Information Technology (IT) Directors/Managers work to plan, coordinate, and direct computer-related activities within an organization. They outline information technology objectives for an organization and work to implement hardware and software systems to meet those objectives. IT Directors/Managers are also responsible for collaborating with and overseeing other personnel to achieve business objectives.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage, direct and oversee the personnel, policies, and procedures within the IT department
- Analyze an organization’s information technology needs
- Develop strategies concerning an organization’s IT capabilities
- Make recommendations to optimize an organization’s software and hardware systems
- Identify, develop and implement IT strategies to meet business objectives
- Ensure IT systems are functioning effectively within the cost and time limits of an organization
- Negotiate with vendors for the highest level of service
Education and Background
This position requires a bachelor’s degree in computer science, information technology, or a related field. A master’s degree in a related field is also preferred, as is extensive professional experience.
Skills and Competencies
- Awareness of current IT technologies and methodologies
- Expertise in critical thinking, problem-solving, and decision-making
- Negotiation experience
- Proficiency in written and verbal communication
- Ability to lead colleagues to meet objectives and manage projects
- Ability to understand business needs and identify areas for optimization
According to Payscale the median annual salary of an Information Technology Director/Manager with
1 Year of Experience:
- Orlando, Florida: $78,000
- Tampa, Florida: $80,000
- Jacksonville, Florida: $77,000
- Miami, Florida: $80,000
- Atlanta, Georgia: $80,000
- Chicago, Illinois: $72,000
- Houston, Texas: $89,000
- Los Angeles, California: $85,000
- New York City, New York: $100,000
- Seattle, Washington: $81,000
- Overall: $84,000
5 Years of Experience:
- Orlando, Florida: $85,000
- Tampa, Florida: $83,000
- Jacksonville, Florida: $81,000
- Miami, Florida: $90,000
- Atlanta, Georgia: $106,000
- Chicago, Illinois: $105,000
- Houston, Texas: $120,000
- Los Angeles, California: $105,000
- New York City, New York: $118,000
- Seattle, Washington: $106,000
- Overall: $103,000
- Director of IT Infrastructure
- Engineering Manager
- Computer and Information Systems Manager
- IT Security Manager
This position requires a bachelor’s degree in a computer-related field. Employers may prefer candidates who have a master’s degree and those with extensive on-the-job experience. The IT Director position may be a pinnacle position for multiple career paths, including IT Manager. However, IT Directors/Managers have the opportunity to advance to positions such as Chief Technology Officer (CTO), Chief Information Officer (CIO), and Vice President of IT.
The field of information technology is continually growing as businesses become more innovative. Organizations across all sectors are becoming more reliant on information technology, which means IT Directors/Managers will continue to be vital team members. According to industry website Computer Science Online, organizations seek talent in big data, security, and mobile technology. The demand for IT Directors/Managers will rise to navigate this transformation.
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment in the IT Director/Manager field should grow 11 percent from 2018 to 2028. This growth rate is faster than average.
Typical hours for this position are from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday, in an office setting.
Where You Can Find Jobs
- 4 Corner Resources
- Career Builder
- Zip Recruiter
- IT Career Finder
- The Balance Careers
Are You Interested in Becoming an IT Director/Manager?
Here at 4 Corner Resources, we will connect you to one of our headhunters or recruiters to see if you are a perfect fit for one of our job openings. If a job opening does not suit you, we will always keep you in mind as new positions open up. We have vast experience connecting professionals with some of the most well-known organizations in the country. Your next job or career path can be right around the corner. Check out our latest open positions and our blog for career advice. Feel free to contact us at any time.