What Does a Pharmacist Do?
Most pharmacists work in pharmacies and drugstores, but clinics and hospitals also employ in-house pharmacists to dispense medications directly to patients. Healthcare workers often rely on pharmacists’ specialized expertise to help select and administer proper medications. Pharmacists may participate in patient rounds in hospitals, conduct clinical trials or research, help reduce the spread of disease, or focus on a specific health condition (e.g., asthma, diabetes, HIV, pain management).
A pharmacist is often the most accessible health care professional available to the general public, as most people in this country live within 2 miles of a pharmacy. Patients often consult with pharmacists about the safe and appropriate use of medications — both prescribed and over-the-counter. Pharmacists play a vital role in helping people recover from illnesses and stay healthy.
Are you a job seeker?
of job openings
and apply online
National Average Salary
Pharmacist salaries vary by experience, industry, organization size, and geography. To explore salary ranges by local market, please visit our sister site zengig.com.
The average U.S. salary for a Pharmacist is:
Pharmacist Job Descriptions
We are looking for a competent Pharmacist/Pharmacist-in-charge who will ensure the rational and effective use of medication. You must be a team player and an excellent communicator. Dependability and diligence will make you an integral part of direct patient care. The goal is to provide effective medication management for the correct treatment and prevention of illness.
- Review records of patients to determine the appropriateness of medication therapy
- Evaluate patient’s condition to ensure all issues are being treated
- Identify untreated health problems and refer patients to appropriate physicians
- Develop effective medication plans that minimize the risk of adverse side-effects
- Consult on dosages, medication substances etc.
- Advise on the correct administration of drugs
- Assess the results of pharmaceutical treatments
- Collaborate with healthcare professionals to ensure optimal patient care
- Keep accurate documentation of medication plans and patient progress
- Freshly graduate with learning skill can apply too
- Excellent understanding of pharmaceutical therapy and direct patient care
- Solid knowledge of drug administration and health & safety guidelines
- Working knowledge of computers
- Team player with outstanding communication skills (verbal and written)
- Aptitude in problem-solving and decision-making
- Strong professional ethics
- Degree in Pharmacy/Pharmacology
- Pharmacists shall be in-store at all times during their scheduled shift to allow for dispensation of cannabis products
- Responsible for securing coverage for any time off (paid time off or unpaid time off). Schedule changes shall be communicated with dispensary managers in advance and expected to follow fair scheduling practices
- Assess patient certification to monitor for restrictions and where appropriate help patients to determine best course of treatment
- Drive retail sales and patient retention
- Ensure compliance with all company policies and procedures and federal and state laws
- Communicate restrictions with dispensary team to ensure any limitations on product selection/quantity
- Provide timely and accurate medication information to patients over the phone and in-person
- Educate new and existing patients about the properties and benefits of cannabis
- Consults patients and assesses patient’s certification to recommend best course of treatment
- Responsible to stay up to date on current research and information related to cannabis/marijuana
- Pharmacists may assist with additional dispensary tasks, as store manager deems fit. These include but are not limited to accepting product deliveries, returns, inventory controls, employee trainings, fulfilling online orders, and completing patient orders at the registers
- Other duties as assigned
- Must be a registered and licensed Pharmacist in good standing with the state of operations
- 2+ years of relevant pharmacy experience with an excellent patient and customer focused approach
- Ability to learn and understand cannabinoids and how they interact with the human body
- Previous experience utilizing Point of Sale technology systems.
- Working knowledge of inventory and sales reporting
- Highly motivated, self-directed, innovative, and able to work independently or among teams with keen judgement, common sense, and resourcefulness
- Adapts and thrives in a demanding, fast-paced environment
- Possesses a high level of critical thinking
- Operates with a high level of professionalism and integrity, including dealing with confidential information
- Must understand and comply with the rules, regulations, policies, and procedures of Green Thumb
- Must have a solid understanding of the Cannabis laws, rules and regulations and passion to further their understanding and knowledge of the industry and the laws
- Must pass any and all required background checks
- Must be and remain compliant with all legal or company regulations for working in the industry
- Must possess valid driver’s license
- Must be a minimum of 21 years of age
- Must be approved by state badging agency to work in cannabis industry
Company ABC is seeking a Pharmacist to help us build a next-generation pharmacy made for a world where you prefer to interact digitally and one where the health system finally puts everybody on the same team. You will set the standard for our exceptional end-to-end customer experience.
- Master our internal systems: develop full operational knowledge and understanding of the pharmacy and manage internal and external pharmacy operations
- Work well in a team environment in the fulfillment of prescription orders: processing, filling, managing pharmacy technicians, inventory management and ordering, customer inquiries, managing insurance company and doctor office relationships
- Effectively communicate with doctors offices, pharmacies, and insurers to fulfill prescription orders
- Partner with other pharmacy technicians and pharmacists to create a seamless experience for each customer in a constantly changing pharmacy workflow
- Coordinate with our in-house team of couriers to package, manage, and track deliveries in a timely manner
- Counseling and providing drug-related information for prescription and over-the-counter items to customers
- You take pride in enabling the best work of others on the team. You think ahead to anticipate the needs of your teammates and you give and get all the facts making it easy for others to make decisions
- You drive results in a way that makes everyone better. You accomplish ambitious objectives while uplifting the team around you. You’re a magnet for team members looking to get better and be successful
- You work hard and want to have fun while you do so. You celebrate wins and remember to enjoy the journey as we build something iconic
- You can work both fast and right and don’t view them as trade-offs. You understand when things require precision and accuracy and where 80% gets you to the desired outcome
- You thrive on being pushed and challenged. You communicate effectively both in written form and live/on your feet – you are not fazed by tough questions in the moment
- You strike the right balance of putting enough work in to share something, but not going off into a corner for weeks at a time to polish something to perfection
- You operate like an owner & expect others to as well. You take personal responsibility and value personal responsibility in others
- You check your ego at the door. You are interested in finding the right answer vs. always having the right answer
- You have minimum 1-2+ years of relevant pharmacy work experience: prescription processing, inventory management, customer inquiries, managing a pharmacy, managing insurance company and doctor office relationships
- You have a valid Pharmacist License in the State
- You’re relentlessly resourceful, optimistic, creative problem-solver
- You’re a team player who loves to take care of the people around them
- You’re aggressively organized, multi-tasking master
- You have a strong passion for helping people with all pharmacy-related problems
- You possess emotional intuition for building a great consumer experiences with the analytical rigor to surface meaningful qualitative and quantitative changes to pharmacy processes
- Ability to be flexible based on pharmacy operating hours
Sample Interview Questions
- Why did you become a pharmacist?
- What do you like most about pharmacy?
- What do you like least about pharmacy?
- What is your biggest challenge as a pharmacist?
- What traits do you possess that help make you a good pharmacist?
- What would you do if a patient couldn’t afford their medication?
- How would you hire a new pharmacy technician?
- How do you inform patients about the medications they’re taking?
- What do you do to make sure you stay up-to-date on new medications?
- What do you do when a patient asks you about a medication you’re not familiar with?
- What do you believe is the biggest problem that the pharmacy community is facing?
- Tell me about a time you made a mistake at work. How did you resolve it?
- How do you determine drug-seeking behavior? What do you do when you suspect someone is abusing drugs?
- How much experience do you have with administering vaccines?
- Is your pharmacy license current?
- What would you do if a pharmacy technician disagreed with you on a specific decision?
- Describe a time you quickly jumped to a conclusion you were wrong about
- What would you do if an opioid medication was missing during an inventory check?