If you have an eye for detail and managing logistics, and the skill and desire to lead a team, a position as an Inbound/Outbound Operations Manager might be an excellent fit for you.
Inbound/Outbound Operations Managers oversee shipping and logistics for facilities. They are responsible for managing and coordinating all activities within a warehouse to work together seamlessly and efficiently. Everything from receiving and shipping orders to reviewing logistics to managing warehouse staff to making sure equipment is maintained typically falls within the duties of an Inbound/Outbound Operations Manager.
It’s a vitally important job that requires planning and leadership experience, as well as a thorough understanding of warehousing and logistics.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversee warehouse operations and personnel
- Ensure accurate inventory tracking and accounting
- Maintain and nurture customer and vendor relationships
- Manage the efficient flow of inbound and outbound products and materials
- Review warehouse logistics and improve where possible
- Create warehouse metrics reports as needed
- Follow all applicable safety standards
Education and Background
This position requires a bachelor’s degree in business management, logistics, or a related field.
Skills and Proficiencies
- Organizational and communication skills
- Aptitude for counting and inventory management
- Managerial and business expertise
- Excellent leadership skills
According to Payscale the median annual salary of an Operations Manager with
1 Year of Experience:
- Orlando, Florida: $36,000
- Tampa, Florida: $35,000
- Jacksonville, Florida: $35,000
- Miami, Florida: $40,000
- Atlanta, Georgia: $45,000
- Chicago, Illinois: $44,000
- Houston, Texas: $52,000
- Los Angeles, California: $50,000
- New York City, New York: $44,000
- Seattle, Washington: $44,000
- Overall: $44,000
5 Years of Experience:
- Orlando, Florida: $52,000
- Tampa, Florida: $60,000
- Jacksonville, Florida: $53,000
- Miami, Florida: $60,000
- Atlanta, Georgia: $61,000
- Chicago, Illinois: $63,000
- Houston, Texas: $70,000
- Los Angeles, California: $60,000
- New York City, New York: $63,000
- Seattle, Washington: $59,000
- Overall: $65,000
Similar Job Titles
- Logistics Manager
- Supply Chain Analyst
- Warehouse Manager
The path to becoming an Inbound/Outbound Operations Manager begins with a bachelor’s degree in business management, logistics, or a related field. Most employers require several years of experience to consider an applicant for this managerial position. Job candidates earning Certification in Production and Inventory Management (CPIM) can help boost opportunities for advancement.
The increased use of technology, including radio frequency identification (RFID) tags and hand-held devices that read barcodes automatically, is expected to allow fewer warehouse and logistics workers to do the same amount of work. That said, the need for effective warehousing and logistics remains, as does the need for qualified managers.
Study.com cites the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics as stating that employment of transportation, storage, and distribution managers should grow by six percent through 2028, which is as fast as the average for jobs across all industries.
The typical work hours for an Inbound/Outbound Operations Manager are from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., typically in a warehouse setting on Monday through Friday. With materials often shipping around the clock, overtime or weekend hours may be necessary.
Where You Can Find Jobs
Are You Interested in Becoming an Inbound/Outbound Operations Manager?
Here at 4 Corner Resources, we will connect you to one of our headhunters or recruiters to see if you are a perfect fit for one of our job openings. If a job opening does not suit you, we will always keep you in mind as new positions open up. We have vast experience connecting professionals with some of the most well-known organizations in the country. Your next job or career path can be right around the corner. Check out our latest open positions and our blog for career advice. Feel free to contact us at any time.