Network Operations Managers plan, direct, maintain, and coordinate network installation, maintenance, and operations. They oversee the operation data centers for their companies through recruiting, leading, and mentoring teams of Network Engineers. These managers use strategic planning to ensure their team members stay on schedule. Network Operations Managers are also responsible for ensuring compliance with company policies and guidelines.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities
- Plan, direct, maintain, and coordinate network installation, maintenance, and operations
- Recruit, manage and mentor a team of Network Engineers
- Create troubleshooting and maintenance protocols
- Select hardware, software, and vendors according to organizational needs and budgets
- Ensure compliance with company policies and guidelines
- Configure, monitor and troubleshoot network problems
Education and Background
This position requires a bachelor’s degree in computer science or a related field. Some employers prefer that job candidates have a master’s degree for certain jobs and career advancement.
Skills and Competencies
- Proficient in recruiting, leading and mentoring employees
- Thorough understanding of wireless networking and general IT functions
- Policy development and enforcement skills
- Expertise in written and verbal communication
- Excellent troubleshooting, problem-solving and collaborative skills
- Keen attention to detail
According to Payscale the median annual salary of a Network Operations Manager with
1 Year of Experience:
- Orlando, Florida: $53,000
- Tampa, Florida: $64,000
- Jacksonville, Florida: $60,000
- Miami, Florida: $60,000
- Atlanta, Georgia: $73,000
- Chicago, Illinois: $62,000
- Houston, Texas: $68,000
- Los Angeles, California: $82,000
- New York City, New York: $70,000
- Seattle, Washington: $60,000
- Overall: $66,000
5 Years of Experience:
- Orlando, Florida: $75,000
- Tampa, Florida: $75,000
- Jacksonville, Florida: $81,000
- Miami, Florida: $75,000
- Atlanta, Georgia: $95,000
- Chicago, Illinois: $82,000
- Houston, Texas: $92,000
- Los Angeles, California: $90,000
- New York City, New York: $95,000
- Seattle, Washington: $90,000
- Overall: $87,000
- Network Manager
- Network Operations Center Manager
- Network Management Operations Manager
- Network Operations Controller
- Field Operations Manager
- Technical Operations Manager
- Provider Network Operations Manager
This position requires a bachelor’s degree in computer science or a related field, although a master’s degree is generally preferred. A Network Operations Manager will typically advance to more executive positions such as Director of Information Systems, Chief Information Officer (CIO), or VP of Technology after years of experience.
According to the website Network World, one trend that will affect networking sectors is the expanded use of wireless technology. Innovation in smart devices means accessing networks will need to improve. Another growing trend is the switch to systems that favor SD-WAN technology. With the growth of multi-cloud networking and the need for secure access to cloud applications, more businesses are willing to re-tool their networks to ensure security.
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, the computer networking field is expected to grow by five percent between 2018 to 2028. That growth rate is as fast as the average for all occupations.
The typical work hours for a Network Operations Manager are from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Where You Can Find Jobs
- 4 Corner Resources
- Career Builder
Are You Interested in Becoming a Network Operations Manager?
We will connect you to one of our headhunters or recruiters to see if you are a perfect fit for one of our job openings. If a job opening does not suit you, we will always keep you in mind as new positions open up. We have vast experience connecting professionals with some of the most well-known organizations in the country. Your next job or career path can be right around the corner. Check out our latest job openings and our blog for career advice.
Feel free to contact us at any time.