Chief Information Officers are responsible for making decisions regarding a company’s information framework. They combine technology and management skills to maintain the information technology (IT) department and, in turn, the organization as a whole. Chief Information Officers set the technology and business objectives for the company and lead and manage projects and personnel to achieve these goals.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversee projects, personnel, and operations within the Information Technology department
- Conduct timely and constructive performance evaluations
- Plan, manage and coordinate technology infrastructure
- Develop short-term and long-term strategies for the organization’s technology infrastructure
- Purchase, deploy and evaluate new and existing technology systems
- Analyze performance indicators
- Provide technical expertise and industry knowledge
Education and Background
This position requires a bachelor’s degree in computer science, information technology, business management, or a related field. Many employers prefer candidates who have a master’s degree, and extensive professional experience in an information systems field is required.
Skills and Competencies
- High level of project management experience
- Strong leadership skills
- Knowledge of current technologies and methodologies
- Vendor management and negotiation experience
- Superior written and verbal communication skills
- Project management and supervision skills
According to Payscale, the median annual salary of a Chief Information Officer with
1 Year of Experience:
- Orlando, Florida: $131,000
- Tampa, Florida: $113,000
- Jacksonville, Florida: $125,000
- Miami, Florida: $135,000
- Atlanta, Georgia: $138,000
- Chicago, Illinois: $151,000
- Houston, Texas: $160,000
- Los Angeles, California: $140,000
- New York City, New York: $155,000
- Seattle, Washington: $143,000
- Overall: $140,000
5 Years of Experience:
- Orlando, Florida: $170,000
- Tampa, Florida: $160,000
- Jacksonville, Florida: $165,000
- Miami, Florida: $171,000
- Atlanta, Georgia: $175,000
- Chicago, Illinois: $160,000
- Houston, Texas: $175,000
- Los Angeles, California: $170,000
- New York City, New York: $179,000
- Seattle, Washington: $160,000
- Overall: $166,000
- Vice President of Information Technology
- Lead Director of Information Technology
- Chief Technology Officer
- Chief Security Officer
This position requires a bachelor’s degree in a computer-related field. Employers may prefer candidates who have a master’s degree and those with extensive on-the-job experience. This role is a top position that is the pinnacle for many different career paths. However, Chief Information Officers may have the opportunity to advance to other executive-level positions such as Chief Executive Officer or President. This high-level position also allows for opportunities to create other businesses or begin consulting.
According to industry website Computer Science Online, the information systems of organizations are rapidly transforming to account for innovations in big data, mobile security, and data security. This transformation will require forward-thinking Chief Information Officers to understand the changing world of technology. High demand for this role exists in most organizations, especially businesses with more than 500 employees.
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment as a Top Executive, which includes the Chief Information Officer role, is expected to grow six percent from 2018 to 2028. This growth rate is about as fast as the average for all occupations. This growth rate will vary depending on the industry.
Typical hours for this position are from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday, in an office setting.
Where You Can Find Jobs
- 4 Corner Resources
- Career Builder
- Zip Recruiter
- IT Career Finder
- The Balance Careers
Are You Interested in Becoming a Chief Information Officer?
Here at 4 Corner Resources, we will connect you to one of our headhunters or recruiters to see if you are a perfect fit for one of our job openings. If a job opening does not suit you, we will always keep you in mind as new positions open up. We have vast experience connecting professionals with some of the most well-known organizations in the country. Your next job or career path can be right around the corner. Check out our latest open positions and our blog for career advice. Feel free to contact us at any time.