Every building, no matter how large or small, is the result of a team of talented professionals working — often behind the scenes — to design and build it. One of the most important members of this team is the Senior Architect/Designer.
Senior Architects/Designers bring considerable experience to their roles. They lead many aspects of architectural projects, as well as oversee junior members of the design team. They wear many hats, often representing their firm or organization to clients and the public as needed.
The role of Senior Architect/Designer is typically a very busy one with many responsibilities. Leading a design team and playing an instrumental role in bringing ideas to life can be very rewarding.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead and guide a team of junior staff members
- Collaborate with the team in developing creative design solutions
- Review project documents for quality assurance
- Interact and consult with clients
- Lead team in project design and documentation from start to finish
- Plan, coordinate and manage project deliverables
- Oversee project financial performance
- Innovate new ways to raise the bar for the team and the company
Education and Background
This position requires a bachelor’s degree in architecture or a related field and at least five years of experience as an architect or engineer.
Skills and Proficiencies
- Project management experience
- Strong leadership and collaborative skills
- Client and consultant coordination ability
- Presentation expertise
- Proficient in AutoCAD and other related software and design platforms
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Organized, detail-oriented, and self-starting
According to Payscale the median annual salary of a Senior Architect/Designer with
1 Year of Experience:
- Orlando, Florida: $104,000
- Tampa, Florida: $114,000
- Jacksonville, Florida: $125,000
- Miami, Florida: $115,000
- Atlanta, Georgia: $114,000
- Chicago, Illinois: $125,000
- Houston, Texas: $124,000
- Los Angeles, California: $114,000
- New York City, New York: $140,000
- Seattle, Washington: $125,000
- Overall: $120,000
5 Years of Experience:
- Orlando, Florida: $110,000
- Tampa, Florida: $120,000
- Jacksonville, Florida: $135,000
- Miami, Florida: $121,000
- Atlanta, Georgia: $121,000
- Chicago, Illinois: $135,000
- Houston, Texas: $133,000
- Los Angeles, California: $140,000
- New York City, New York: $150,000
- Seattle, Washington: $135,000
- Overall: $131,000
Similar Job Titles
- Mid-Level Architect/Designer
- Junior-Level Architect/Designer
- CAD Drafter
- Landscape Architect
Senior Architects/Designers typically reach this level through producing outstanding work, gaining experience over multiple years, and taking on leadership roles at their firm or organization.
All architects need to earn a license from the licensing board of the state where they plan to practice. Other ways to stand out in the architecture field include further schooling beyond a bachelor’s degree and passing the Architect Registration Examination®, created to assess knowledge and skills in the practice of architecture.
With a large number of students graduating with degrees in architecture, there will be stiff competition for internships and jobs in the field. As in many occupations, those at or nearing senior levels in this field can be expected to wear leadership hats — including overseeing junior team members and playing the role of client liaison as needed — in addition to completing their own work.
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment for architectural and engineering managers (which can sometimes include Senior Architects/Designers) should grow three percent through 2028, slightly slower than average for jobs across all occupations. The employment rate in the same timeframe for architects as a general category is projected at eight percent growth, faster than average for employment across all occupations.
The typical work hours for a Senior Architect/Designer are from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., generally in an office setting, with after-hours or weekend hours as needed.
Where You Can Find Jobs
Are You Interested in Becoming a Senior Architect/Designer?
Here at 4 Corner Resources, we will connect you to one of our headhunters or recruiters to see if you are a perfect fit for one of our job openings. If a job opening does not suit you, we will always keep you in mind as new positions open up. We have vast experience connecting professionals with some of the most well-known organizations in the country. Your next job or career path can be right around the corner. Check out our latest open positions and our blog for career advice. Feel free to contact us at any time.