What Does a Mid-Level Architectural Designer Do?
Architectural designers at the mid-level are experienced in designing and planning new construction projects, but they are not yet senior architects. Using computer-aided design (CAD) software and other tools, they create detailed drawings and models of building designs for architects, engineers, contractors, and other professionals. By considering environmental impact, sustainability, and energy efficiency, they ensure that their designs meet safety codes and regulations.
In order to become a successful architectural designer, one must be able to understand design principles, building codes, and construction methods. Communication is an important part of their job, and they work collaboratively to ensure that their designs meet the needs and goals of the project. Their work shapes the physical landscape of cities and communities by constructing and developing buildings and structures.
Are you a job seeker?
of job openings and
National Average Salary
Mid-level architectural designer salaries vary by experience, industry, organization size, and geography. To explore salary ranges by local market, please visit our sister site zengig.com.
The average U.S. salary for a Mid-Level Architectural Designer is:
Mid-Level Architectural Designer Job Descriptions
It’s important to include the right content in your job description when hiring a mid-level architectural designer. The following examples can serve as templates for attracting the best available talent for your team.
Are you creative? Can you make and carry out plans based on the ideas you have? If so, becoming a mid-level architect/designer could be a great and fulfilling career for you. Mid-level architects/designers are hired by firms to carry out most of their architectural work. They are primarily responsible for preparing architectural designs and developing building plans so they can eventually pass on their work to more advanced architects. Mid-level architects/designers will continue to oversee the project even when they collaborate with more advanced architects to build their work. [Your Company Name] is looking for a seasoned mid-level architect/designer that has a bachelor’s degree in architecture and has several years of architecture and design experience under their belt. If you’re passionate about this work and are eager to collaborate with others to create, then we would be delighted to have you on our team as a mid-level architect/designer.
Typical duties and responsibilities
- Assist senior architects through all phases of a project, from proposal to delivery
- Help to plan, draw, and design for project completion
- Produce renderings, illustrations, and construction documents to support design concepts
- Review project proposals and specs
- Assist in directing junior architects and designers
- Help coordinate details of architectural projects
Education and experience
This position requires a bachelor’s degree in architecture, and at least two years of architecture and design experience.
Required skills and qualifications
- Proficient in AutoCAD, SketchUp, and related software applications
- Expertise in hand drawing and designing, including color rendering
- Excellent communications and presentation skills
- Experience producing construction documents
- Knowledge of physical model-making
- Strong leadership and collaborative skills
- Master’s degree in architecture
- 2+ years of experience working as a designer
- Strong artistic skills
The buildings that make up the landscape of our daily lives seem like permanent fixtures, fastened to a time and place. But what if that didn’t have to be true? What if our built environment — where we live, learn, play, and conduct business — carried us forward instead?
Our Buildings practice keeps people at its heart, recognizing that our shared journey forward is shaped by the meaningful and responsive places we design. From iconic designs to monumental groundbreakings, join us to bring transformational building solutions to life. Every day we apply our expertise, creativity, and passion to propel communities into the future—join us!
You will work on tasks under the guidance of a Senior Designer or Architect. This is an intermediate-level Architect Intern design role. You will be designing schematics specialized in space programming and site planning as well as developing elevations, sections, and architectural details for projects. You will be assisting with innovative and creative new prototypes, designed with sustainable products with green architecture sensibility as your goals.
- Works directly with Design Architects in the development of designs
- Supports Design Architects in the development of material for presentations
- Assists in the development of a design through sketches, physical models, electronic models, diagrams, massing studies, and other visual formats
- Utilizes BIM technologies in the development of three-dimensional models of buildings and their components
- Participates in design critiques and pin-ups
- Interprets and applies to build codes and requirements of other regulatory agencies
- Ability to conduct space planning, block planning, and adjacencies in coordination with the building program
- Prepares and revises documentation in various architectural phases including site plans, floor plans, building elevations, building sections, and details
- Coordinates building systems (structural, mechanical, electrical, etc.) to ensure compatibility with the design intent
- Assists in the evaluation and selection of building systems and materials
- Attends project coordination and meetings with internal team members and/or external consultants
- Participates in value engineering and basic cost estimating
- Implements sustainable design principles into the building design and surrounding environment
- Assists in site analysis, research of concept, benchmarks, typology, and precedents
- Basic knowledge and application of accessibility codes and applicable building codes
- Basic knowledge of building construction systems, means and methods, materials, and industry associated standards is expected
- Basic understanding of all phases of architectural document production and the relationship between drawings and specifications
- Ability to conduct space planning, block planning, and adjacencies in coordination with the building program
- To develop floor plans, wall sections, and details
- To check own work for accuracy and completeness and manage time to meet project budget and schedule
- To participate and collaborate in a project team setting through all phases of architectural document production
- To engage in creative and critical thought. To hand sketch and communicate concepts and ideas to others effectively
- To interpret sketches, drawings, building programs, and other similar materials. To communicate abstract ideas (verbal/written)
- Requires understanding of Microsoft Office Suite, Revit, AutoCAD; Prefer experience with Abobe Creative Suite, SketchUp, Newforma, Sefaira, Recent modeling software, 3D Printer, Laser cutter
Education and experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Architecture or a related field
- Minimum of 2-3 years of experience
- LEED Green Associate or LEED AP preferred
ABC Company is currently seeking Mid-level Architects and Designers to share in our passion for design. Challenging building types are the focus of our collaborative practice: higher educational facilities for science, research laboratories, and healthcare facilities of all types. We go beyond technical and programmatic competence to bring award-winning design and beautiful craft to these buildings of intense habitation. We provide a dynamic, collaborative environment that supports innovation and creativity, allowing each team member to significantly contribute to the design process. We invest in our staff and firmly believe there is an opportunity for anyone with talent and initiative to reach any level in our organization.
- Bachelor of Architecture degree or a Master of Architecture degree
- At least four years of post-graduate, professional firm experience
- Project typology experience in university, healthcare, or laboratory design and renovation
- Computer expertise in Revit
- Strong design and graphics skills
- Knowledge of space programming, contract documents (including detailing, specifications, production management, design production), and contract administration
- Excellent written, verbal, and visual communication skills with various levels of individuals including clients, consultants, and architects
- Ability to juggle multiple tasks, collaborate on large teams and work well under deadlines
- Registration and LEED accreditation are a plus
ABC Company is a nationally recognized architecture, engineering, interior design, and planning firm with offices across the country. Our multi-disciplinary practice is built on the core values of professional excellence, design quality, and collaboration. We are seeking a registered Mid-level Architect with at least eight years of experience to join us.
As part of the Architecture Discipline, the Architect works independently in directing and supervising a small staff for project-specific solutions for design, program, and technical requirements for projects. The Architect develops small to medium-scale projects and oversees a small staff of architects, technicians, and interns. This position coordinates with other disciplines, in the production of drawings and construction documents that fulfill the design concept, and meet the client’s expectations and the firm’s goals of design excellence, financial viability, and quality service. The Architect receives technical, budgetary, managerial, and design guidance on critical issues, new concepts, and policy requirements.
- Execute and enhance the design intent while preparing the construction documents
- Supervise small and medium size teams of professional and technical support personnel in project situations
- Manage and deliver the production of construction documents for small and medium-sized projects
- Provide technical support to project team members
- Assist market segment leaders and the marketing department in the preparation of design documents and presentation material
- Schematic Design and Design Development
- Work with the project manager and the project designer in creating buildings that serve the client’s needs and respond to their desired image, space, and aesthetic
- Develop code-compliant designs
- Participate in design presentations to the client
- Participate in the projects’ design review presentation
- Direct project coordination meetings for small and medium-sized projects
- Work with the Project Manager and Project Designer in developing the building design by testing it in relation to the program, budget, codes, and other issues that emerge in the Design Development phase
- Construction Documents
- Work with the project designer in articulating design principles that help govern the detailing phase of the project
- Work with the engineering disciplines (inclusive of civil and landscape) and Interiors in order to ensure consistent development of the project towards the design concepts established in earlier phases
- Develop project specifications and other technical requirements of projects
- Construction Administration
- Participate in submittal responses, shop drawing reviews, and construction site visits
- Prepare site visit reports
- Work with the technical team in preparing construction phase design directives
- Mentor Architecture Interns
Required education and experience
- Bachelor of Architecture
- Registered Architect in at least one state with suitable credentials for registration in other states
- Prior Science & Technology experience preferred
- Prior experience with Navisworks preferred
- Prior experience as an architect for components of projects with a demonstrated technical and organizational proficiency
- Demonstrated superior graphic design and building design and conceptualization skills
- Proficiency with AutoCAD, Revit, etc.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite and Adobe Suite
- Experience hand drawing and sketching
Preferred education and experience
- Masters of Architecture
- Successful completion in the delivery of projects as an Architect
- Demonstrated proficiency with Rhino, Grasshopper, 3D Max, and Sketch-up
Candidate Certifications to Look For
- Project Management Professional (PMP). This certificate is one of the most popular to earn in the architectural field. The PMP teaches its candidates to become familiar with different techniques that help enhance critical decision-making skills, which is vital for any mid-level architect/designer to create and come up with effective plans regarding architectural work. PMP candidates are also taught how to better work in a team by learning how to create unity by reducing conflict and how to develop a consensus between colleagues. Becoming a project management professional is deemed valuable by many employers since the course essentially teaches candidates how to lead and execute projects, which is a significant part of a mid-level architect/designer’s role.
- The Open Group Certified Architect (Open CA). The Open CA is a global certification that recognizes the advanced skills, knowledge, and experience of solution, business, enterprise, and digital architects. While this certification is difficult to earn with several evaluated projects, an experience application form, and completing the board, it will make any candidate highly valuable since it demonstrates their competence and determination. Any employer would be lucky to have candidates on their team when they are an Open Group Certified Architect.
Sample Interview Questions
- Describe the last project you worked on. What was your biggest challenge with the project?
- How do you organize and plan your work?
- What technology are you familiar with using that helps you succeed in your position as a mid-level architect/designer?
- How do you make sure you’re following all the laws and regulations relevant to this position?
- Tell me about a time you thought outside of the box. How did it impact the company you were working for?
- Tell me about a time you had a disagreement with a colleague. How did you resolve the issue?
- What are some differences between AutoCAD and Revit?
- Out of designing, planning, or development, which one do you believe to be the most important?
- How would you respond if a client asked you to restart a project from scratch?
- How do you integrate budgeting into your plans?
- Tell me about a time you made a mistake on a project. How did you fix it?
- What type of projects are you most interested in working on?