What Does a Pharmacist Do?
As healthcare professionals, pharmacists dispense medications to patients, provide information about the proper use of medications, and monitor the safety and efficacy of the drugs prescribed to patients. They can be found in hospitals, clinics, retail pharmacies, and long-term care facilities. Pharmacists work closely with doctors and other healthcare professionals to ensure that patients receive the right medication and dosage for their medical conditions.
Pharmacists must hold a Doctor of Pharmacy (Pharm.D.) degree, which usually takes four years to complete. A license is also required in order to practice in their state, which usually involves passing an examination and completing continuing education courses. Successful pharmacists must be well-versed in the effects of medications on the body, their side effects, and how they interact with other medications. It is also essential that they have excellent communication skills since they often provide advice and counseling to patients regarding medications.
Are you a job seeker?
of job openings
and apply online
National Average Salary
Pharmacist salaries vary by experience, industry, organization size, and geography. To explore salary ranges by local market, please visit our sister site zengig.com.
The average U.S. salary for a Pharmacist is:
Pharmacist Job Descriptions
When it comes to recruiting a pharmacist, having the right job description can make a big difference. Here are some real world job descriptions you can use as templates for your next opening.
A pharmacist is an important healthcare professional who specializes in medication. They are responsible for preparing and giving out medications to patients. This entails accurately measuring medication doses, preventing dangerous drug interactions, and informing patients on safe ways to use their medications. Pharmacists need to be experts in their field, so anyone interested in becoming a pharmacist must earn a Pharm.D. to practice. [Your Company Name] is looking for an experienced pharmacist that has the proper education and knowledge of the industry that will allow them to flourish in this role. If you pay good attention to detail and have a strong desire to work with patients to keep them safe, then we would love to have you on our team as our pharmacist!
Typical duties and responsibilities
- Review prescriptions to assure accuracy, to ascertain the needed ingredients, and to evaluate their suitability
- Provide information and advice regarding drug interactions, side effects, dosage, and proper medication storage
- Plan, implement or maintain procedures for mixing, packaging, or labeling pharmaceuticals, according to policy and legal requirements, to ensure quality, security, and proper disposal
- Collaborate with other health care professionals to plan, monitor, review, or evaluate the quality or effectiveness of drugs or drug regimens, providing advice on drug applications or characteristics
- Manage pharmacy operations, including hiring or supervising staff, performing administrative duties, and buying or selling non-pharmaceutical merchandise
- Contact insurance companies to resolve billing issues
- Compound and dispense medications as prescribed by doctors and dentists, by calculating, weighing, measuring, and mixing ingredients, or overseeing these activities
Education and experience
A master’s degree in pharmacy is required; Pharm.D. is preferred. A pharmacist needs a current state license, which requires passing two exams.
Required skills and qualifications
- Thorough understanding of dosage administration and measurement, chemical compounds, medical brands, etc.
- Excellent verbal communication and customer-service skills
- Strong understanding of the major pharmaceutical computer software platforms
- Enhanced problem-solving and critical thinking skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- 2+ years of working experience in a pharmacy setting
- Values teamwork and demonstrates a positive attitude, good work ethic, and sound clinical acumen
- Able to remain organized, analytical, and detail-oriented
We are looking for a competent Pharmacist/Pharmacist-in-charge who will ensure the rational and effective use of medication. You must be a team player and an excellent communicator. Dependability and diligence will make you an integral part of direct patient care. The goal is to provide effective medication management for the correct treatment and prevention of illness.
- Review records of patients to determine the appropriateness of medication therapy
- Evaluate patient’s condition to ensure all issues are being treated
- Identify untreated health problems and refer patients to appropriate physicians
- Develop effective medication plans that minimize the risk of adverse side-effects
- Consult on dosages, medication substances etc.
- Advise on the correct administration of drugs
- Assess the results of pharmaceutical treatments
- Collaborate with healthcare professionals to ensure optimal patient care
- Keep accurate documentation of medication plans and patient progress
- Freshly graduate with learning skill can apply too
- Excellent understanding of pharmaceutical therapy and direct patient care
- Solid knowledge of drug administration and health & safety guidelines
- Working knowledge of computers
- Team player with outstanding communication skills (verbal and written)
- Aptitude in problem-solving and decision-making
- Strong professional ethics
- Degree in Pharmacy/Pharmacology
- Pharmacists shall be in-store at all times during their scheduled shift to allow for dispensation of cannabis products
- Responsible for securing coverage for any time off (paid time off or unpaid time off). Schedule changes shall be communicated with dispensary managers in advance and expected to follow fair scheduling practices
- Assess patient certification to monitor for restrictions and where appropriate help patients to determine best course of treatment
- Drive retail sales and patient retention
- Ensure compliance with all company policies and procedures and federal and state laws
- Communicate restrictions with dispensary team to ensure any limitations on product selection/quantity
- Provide timely and accurate medication information to patients over the phone and in-person
- Educate new and existing patients about the properties and benefits of cannabis
- Consults patients and assesses patient’s certification to recommend best course of treatment
- Responsible to stay up to date on current research and information related to cannabis/marijuana
- Pharmacists may assist with additional dispensary tasks, as store manager deems fit. These include but are not limited to accepting product deliveries, returns, inventory controls, employee trainings, fulfilling online orders, and completing patient orders at the registers
- Other duties as assigned
- Must be a registered and licensed Pharmacist in good standing with the state of operations
- 2+ years of relevant pharmacy experience with an excellent patient and customer focused approach
- Ability to learn and understand cannabinoids and how they interact with the human body
- Previous experience utilizing Point of Sale technology systems.
- Working knowledge of inventory and sales reporting
- Highly motivated, self-directed, innovative, and able to work independently or among teams with keen judgement, common sense, and resourcefulness
- Adapts and thrives in a demanding, fast-paced environment
- Possesses a high level of critical thinking
- Operates with a high level of professionalism and integrity, including dealing with confidential information
- Must understand and comply with the rules, regulations, policies, and procedures of Green Thumb
- Must have a solid understanding of the Cannabis laws, rules and regulations and passion to further their understanding and knowledge of the industry and the laws
- Must pass any and all required background checks
- Must be and remain compliant with all legal or company regulations for working in the industry
- Must possess valid driver’s license
- Must be a minimum of 21 years of age
- Must be approved by state badging agency to work in cannabis industry
Company ABC is seeking a Pharmacist to help us build a next-generation pharmacy made for a world where you prefer to interact digitally and one where the health system finally puts everybody on the same team. You will set the standard for our exceptional end-to-end customer experience.
- Master our internal systems: develop full operational knowledge and understanding of the pharmacy and manage internal and external pharmacy operations
- Work well in a team environment in the fulfillment of prescription orders: processing, filling, managing pharmacy technicians, inventory management and ordering, customer inquiries, managing insurance company and doctor office relationships
- Effectively communicate with doctors offices, pharmacies, and insurers to fulfill prescription orders
- Partner with other pharmacy technicians and pharmacists to create a seamless experience for each customer in a constantly changing pharmacy workflow
- Coordinate with our in-house team of couriers to package, manage, and track deliveries in a timely manner
- Counseling and providing drug-related information for prescription and over-the-counter items to customers
- You take pride in enabling the best work of others on the team. You think ahead to anticipate the needs of your teammates and you give and get all the facts making it easy for others to make decisions
- You drive results in a way that makes everyone better. You accomplish ambitious objectives while uplifting the team around you. You’re a magnet for team members looking to get better and be successful
- You work hard and want to have fun while you do so. You celebrate wins and remember to enjoy the journey as we build something iconic
- You can work both fast and right and don’t view them as trade-offs. You understand when things require precision and accuracy and where 80% gets you to the desired outcome
- You thrive on being pushed and challenged. You communicate effectively both in written form and live/on your feet – you are not fazed by tough questions in the moment
- You strike the right balance of putting enough work in to share something, but not going off into a corner for weeks at a time to polish something to perfection
- You operate like an owner & expect others to as well. You take personal responsibility and value personal responsibility in others
- You check your ego at the door. You are interested in finding the right answer vs. always having the right answer
- You have minimum 1-2+ years of relevant pharmacy work experience: prescription processing, inventory management, customer inquiries, managing a pharmacy, managing insurance company and doctor office relationships
- You have a valid Pharmacist License in the State
- You’re relentlessly resourceful, optimistic, creative problem-solver
- You’re a team player who loves to take care of the people around them
- You’re aggressively organized, multi-tasking master
- You have a strong passion for helping people with all pharmacy-related problems
- You possess emotional intuition for building a great consumer experiences with the analytical rigor to surface meaningful qualitative and quantitative changes to pharmacy processes
- Ability to be flexible based on pharmacy operating hours
Candidate Certifications to Look For
- Pharmacy Compounding Accreditation (ACHC). The Pharmacy Compounding Accreditation Board supports the Pharmacy Compounding Accreditation from ACHC, making it valuable to earn as an experienced pharmacist. This certification teaches pharmacists how to make and provide customized medications when other conventional options aren’t working. This could include changing doses to include children or removing an ingredient a patient is allergic to, so they can still take their medication. Being introduced to compounding pharmacy is a great way to advance as an experienced pharmacist, making this certification valuable to earn.
- Point of Care Testing (POCT). The point-of-care testing certification is a great opportunity for any community pharmacist looking to make more money. This certification teaches pharmacists how to perform a variety of diagnostic tests outside of a lab that will produce fast and accurate results. If pharmacists choose to earn the POCT certification, they could charge patients directly for the tests they offer. This certification will expand patient care service while helping pharmacists make more money along the way.
Sample Interview Questions
- What qualities and skills do you think make a successful pharmacist, based on your pharmacy experience?
- How do you stay up-to-date on the latest developments in the pharmacy field, including the latest medications, potential side effects, and drug interactions?
- What are your strategies for working with other healthcare providers to ensure that patients receive the right medications and dosages depending on their medical conditions?
- Describe a time when you dealt with a difficult patient or situation and how you managed to resolve it successfully while maintaining a positive relationship.
- What strategies do you use to communicate complex medical information to patients in an easy-to-understand manner, and how do you ensure that you are providing accurate and effective advice and counseling?
- When it comes to your work as a pharmacist, how do you ensure compliance with all relevant laws, regulations, and ethical standards?
- Tell me about your experience using pharmacy technology, such as electronic prescribing systems and medication management software.
- How do you manage your workload and prioritize your tasks to remain productive while meeting your patients’ needs?
- When faced with a difficult decision regarding a patient’s medication, how did you approach it?
- Are you familiar with managing pharmacy inventory and ensuring medications are available when they are needed while minimizing waste and excess inventory?