An essential part of any organization is its sales force. Whether the company is large or small, selling products or services is its ultimate source of income. A Vice President of Sales heads up the sales team or department is tasked with identifying sales targets and goals, and bringing together all efforts to achieve them.
VP of Sales candidates are experienced leaders responsible for directing their organization’s sales team to meet and exceed goals. They work with senior leaders to determine and set those sales goals for the month, quarter, year, and so on, and create strategies to reach them. They also are essential in hiring, training, and developing new members of the sales team, as well as managing the budgets for their department.
It’s a role that requires both leadership skills and insight into market trends, and the ability to bring those both together to marshal a successful sales force.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop strategies relating to the company’s market, products, services, and sales goals
- Work with executives to determine and execute sales plans to meet organizational needs
- Perform day-to-day oversight and management of the sales team
- Set and manage sales department budgets
- Track, analyze and present sales metrics to senior leadership
- Facilitate current client relationships and work to grow new ones
- Analyze market trends and plan sales strategies accordingly
Education and Background
This position requires a bachelor’s degree in business administration or a related field. Candidates need extensive experience in sales, preferably in the employer’s industry and in a leadership position.
Skills and Proficiencies
- Robust leadership abilities and an innovative, entrepreneurial attitude
- Experience in sales, customer service, or related field, preferably in a leadership role
- Familiarity with CRM platforms
- Strong analytical skills
- Knowledge of and insight into market trends, with an ability to think strategically
- Strong proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite
- Self-motivated and driven to succeed
According to Payscale the median annual salary of a Vice President of Sales with
1 Year of Experience:
- Orlando, Florida: $78,000
- Tampa, Florida: $80,000
- Jacksonville, Florida: $80,000
- Miami, Florida: $88,000
- Atlanta, Georgia: $84,000
- Chicago, Illinois: $65,000
- Houston, Texas: $83,000
- Los Angeles, California: $80,000
- New York City, New York: $75,000
- Seattle, Washington: $85,000
- Overall: $80,000
5 Years of Experience:
- Orlando, Florida: $88,000
- Tampa, Florida: $125,000
- Jacksonville, Florida: $113,000
- Miami, Florida: $95,000
- Atlanta, Georgia: $96,000
- Chicago, Illinois: $93,000
- Houston, Texas: $97,000
- Los Angeles, California: $99,000
- New York City, New York: $100,000
- Seattle, Washington: $102,000
- Overall: $94,000
Similar Job Titles
The career path for a Vice President of Sales starts by obtaining a bachelor’s degree in business administration or a related field. Also, earning certification as a Certified Professional Sales Person can help to advance a career in sales.
According to the Miller Heiman Group, sales management professionals should always be agile and adaptable in their approaches. Training is key. Sales leaders need to coach the sellers on their teams, helping them grow their skillset and close sales opportunities.
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment of sales management positions is projected to grow five percent through 2028, putting expected growth at about an average rate in contrast to job opportunities for all occupations.
The typical work hours for a VP of Sales are from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday in an office setting.
Where You Can Find Jobs
- 4 Corner Resources
- Career Builder
Are You Interested in Becoming a Vice President of Sales?
We will connect you to one of our headhunters or recruiters to see if you are a perfect fit for one of our job openings. If a job opening does not suit you, we will always keep you in mind as new positions open up. We have vast experience connecting professionals with some of the most well-known organizations in the country. Your next job or career path can be right around the corner. Check out our latest job openings and our blog for career advice.
Feel free to contact us at any time.