In today’s law firms, accurate, updated data has never been more critical. A Legal Data Entry Specialist plays a vital role, assuring that all data is entered accurately, thoroughly, and on time.
The Legal Data Entry Specialist role is one for motivated people with excellent computer and typing skills, an eye for detail, and the ability to manage their time well with minimal supervision.
As a Legal Data Entry Specialist, you’re a valuable “behind the scenes” member of the team, adding, reviewing, and fact-checking information, fixing errors when found, and maintaining documentation or logs of the work you do. Now more than ever, a firm’s data helps to drive the decisions it makes, and your role as a Legal Data Entry Specialist is central to that process.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities
- Compile, sort, and verify the accuracy of data before it is entered
- Locate and correct data entry errors, or report them to a supervisor
- Compare data with source documents, or re-enter data in verification format to detect errors
- Review, fact-check, and process invoices
- Index invoices and file them in the appropriate places
- Maintain logs of activities and completed work
- Read source documents such as reports or bills, and enter data in specific data fields or onto tapes or disks for subsequent entry, using keyboards or scanners
Education and Background
This position requires a high school diploma or GED. General knowledge of law firm operations is a plus.
Skills and Competencies
- Excellent computer skills including typing
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite
- Excellent time management
- Close attention to detail
- Ability to complete tasks with little to no supervision
According to Payscale the median annual salary of a Legal Data Entry Specialist with
1 Year of Experience:
- Orlando, Florida: $35,000
- Tampa, Florida: $33,000
- Jacksonville, Florida: $33,000
- Miami, Florida: $31,000
- Atlanta, Georgia: $34,000
- Chicago, Illinois: $33,000
- Houston, Texas: $33,000
- Los Angeles, California: $33,000
- New York City, New York: $33,000
- Seattle, Washington: $37,000
- Overall: $34,000
5 Years of Experience:
- Orlando, Florida: $37,000
- Tampa, Florida: $36,000
- Jacksonville, Florida: $36,000
- Miami, Florida: $37,000
- Atlanta, Georgia: $37,000
- Chicago, Illinois: $36,000
- Houston, Texas: $36,000
- Los Angeles, California: $38,000
- New York City, New York: $42,000
- Seattle, Washington: $40,000
- Overall: $38,000
Similar Job Titles
The career path for a Legal Data Entry Specialist entails first obtaining a high school diploma or GED. This path can often start as an entry-level position but can have opportunities for advancement, based on experience and performance. Also, Legal Data Entry Specialists can seek to further their career through completing courses that can bolster their skills in typing, computer knowledge, legal and medical office procedures, and more.
With digital information being the lifeblood of virtually every industry, data entry jobs exist at many legal firms. Data entry may not be the flashiest role, but it can be a steady one for someone with the skills and drive to excel at it.
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment of Legal Data Entry Specialists and similar jobs is projected to remain relatively stable, showing a little-to-no change in the next 10 years. Also worth noting is that all types of companies and organizations in virtually every industry use Data Entry Specialists in one way or another, including local governments, school systems, and medical systems, as well as businesses across the spectrum.
The typical work hours for a Legal Data Entry Specialist are from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday in an office setting. However, longer or different hours can be necessary, depending on the needs and hours of an individual firm.
Where You Can Find Jobs
- 4 Corner Resources
- Career Builder
Are You Interested in Becoming a Legal Data Entry Specialist?
We will connect you to one of our headhunters or recruiters to see if you are a perfect fit for one of our job openings. If a job opening does not suit you, we will always keep you in mind as new positions open up. We have vast experience connecting professionals with some of the most well-known organizations in the country. Your next job or career path can be right around the corner. Check out our latest job openings and our blog for career advice.
Feel free to contact us at any time.