WordPress Developers design, implement and manage websites using WordPress, a free, open-source content management system (CMS). They are responsible for both front-end and back-end development — everything from plug-ins to security updates. WordPress Developers establish and guide website architecture, so sites are attractive and user-friendly. They are responsible for WordPress training as well as troubleshooting and resolving website problems for clients and co-workers. WordPress Developers can work for many industries, including graphic design agencies, marketing firms, and computer systems design firms.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities
- Design, implement and manage websites using WordPress
- Collaborate with members of a creative team
- Manage front-end and back-end website development
- Create WordPress plug-ins and themes
- Maintain well-documented, reusable, and transferrable code
- Troubleshoot and resolve website problems for clients and co-workers
- Stay abreast of new developments in software, trends, and practices
Education and Background
This position requires an associate or bachelor’s degree, preferably in computer programming, computer science, or a related field. Employers look for job candidates with extensive WordPress experience.
Skills and Competencies
- Proficiency using WordPress
- Experience using debugging tools such as Firebug and Chrome Inspector
- Strong understanding of front-end and back-end website development
- Keen attention to detail
According to Payscale the median annual salary of a Web Developer with
1 Year of Experience:
- Orlando, Florida: $97,000
- Tampa, Florida: $95,000
- Jacksonville, Florida: $107,000
- Miami, Florida: $88,000
- Atlanta, Georgia: $105,000
- Chicago, Illinois: $100,000
- Houston, Texas: $100,000
- Los Angeles, California: $101,000
- New York City, New York: $100,000
- Seattle, Washington: $100,000
- Overall: $101,000
5 Years of Experience:
- Orlando, Florida: $110,000
- Tampa, Florida: $99,000
- Jacksonville, Florida: $114,000
- Miami, Florida: $104,000
- Atlanta, Georgia: $112,000
- Chicago, Illinois: $114,000
- Houston, Texas: $114,000
- Los Angeles, California: $115,000
- New York City, New York: $115,000
- Seattle, Washington: $114,000
- Overall: $113,000
- Front-end Developer
- Back-end Developer
- Software Engineer
- Software Consultant
- WordPress Specialist
- WordPress Expert
WordPress Developers typically enter the field with an associate degree. More technical roles can require a four-year degree, preferably in computer programing or a related field. A background in WordPress is necessary, but some candidates with web programming certification can qualify.
According to the industry website Torque, one trend that will affect all web developers in the near future is the expansion of chatbots, which are becoming more “human-like” every day. Voice search is also quickly gaining traction as a staple technology for both business and personal purposes. Blockchain technology is becoming particularly prevalent in financial sectors; it will doubtless also influence plug-in development and content monetization for WordPress sites.
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, the number of web development jobs is expected to grow by 13 percent by 2028.
The typical work hours for a WordPress Developer are from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. in an office setting.
Where You Can Find Jobs
- 4 Corner Resources
- Career Builder
Are You Interested in Becoming a WordPress Developer?
We will connect you to one of our headhunters or recruiters to see if you are a perfect fit for one of our job openings. If a job opening does not suit you, we will always keep you in mind as new positions open up. We have vast experience connecting professionals with some of the most well-known organizations in the country. Your next job or career path can be right around the corner. Check out our latest job openings and our blog for career advice.
Feel free to contact us at any time.