If you have an eye for detail, can manage multiple tasks at once and would love a professional job that focuses on helping people, a role as a Human Resources Generalist might be an excellent fit for you.
HR Generalists are mid-level professionals who oversee many different aspects of the human resources department. They manage everything from the recruitment process and employee relations to compliance with regulations, employee training, and development.
The job of an HR Generalist requires great people and communication skills and a knack for balancing multiple tasks and projects at once. Strong analytical skills are a must for HR Generalists, as are negotiation and problem-solving expertise. It can be a demanding job, but one with great rewards.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities
- Administer HR plans for employees
- Develop and implement personnel procedures and policies
- Assist in employee hiring, onboarding, and training
- Facilitate various HR department processes
- Help employees with their questions and issues
- Work in the areas of employee health plans, safety, payroll, and benefits
Education and Background
This position requires a bachelor’s degree in human resources management, business administration, or a related field.
Skills and Proficiencies
- Excellent leadership, communication, and interpersonal skills
- Professional and courteous with a positive attitude
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite
- Can work with minimal guidance and oversight
- Expertise in customer service
- Ability to multitask and organize
According to Payscale the median annual salary of an HR Generalist with
1 Year of Experience:
- Orlando, Florida: $41,000
- Tampa, Florida: $46,000
- Jacksonville, Florida: $49,000
- Miami, Florida: $43,000
- Atlanta, Georgia: $50,000
- Chicago, Illinois: $55,000
- Houston, Texas: $53,000
- Los Angeles, California: $61,000
- New York City, New York: $62,000
- Seattle, Washington: $60,000
- Overall: $54,000
5 Years of Experience:
- Orlando, Florida: $51,000
- Tampa, Florida: $53,000
- Jacksonville, Florida: $55,000
- Miami, Florida: $59,000
- Atlanta, Georgia: $60,000
- Chicago, Illinois: $65,000
- Houston, Texas: $65,000
- Los Angeles, California: $70,000
- New York City, New York: $73,000
- Seattle, Washington: $70,000
- Overall: $65,000
Similar Job Titles
The career path for an HR Generalist starts with obtaining a bachelor’s degree in human resources management, business administration, or a related field. Also, achieving certification as a Professional in Human Resources can help lay the groundwork to advance in an HR career.
According to SelectHub, the employee experience will become more central in the roles of human resources professionals; they will have to prioritize employee-centric culture and experience to recruit the best candidates. And while some automation and artificial intelligence (AI) may coexist with human resources jobs, they will serve as complementary technologies, helping HR Generalists do their jobs more efficiently.
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, the employment of Human Resources Generalists is projected to grow five percent through 2028, and that of HR management is expected to grow seven percent in that same time. With HR Generalist being a mid-level role in this field, this position’s projected growth is slightly better than average overall in contrast to job opportunities for all occupations.
The typical work hours for an HR Generalist are from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday in an office setting.
Where You Can Find Jobs
Are You Interested in Becoming an HR Generalist?
We will connect you to one of our headhunters or recruiters to see if you are a perfect fit for one of our job openings. If a job opening does not suit you, we will always keep you in mind as new positions open up.
We have vast experience connecting professionals with some of the most well-known organizations in the country. Your next job or career path can be right around the corner. Check out our latest job openings and our blog for career advice.
Feel free to contact us at any time.