Medical optical imaging, put simply, is the use of light in imaging for medical applications. Some of these uses can include spectroscopy, endoscopy, and laser imaging.
An Optical Imaging Solutions Salesperson is responsible for looking at potential clients — whether they be hospitals, doctor’s offices, or health systems — analyzing that client’s needs and advising and recommending the right optical imaging devices to sell to them.
Beyond solid sales acumen, Optical Imaging Solutions Salespeople need a rock-solid understanding of their sophisticated medical product line to make the right recommendations to clients. There can be exceptions, but typically this requires a level of education and knowledge of the medical field.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities
- Assess client needs
- Promote and present appropriate products
- Close sales on promoted products
- Keep detailed records and databases of all customer and prospect contacts
- Work with business development personnel to develop sales targets and strategies
- Take part in sales meetings and calls
Education and Background
This position requires a bachelor’s degree in business administration or a related field, preferably with coursework in the sciences or engineering.
Skills and Proficiencies
- Strong understanding of the medical industry
- Sales experience in the medical or similar field
- Familiarity with databases, statistics, product lines, and the latest medical issues
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship-building skills
- Strong negotiation and sales skills
- Self-motivated and driven to succeed
According to Payscale the median annual salary of an Optical Imaging Solutions Salesperson with
1 year of experience:
- Orlando, Florida: $52,000
- Tampa, Florida: $55,000
- Jacksonville, Florida: $53,000
- Miami, Florida: $53,000
- Atlanta, Georgia: $51,000
- Chicago, Illinois: $48,000
- Houston, Texas: $55,000
- Los Angeles, California: $47,000
- New York, New York: $63,000
- Seattle, Washington: $43,000
- Overall: $53,000
5 years of experience:
- Orlando, Florida: $65,000
- Tampa, Florida: $68,000
- Jacksonville, Florida: $63,000
- Miami, Florida: $63,000
- Atlanta, Georgia: $62,000
- Chicago, Illinois: $65,000
- Houston, Texas: $65,000
- Los Angeles, California: $70,000
- New York, New York: $80,000
- Seattle, Washington: $57,000
- Overall: $65,000
Similar Job Titles
- Medical Device Sales
- Technology Solutions Sales
- Media/Advertising Sales
- Insurance Sales
The career path for an Optical Imaging Solutions Salesperson starts by obtaining a bachelor’s degree in business administration or a related field, preferably with coursework in the sciences or engineering. Also, gaining an understanding of the medical field, particularly medical devices, is desirable. A candidate can acquire this knowledge through experience or schooling, or both. Also, earning recognition as a Certified Professional Sales Person can help to advance a career in sales.
According to Salesforce.com, current trends shaping sales today include prioritizing trend analysis to predict and invest in future growth. Doing so will allow salespeople to be poised to take advantage of opportunities created by sudden changes in the sales and industry environment. Additionally, using more advanced data to find new, previously overlooked opportunities for sales will be paramount.
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, the Wholesale and Manufacturing Sales
Representative field — which encompasses Optical Imaging Solutions Salespeople — is expected to grow by two percent through 2028, which is slightly slower than the average growth rate compared across all careers.
The typical work hours for an Optical Imaging Solutions Salesperson are from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday in an office setting. Longer hours or travel may be necessary, depending on individual companies.
Where You Can Find Jobs
Here at 4 Corner Resources, we will connect you to one of our headhunters or recruiters to see if you are a perfect fit for one of our job openings. If a job opening does not suit you, we will always keep you in mind as new positions open up. We have vast experience connecting professionals with some of the most well-known organizations in the country. Your next job or career path can be right around the corner. Check out our latest open positions and our blog for career advice. Feel free to contact us at any time.