Java Developers are expert computer programmers who specialize in coding with Java, the most in-demand programming language. These professionals design and implement dynamic applications and websites. Java Developers are also responsible for fixing issues in these applications and sites. Working in a team environment, Java Developers are essential throughout the entire development life cycle of a product.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities
- Write website applications using Java programming
- Revise and update applications
- Analyze user requirements to inform application design
- Conduct software analysis, programming, testing, and debugging
- Collaborate effectively across teams
- Provide detailed design documentation
Education and Background
This position requires a bachelor’s degree in computer science or a related field. Employers prefer candidates who have a certification, such as the Oracle Certified Associate Java Programmer.
Skills and Competencies
- Proven software development and Java development experience
- Expertise in interface design and database structures
- Ability to work as part of a team and meet tight deadlines
- Excellent problem-solving and analytical abilities
- Keen attention to detail
- Several years of hands-on software development experience
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
According to Payscale the median annual salary of a Java Developer with
1 Year of Experience:
- Orlando, Florida: $95,000
- Tampa, Florida: $95,000
- Jacksonville, Florida: $93,000
- Miami, Florida: $95,000
- Atlanta, Georgia: $94,000
- Chicago, Illinois: $110,000
- Houston, Texas: $100,000
- Los Angeles, California: $100,000
- New York City, New York: $100,000
- Seattle, Washington: $100,000
- Overall: $97,000
5 Years of Experience:
- Orlando, Florida: $118,000
- Tampa, Florida: $114,000
- Jacksonville, Florida: $113,000
- Miami, Florida: $125,000
- Atlanta, Georgia: $115,000
- Chicago, Illinois: $125,000
- Houston, Texas: $129,000
- Los Angeles, California: $125,000
- New York City, New York: $118,000
- Seattle, Washington: $114,000
- Overall: $119,000
- Java Engineer
- J2ee Developer
- Java Programmer
- Java Architect
A Java Developer must have a bachelor’s degree in computer science or a related field. The junior Java Developer is responsible for encoding and debugging. Typically after three years of experience, a Java Developer will become a senior programmer and get involved in software development. Individuals with more than five years of experience may become team leaders and, eventually, senior team leaders in charge of the entire department.
The need for Software Developers in the coming years should increase. It’s one of the fastest-growing jobs in the IT field. According to the trade publication Tech Times, Software Developers should look at solutions involving artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning. These technologies are being adopted across industries very quickly; more companies are looking to AI software to make better use of the data they collect.
Increased demand for the Internet of Things (IoT) is another trend for Software Developers to watch in the coming years. Devices that can connect to the internet, from smart appliances to wearable technology, are becoming more and more popular. Many software companies should begin specializing in programming for the IoT sector, so Software Developers who are knowledgeable in creating software for smart technology will be more in demand.
Another trend in the software development field in the coming years is the increased use of progressive web apps (PWAs). They’re a kind of website that functions like a mobile app but runs in a web browser. More companies are using them because it can save them money by not having to develop a mobile version of their websites or a mobile app. Instead, PWAs give companies the same benefits as a mobile app and offer faster load times and better functionality for customers.
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, the number of Java Developer jobs should grow by 21 percent by 2028, which is much faster than average.
The typical work hours for a Java Developer are from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. in an office setting.
Where You Can Find Jobs
- 4 Corner Resources
- IT Career Finder
Are You Interested in Becoming a Java Developer?
We will connect you to one of our headhunters or recruiters to see if you are a perfect fit for one of our job openings. If a job opening does not suit you, we will always keep you in mind as new positions open up. We have vast experience connecting professionals with some of the most well-known organizations in the country. Your next job or career path can be right around the corner. Check out our latest job openings and our blog for career advice.
Feel free to contact us at any time.