Massage therapists are responsible for providing relaxation or treatment of body pain and discomfort to clients through physical touch. They are typically employed at massage clinics and spas, and maintain knowledge of the human anatomy and musculoskeletal systems in order to effectively target points of tension and ease the symptoms of physical stress on a client’s body. A massage therapist uses different amounts of pressure as a way to improve circulation and target certain muscles.
Along with the physical strength to apply deep pressure, massage therapists also need good self-awareness and control for a more delicate touch when necessary. A great massage therapist is intuitive and perceptive, and is willing to build friendly professional relationships with clients to better understand their preferences.
Sample job description #1
We are looking for a Massage Therapist who is passionate about healing. You should be familiar with various massage services that can help reduce pain and stress, such as Deep Tissue, Swedish, Sports massage. Our ideal candidate must be able to make a client feel comfortable and encourage them to return for additional treatment. To apply for this position, you must have Massage Therapist certification and state licensure.
Duties and responsibilities
- Provide various types of massage services
- Develop treatment plans
- Ensure client comfort
- Recommend complimentary products
Requirements and qualifications
- Completion of a post-secondary training program in massage therapy
- State licensure
- Ability to be discreet with client information
- Ability to stand for long periods
- Manual dexterity
- Background in Cupping, Hot Stone Massage, Prenatal Massage, and familiarity with Magnesium and CBD a plus
Sample job description #2
As an ABC Company Massage Therapist, you would be responsible for performing massages and/or body treatments for guests in the hotel’s continuing effort to deliver outstanding guest service. Specifically, you would be responsible for performing the following tasks to the highest standards:
- Perform massage and/or body treatments
- Extend superior guest service
- Greet and orient guests to the spa and fitness center
- Ensure a high level of product knowledge of eforea spa products and services
- Maintain cleanliness of work area and spa supplies and products
- Perform general spa duties, as needed
In addition, we look for the demonstration of the following key attributes:
- Customer Focus
Sample job description #3
Responsibilities and duties
- Provides a comfortable and relaxing environment for all guests.
- Knowledgeable on all services provided and must execute each service in a professional and efficient manner.
- Maintains a professional demeanor throughout the service to include the introduction, service and post service.
- Customizes treatments based on guests needs.
- Suggests to guests other beneficial treatments offered in the spa.
- Understands the ingredients in products and can explain their benefits to the guests.
- Answers guest’s questions in a knowledgeable and professional manner.
- Understands and uses universal precautions when providing services. Assesses contraindications of guest that may prevent service from taking place.
- Maintains the highest level of product knowledge and has complete knowledge of all spa services presently offered.
- Recommends products for home.
- Performs all treatments on services’ menu based on current certifications.
- Begins and ends all treatments on time.
- Works assigned schedule.
- Ensures that work areas are clean and set according to procedures.
- Informs the Lead Therapist and/or Spa Director of product needs.
- Creates and maintains client cards with treatment notes, when appropriate.
- Attends all scheduled meetings.
- Attends schedules professional trainings.
- Completes other duties assigned by the Lead Therapist and/or Spa Director.
- Cleans and disinfects all equipment on a daily basis.
- Assists staff with lifting and storing facility equipment, furniture, and products to help maintain facility and prepare for special events.
- Reports any incident or accident to the Lead Therapist and/or the Spa Director.
- Completes all assigned side work.
- Performs other hotel duties as assigned
- Ability to stand on feet the majority of the work day.
- Ability to explain various treatments/services to guests.
- Excellent customer service skills and work ethic.
- Efficient, well organized, and able to handle a variety of duties simultaneously.
- Energetic, enthusiastic and motivational.
- Must be able to portray a professional manner, discretion, and appearance.
- Excellent verbal and written skills.
- Strong team player.
- Must be comfortable with product recommendation.
- Must be aware of body mechanics in order to prevent injury.
- Any combination of education and experience equivalent to graduation from high school or any other combination of education, training or experience that provides the required knowledge of skills and abilities.
- Previous massage experience preferred. Ability to lift a minimum of 25lbs. required.
Sample interview questions
- What made you want to be a massage therapist?
- What formal training do you have in massage therapy?
- What massage techniques have you studied?
- What is your general philosophy about how healing and massage work together?
- What types of massages techniques are you most proficient in?
- How many massages can you comfortably do back to back?
- What do you enjoy most about being a massage therapist?
- How do you interact with your clients during massages?
- Describe what you might do during a new client assessment.
- How would you handle a client who makes an inappropriate comment during a massage?