Much like Accountants and Auditors, Bookkeepers are an essential part of the day-to-day business world. They work with the records and financial transactions of business clients. These records can typically include expenditures, receipts, accounts payable and receivable, and profit and loss records.
They also produce financial records for organizations, as well as check those and other documents for accuracy, helping to track expenses, bills, income, and more to assure the bottom line for their employers.
If you have a head for numbers, an eye for details, and are passionate about helping businesses better manage their finances, joining an organization as a Bookkeeper might be an excellent fit for your talents.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities
- Record day-to-day financial transactions and complete the posting process
- Bring the books to the trial balance stage
- Verify that transactions are recorded in the correct daybook, supplier’s ledger, customer ledger, and general ledger
- Perform partial checks of the posting process
- Complete tax forms
- Enter data, maintain records, and launch reports and financial statements
- Monitor office expenses and tally and enter cash receipts
- Coordinate bank deposits and report financial results regularly to management
Education and Background
This position requires a bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, or a related field.
Skills and Proficiencies
- Solid understanding of basic bookkeeping and accounting payable and receivable principles
- A high degree of accuracy and attention to detail
- Proficient in Microsoft Office
- Hands-on experience with spreadsheets and proprietary software
- Proven ability to calculate, post, and manage accounting figures and financial records
- Extensive experience with data entry, record keeping, and computer operation
According to Payscale the median annual salary of a Bookkeeper with
1 Year of Experience:
- Orlando, Florida: $35,000
- Tampa, Florida: $40,000
- Jacksonville, Florida: $42,000
- Miami, Florida: $38,000
- Atlanta, Georgia: $44,000
- Chicago, Illinois: $44,000
- Houston, Texas: $38,000
- Los Angeles, California: $44,000
- New York City, New York: $48,000
- Seattle, Washington: $42,000
- Overall: $43,000
5 Years of Experience:
- Orlando, Florida: $42,000
- Tampa, Florida: $44,000
- Jacksonville, Florida: $45,000
- Miami, Florida: $45,000
- Atlanta, Georgia: $50,000
- Chicago, Illinois: $55,000
- Houston, Texas: $50,000
- Los Angeles, California: $55,000
- New York City, New York: $60,000
- Seattle, Washington: $50,000
- Overall: $50,000
Similar Job Titles
The career path for a Bookkeeper starts with obtaining a bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, or a related field. Also, Bookkeepers can seek to further their career through certification with the National Association of Certified Public Bookkeepers.
Demand for Bookkeepers, Accountants, and Auditors should likely increase as global business grows, as with that growth comes more scrutiny and more need to keep track of finances and expenses.
The accounting and auditing services sector (which generally includes bookkeeping) is expected to grow stably at six percent through the year 2028 according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. This is an average growth rate, but a stable one for candidates interested in this work.
The typical work hours for a Bookkeeper can be from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday in an office setting. However, longer or different hours can be necessary. For example, overtime hours may be required at certain times of the year, like the end of a company’s budget year or during tax season.
Where You Can Find Jobs
- 4 Corner Resources
- Career Builder
Are You Interested in Becoming a Bookkeeper?
We will connect you to one of our headhunters or recruiters to see if you are a perfect fit for one of our job openings. If a job opening does not suit you, we will always keep you in mind as new positions open up. We have vast experience connecting professionals with some of the most well-known organizations in the country. Your next job or career path can be right around the corner. Check out our latest job openings and our blog for career advice.
Feel free to contact us at any time.