What is a Mid-Level Architect/Designer?
Mid-level architects/designers typically carry out most of an architectural firm’s work. They are the workhorses of their companies.
Most mid-level architects/designers bring several years of on-the-job experience to their roles. They lend their talents to a broad scope of work, including helping prepare architectural plans and designs, assisting in essential presentations, developing and finalizing building plans, and overseeing work done by more junior-level architects.
The nature of their work is typically collaborative, working as part of a team under the supervision of a senior architect or lead designer, often with the goal of moving upward to fill a similar position.
Are you a job seeker?
of job openings and
Average Salary and Compensation
Mid-level architect/designer salaries vary by experience, industry, organization size, and geography. To explore salary ranges by local market, please visit our sister site zengig.com.
The average U.S. salary for a Mid-Level Architect/Designer is:
How to Hire a Mid-Level Architect/Designer
When hiring a mid-level architect/designer, there are several factors to consider:
- Recruiting: Can you source and recruit for this role successfully using your internal resources and tools?
- Complexity: Does a senior professional need to be hired, or could a middle or even junior-level coordinator suffice?
- Duration: Do you have an indefinite need for this project or is it a one-time project?
- Management: Are you capable of directing the work effectively?
- Urgency: Will this role address a pressing need or an ongoing one?
- Headcount: Does this role need to be approved through HR?
Answering these questions will help you determine the most effective approach to bringing on new talent. Situations and needs change frequently, so the answer today may be different than the answer tomorrow. Each scenario can be solved with a wide variety of great options, no matter how unique. For hiring a mid-level architect/designer, we recommend the following options:
1. Use 4 Corner Resources (or another professional recruiting firm)
The heavy lifting is done for you when working with a top-tier staffing company like 4 Corner Resources. We source, screen, recruit, and deliver only the most qualified candidate(s), saving you significant time and effort throughout the hiring process while you remain focused on your core business. Understanding your needs and ensuring the right candidate for the position is the key to our success.
This is the best route to take when:
- You need to fill the position quickly
- You want access to a vast talent pool of high-quality, prescreened candidates
- You intend to hire on a temporary, contract, or contract-to-hire basis and direct the work activity
- You are hiring a direct employee but aren’t able to recruit effectively or efficiently with your internal staff
- You aren’t familiar with current salary rates, market trends, and available skill sets
2. Advertise your opening on a top job board
Your best option may be to advertise your opening on a proven job board. There are many widely used job sites out there that draw visits from qualified candidates. If you have someone internally who can dedicate the time and energy to sort through applications and screen individuals effectively, this can be a great choice.
We recommend using a job board when:
- Your internal recruiting team has the knowledge and experience to assess candidate qualifications
- You are hiring a direct employee and have time to manage the entire recruiting effort
- You have a process for receiving, screening, and tracking all resumes and applications
- You are prepared to respond to all applicants
There are many career sites out there. Here are the two we recommend for a mid-level architect/designer opening:
LinkedIn is a social network for job seekers, professionals, and businesses. With this popular job site, you can enhance your brand and advertise your open position to a wide audience of motivated, qualified candidates. Job postings on LinkedIn are also extremely streamlined and user-friendly, making it even easier for candidates to apply. Additionally, applicants can use their LinkedIn profile instead of a resume to expedite the process.
CareerBuilder has been a trusted source for hiring since 1995. Reach 80+ million unique, diverse U.S. job seekers annually by posting your jobs through their talent acquisition channels. Through CareerBuilder, you can engage candidates and drive them into your sourcing pipeline. We recommend using CareerBuilder for hiring when you have the internal resources and processes to review, screen, and reply to all applicants.
3. Leverage your internal resources
You can utilize your own website, social media, and employees to assist in your search for top candidates.
A company website posting should be the first step in notifying prospective candidates that you are hiring. Social media can also be a powerful tool for spreading the word about your new opening. As far as exposure is concerned, this option can be as good as some job boards when you have a large enough following across various platforms, like LinkedIn, Instagram, Facebook, TikTok, and Twitter.
Current employees are every organization’s greatest asset. Encourage your internal team to promote job openings to their network by offering cash and other incentives.
We recommend these options when:
- Your brand has great name recognition
- You can consistently monitor and respond to candidate activity through your website and social media accounts
- You have a process in place to quickly and broadly communicate job openings and requirements
- You have an effective employee referral program in place
If you aren’t sure which path is best, schedule a discovery call today with our seasoned recruiting professionals. The 4 Corner team is on standby to help you find the best option for your unique hiring need.
Sample Job Descriptions
The buildings that make up the landscape of our daily lives seem like permanent fixtures, fastened to a time and place. But what if that didn’t have to be true? What if our built environment — where we live, learn, play, and conduct business — carried us forward instead?
Our Buildings practice keeps people at its heart, recognizing that our shared journey forward is shaped by the meaningful and responsive places we design. From iconic designs to monumental groundbreakings, join us to bring transformational building solutions to life. Every day we apply our expertise, creativity, and passion to propel communities into the future—join us!
You will work on tasks under the guidance of a Senior Designer or Architect. This is an intermediate-level Architect Intern design role. You will be designing schematics specialized in space programming and site planning as well as developing elevations, sections, and architectural details for projects. You will be assisting with innovative and creative new prototypes, designed with sustainable products with green architecture sensibility as your goals.
- Works directly with Design Architects in the development of designs
- Supports Design Architects in the development of material for presentations
- Assists in the development of a design through sketches, physical models, electronic models, diagrams, massing studies, and other visual formats
- Utilizes BIM technologies in the development of three-dimensional models of buildings and their components
- Participates in design critiques and pin-ups
- Interprets and applies to build codes and requirements of other regulatory agencies
- Ability to conduct space planning, block planning, and adjacencies in coordination with the building program
- Prepares and revises documentation in various architectural phases including site plans, floor plans, building elevations, building sections, and details
- Coordinates building systems (structural, mechanical, electrical, etc.) to ensure compatibility with the design intent
- Assists in the evaluation and selection of building systems and materials
- Attends project coordination and meetings with internal team members and/or external consultants
- Participates in value engineering and basic cost estimating
- Implements sustainable design principles into the building design and surrounding environment
- Assists in site analysis, research of concept, benchmarks, typology, and precedents
- Basic knowledge and application of accessibility codes and applicable building codes
- Basic knowledge of building construction systems, means and methods, materials, and industry associated standards is expected
- Basic understanding of all phases of architectural document production and the relationship between drawings and specifications
- Ability to conduct space planning, block planning, and adjacencies in coordination with the building program
- To develop floor plans, wall sections, and details
- To check own work for accuracy and completeness and manage time to meet project budget and schedule
- To participate and collaborate in a project team setting through all phases of architectural document production
- To engage in creative and critical thought. To hand sketch and communicate concepts and ideas to others effectively
- To interpret sketches, drawings, building programs, and other similar materials. To communicate abstract ideas (verbal/written)
- Requires understanding of Microsoft Office Suite, Revit, AutoCAD; Prefer experience with Abobe Creative Suite, SketchUp, Newforma, Sefaira, Recent modeling software, 3D Printer, Laser cutter
Education and experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Architecture or a related field
- Minimum of 2-3 years of experience
- LEED Green Associate or LEED AP preferred
ABC Company is currently seeking Mid-level Architects and Designers to share in our passion for design. Challenging building types are the focus of our collaborative practice: higher educational facilities for science, research laboratories, and healthcare facilities of all types. We go beyond technical and programmatic competence to bring award-winning design and beautiful craft to these buildings of intense habitation. We provide a dynamic, collaborative environment that supports innovation and creativity, allowing each team member to significantly contribute to the design process. We invest in our staff and firmly believe there is an opportunity for anyone with talent and initiative to reach any level in our organization.
- Bachelor of Architecture degree or a Master of Architecture degree
- At least four years of post-graduate, professional firm experience
- Project typology experience in university, healthcare, or laboratory design and renovation
- Computer expertise in Revit
- Strong design and graphics skills
- Knowledge of space programming, contract documents (including detailing, specifications, production management, design production), and contract administration
- Excellent written, verbal, and visual communication skills with various levels of individuals including clients, consultants, and architects
- Ability to juggle multiple tasks, collaborate on large teams and work well under deadlines
- Registration and LEED accreditation are a plus
ABC Company is a nationally recognized architecture, engineering, interior design, and planning firm with offices across the country. Our multi-disciplinary practice is built on the core values of professional excellence, design quality, and collaboration. We are seeking a registered Mid-level Architect with at least eight years of experience to join us.
As part of the Architecture Discipline, the Architect works independently in directing and supervising a small staff for project-specific solutions for design, program, and technical requirements for projects. The Architect develops small to medium-scale projects and oversees a small staff of architects, technicians, and interns. This position coordinates with other disciplines, in the production of drawings and construction documents that fulfill the design concept, and meet the client’s expectations and the firm’s goals of design excellence, financial viability, and quality service. The Architect receives technical, budgetary, managerial, and design guidance on critical issues, new concepts, and policy requirements.
- Execute and enhance the design intent while preparing the construction documents
- Supervise small and medium size teams of professional and technical support personnel in project situations
- Manage and deliver the production of construction documents for small and medium-sized projects
- Provide technical support to project team members
- Assist market segment leaders and the marketing department in the preparation of design documents and presentation material
- Schematic Design and Design Development
- Work with the project manager and the project designer in creating buildings that serve the client’s needs and respond to their desired image, space, and aesthetic
- Develop code-compliant designs
- Participate in design presentations to the client
- Participate in the projects’ design review presentation
- Direct project coordination meetings for small and medium-sized projects
- Work with the Project Manager and Project Designer in developing the building design by testing it in relation to the program, budget, codes, and other issues that emerge in the Design Development phase
- Construction Documents
- Work with the project designer in articulating design principles that help govern the detailing phase of the project
- Work with the engineering disciplines (inclusive of civil and landscape) and Interiors in order to ensure consistent development of the project towards the design concepts established in earlier phases
- Develop project specifications and other technical requirements of projects
- Construction Administration
- Participate in submittal responses, shop drawing reviews, and construction site visits
- Prepare site visit reports
- Work with the technical team in preparing construction phase design directives
- Mentor Architecture Interns
Required education and experience
- Bachelor of Architecture
- Registered Architect in at least one state with suitable credentials for registration in other states
- Prior Science & Technology experience preferred
- Prior experience with Navisworks preferred
- Prior experience as an architect for components of projects with a demonstrated technical and organizational proficiency
- Demonstrated superior graphic design and building design and conceptualization skills
- Proficiency with AutoCAD, Revit, etc.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite and Adobe Suite
- Experience hand drawing and sketching
Preferred education and experience
- Masters of Architecture
- Successful completion in the delivery of projects as an Architect
- Demonstrated proficiency with Rhino, Grasshopper, 3D Max, and Sketch-up
Sample Interview Questions
- Why do you want to work as a mid-level architect/designer at our company?
- What skills do you possess that make you a great architect/designer?
- Describe the last project you worked on. What was your biggest challenge with the project?
- How do you organize and plan your work?
- What technology are you familiar with using that helps you succeed in your position as a mid-level architect/designer?
- How do you make sure you’re following all the laws and regulations relevant to this position?
- Describe how you analyze data.
- Tell me about a time you thought outside of the box. How did it impact the company you were working for?
- Do you prefer working independently or with teams?
- Tell me about a time you had a disagreement with a colleague. How did you resolve the issue?
- What are some differences between AutoCAD and Revit?
- Out of designing, planning, or development, which one do you believe to be the most important?
- How would you respond if a client asked you to restart a project from scratch?
- How do you integrate budgeting into your plans?
- Tell me about a time you made a mistake on a project. How did you fix it?
- What type of projects are you most interested in working on?