Technology Solutions Sales Professionals meet with customers and determine their needs for particular kinds of electronic hardware and software. These products include computers and servers, office management and word processing software, and complicated data storage and information security systems. Technology Solutions Sales can mean everything from retail sales direct to consumers to complex, long-term sales contracts for large-scale corporate software or equipment solutions. A Technology Solutions Sales Professional must be able to communicate the technical details and capabilities of products to clients and demonstrate how the equipment will meet the clients’ needs.
Technology Solutions Sales Professionals must possess presentation skills in addition to being adept at relationship-building, negotiation, and communication. They must be able to communicate effectively with people at various levels of an organization, who might want different information about a particular product. Some technical background and knowledge of each product and its capabilities are also necessary.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities
- Assess client needs and promote suitable products
- Meet with decision-makers and provide information about software products
- Perform product demonstrations and training as needed
- Negotiate sales prices
- Construct pitches and sales presentations
Education and Background
An associate or bachelor’s degree is usually required for this position. Employers prefer that candidates take coursework in business technology, information technology, management, communications, marketing, sales, or related topics.
Skills and Competencies
- Written and verbal communication skills, including relationship-building and influencing
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite or similar software, including spreadsheets and databases
- Negotiation skills
- Strong sense of organization and time management
According to Payscale the median annual salary of a Technology Solutions Sales Professional with
1 year of experience:
- Orlando, Florida: $68,000
- Tampa, Florida: $80,000
- Jacksonville, Florida: $85,000
- Miami, Florida: $74,000
- Atlanta, Georgia: $93,000
- Chicago, Illinois: $80,000
- Houston, Texas: $80,0009
- Los Angeles, California: $89,000
- New York, New York: $90,000
- Seattle, Washington: $100,000
- Overall: $84,000
5 years of experience:
- Orlando, Florida: $78,000
- Tampa, Florida: $105,000
- Jacksonville, Florida: $104,000
- Miami, Florida: $100,000
- Atlanta, Georgia: $105,000
- Chicago, Illinois: $95,000
- Houston, Texas: $93,000
- Los Angeles, California: $101,000
- New York, New York: $128,000
- Seattle, Washington: $125,000
- Overall: $102,000
Similar Job Titles
- Software Sales Representative
- Software Account Executive
- Technology Account Executive
- New Business Development Manager
- Technical Sales
- Technology Sales Development Representative
- Outbound SDR
- Inbound SDR
Some technology companies have training programs for Technology Solutions Sales Professionals. Others require a track record in sales. Technology Solutions Sales Professionals who perform well can advance into sales management positions, overseeing sales professionals for a particular region or territory, or working with clients with more extensive technology needs.
According to the technology solutions firm The AME Group, there are a few trends that will shape the technology solutions field in the next few years. One is the increased need for data security. Since companies collect more data about their customers and how they do business, they will need more hardware and software solutions to protect it. Also, more companies are moving to cloud-based computing, both for increased security and increased efficiency. Industry thought-leaders predict many companies will begin focusing on cloud computing as a core component of their technology strategy.
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, the sales engineer field — which encompasses Technology Solutions Sales Professionals — is expected to grow by six percent between 2018 and 2028, which is as fast as average.
The typical work hours for a Technology Solutions Sales Professional are usually from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Where You Can Find Jobs
Are You Interested in Working in Technology Solutions Sales?
Here at 4 Corner Resources, we will connect you to one of our headhunters or recruiters to see if you are a perfect fit for one of our job openings. If a job opening does not suit you, we will always keep you in mind as new positions open up. We have vast experience connecting professionals with some of the most well-known organizations in the country. Your next job or career path can be right around the corner. Check out our latest open positions and our blog for career advice. Feel free to contact us at any time.