Enterprise Architects are responsible for designing and building computer networks and data communication systems. These networks and systems vary in size and service, depending on the organization’s needs and must be efficient and secure. Enterprise Architects collaborate with others to identify strengths, weaknesses, and areas of improvement of the network system. They work in myriad industries, including health care, construction, finance, and technology.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities
- Design and build computer networks including local and wide area networks and intranets
- Research and implement network software
- Supervise Network Administrators and Network Engineers, especially during the network set-up and configuration process
- Collaborate with colleagues and executives to meet business objectives and to establish a strategy
- Evaluate network performance
- Research new technologies to strengthen the organization
Education and Background
This position requires a bachelor’s degree in computer science, information technology, or a related field.
Skills and Competencies
- Strong understanding of infrastructure and network design, database management, and operations
- Critical-thinking and decision-making skills
- Proficient in finding creative solutions to complex problems
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to collaborate with and supervise others
- Experience with various technology methodologies and architecture applications
- Solid leadership and organization skills
- Detail-oriented and analytical thinker
According to Payscale the median annual salary of an Enterprise Architect with
1 Year of Experience:
- Orlando, Florida: $110,000
- Tampa, Florida: $114,000
- Jacksonville, Florida: $115,000
- Miami, Florida: $120,000
- Atlanta, Georgia: $120,000
- Chicago, Illinois: $120,000
- Houston, Texas: $114,000
- Los Angeles, California: $130,000
- New York City, New York: $130,000
- Seattle, Washington: $120,000
- Overall: $120,000
5 Years of Experience:
- Orlando, Florida: $121,000
- Tampa, Florida: $130,000
- Jacksonville, Florida: $135,000
- Miami, Florida: $130,000
- Atlanta, Georgia: $135,000
- Chicago, Illinois: $132,000
- Houston, Texas: $129,000
- Los Angeles, California: $141,000
- New York City, New York: $152,000
- Seattle, Washington: $130,000
- Overall: $136,000
- Solution Architect
- Systems Architect
- Software and Cloud Architect
- Network Architect
- Computer Network Architect
This position requires a bachelor’s degree in a computer-related field. Employers may prefer candidates who have a master’s degree, as well as those with on-the-job experience. Enterprise Architects may advance to positions such as Computer and Information Systems Manager and Chief Network Architect.
The information technology (IT) field is continually growing as businesses become more innovative. Organizations across all sectors are becoming more reliant on information technology, which means Enterprise Architects will continue to be vital to their success.
According to the industry website Computer Science Online, mobile technology, data security, and big data will be the core components of most organizations’ infrastructure, products, and services. Enterprise Architects will be integral to an organization’s success by keeping up-to-date on technological innovations and using that knowledge to design the optimal data and communication network systems.
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment in the Enterprise Architect field should grow five percent from 2018 to 2028. This growth rate is as fast as average for all occupations.
Typical work hours for this position are from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday, in an office setting.
Where You Can Find Jobs
- 4 Corner Resources
- Career Builder
- Zip Recruiter
- IT Career Finder
- The Balance Careers
Are You Interested in Becoming an Enterprise Architect?
Here at 4 Corner Resources, we will connect you to one of our headhunters or recruiters to see if you are a perfect fit for one of our job openings. If a job opening does not suit you, we will always keep you in mind as new positions open up. We have vast experience connecting professionals with some of the most well-known organizations in the country. Your next job or career path can be right around the corner. Check out our latest open positions and our blog for career advice. Feel free to contact us at any time.