internal and external stakeholders to set a new standard for claims resolution.
If you are a motivated individual who likes a high degree of autonomy, the opportunity to join a fast-growing startup, and the chance to provide excellent customer excellence and make an impact in the claims process, this role is for you!
What you’ll do
- Prepare subrogation demands to submit to the appropriate party
- Utilize multiple mediums to communicate with key stakeholders
- Maintain clear and concise diary notes to manage files in a timely manner
- Create and monitor payment arrangements for customers when necessary
- File claims with a collections agency when appropriate
- Process refunds to customers when applicable
- Work cross functionally with Finance, Vehicle Operations, Markets and other teams as applicable
- Minimum 2+ years of experience in claims handling or collections, including claims terminology
- Excellent customer service skills through verbal and written communication
- Ability to adapt to new processes and policies on an individual and team basis
- Strong organizational, file and time management skills
- Basic computer knowledge
- Exposure to working in a task-based claims system
- Prior knowledge of reviewing and discussing line-item estimates
- Experience working in a fast-paced startup environment
Attributes that we look for, and that match the team you will be joining
- Passion: You strive to love what you do and are highly self-motivated to achieve your goals.
- Ambition: You are ridiculously ambitious and want to get the most out of your life.
- Curiosity: You’re the kind of person who wants to know how everything works. You love to learn new things every day and are always thinking about ways to improve.
- Hustle: You go above and beyond and put the pedal to the metal to get things done with your results-driven attitude.
- Data: You like to work analytically and make data-informed decisions.
- Social: You have the ability to build relationships quickly with your outgoing and confident personality.
- Creative: You are creative in finding solutions for your challenges.
- Humility: You know that you’re part of a community that’s building something awesome and are willing to seek help or guidance when necessary.
- Organization: You’re not easily overwhelmed because you have the organizational skills to juggle multiple tasks.
Sample job description #2
As a member of the Field Property Claims Team, you will play a vital role in providing an outstanding customer experience by using your investigative and negotiation skills to resolve a variety of homeowner claims in a fast paced, detail-oriented, team environment. In this role, you will travel to the loss site to conduct thorough analysis. Every day is a new exciting challenge, as our Field Property Claims Adjusters use cutting edge homeowner’s products and services to help our customers through the claims process.
In this role, you will:
- Investigate and determine coverage onsite of loss and adjusts all elements of Property Loss claims of moderate-high severity.
- Handle moderate- severe complexity claims assigned under little supervision.
- Investigate and evaluate onsite to resolve complex coverage and damage issues to include preparing complete estimates of repair for the covered damages.
- Explain coverage of loss, assists policyholders with itemization of damages, emergency repairs and additional living arrangements.
- Works with and may coordinate a number of vendor services such as contractors, emergency repair, cleaning services and various replacement services.
- Identify suspicious losses. Recommend referral to SIU where appropriate and may assist the SIU in their investigation and settling of the claim.
- May be called upon for catastrophe duty.
This role might be for you if you have:
- Working knowledge of claims handling procedures and operations.
- Demonstrated understanding of building construction principles.
- Proven ability to provide exceptional customer service.
- Effective negotiation skills.
- Ability to effectively and independently manage workload while exhibiting good judgment.
- Strong written/oral communication and interpersonal skills.
- Computer skills with the ability to work with multi-faceted systems and analytical skills.
- The capabilities, skills and knowledge required is normally acquired through bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience and at least 1 year of directly related experience.
- Ability to obtain proper licensing as required.
Sample job description #3
What you will be doing at ABC Company
- Gathering and evaluating complex coverage information, taking recorded statements, securing police reports, repair estimates and other related documents.
- Conduct electronic and telephonic investigation along with assigning field appraisers to assist with investigations as well as handle non-attorney represented injury claims.
- Evaluating property damage and Bodily Injury, determining coverage and liability. Negotiating and settling Bodily Injury and liability claims.
- Ensure legal compliance by following guidelines, company policies, and state and federal insurance regulations.
- Initiate investigation of claims involving complex coverage claims, complex liability, and/or bodily injury claims (non-attorney represented), as well as questionable claims.
- Resolve claim by approving or denying documentation; calculating benefit due; initiating payment or composing denial letter.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- 2 or more years of experience in Auto Insurance as a Claims Adjuster is required.
- Prior experience interpreting policy language and state statutes is required.
- Proven track record of making sound coverage and liability decisions.
- Experience handling minor to moderate complexity claims.
- A valid State Adjuster License where required.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) preferred.
Other skills and abilities
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Ability to manage own time while prioritizing multiple tasks
- Ability to remain calm when dealing with difficult customers
- Effective negotiating skills
- Ability to gather and analyze information in order to evaluate results and choose the best solution to the problem.
Required behaviors for all positions
- Communicate with co-workers, management, customers, vendors, and others in a courteous and professional manner
- Conform with and abide by all Company codes, regulations, policies, values, work procedures and instructions
Sample interview questions
- How would you deal with a hostile client who is unsatisfied with your assessment of the damage?
- How do you ensure accuracy in your work before submitting it?
- Describe a situation where you missed critical information in your appraisal. How did you rectify it?
- What is your approach to managing stress?
- How do you feel about working on Sunday, or inspecting a site of an accident in the middle of the night?
- If a customer gets into an auto accident and you assess that they will need a repair on part of their car, but they want the part to be replaced entirely, how do you handle this situation?
- An auto shop disputes your estimate of their labor hours. How do you handle this situation?
- A claimant requires an assessment of his house that was damaged in a fire. List as many information sources you would turn to to produce your report. How many can you list?
- Describe creative approaches to inspecting a complicated case. What did you do?