Information Technology (IT) Auditors are responsible for planning, coordinating, conducting, and reporting on IT audits of networks, applications, system development, and corporate systems and processes. They must collect and evaluate data about an organization’s systems, practices, and operations, as well as to conduct fieldwork, assess the effectiveness of results, and identify issues to find resolutions. IT Auditors work in myriad industries, including health care, construction, finance, and technology.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities
- Conduct audits and assesses appropriate solutions to complex problems
- Identify risks and controls of the IT department
- Identify areas of improvement
- Perform and document audit findings
- Provide recommendations from assessments
- Audit computer systems to minimize risks
- Participate in technology audits and technology project reviews
- Maintain and revise existing compliance programs
Education and Background
This position requires a bachelor’s degree in business administration, information technology, finance, information systems management, or another relevant field. CISA or CISSP certification is a plus.
Skills and Competencies
- Strong teamwork and interpersonal skills
- Proficient in finding creative solutions to complex problems
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Detail-oriented and analytical thinker
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and other applications
- Ability to identify, assess and advise on risks for technology projects
According to Payscale, the median annual salary of an IT Auditor with
1 Year of Experience:
- Orlando, Florida: $43,000
- Tampa, Florida: $48,000
- Jacksonville, Florida: $45,000
- Miami, Florida: $65,000
- Atlanta, Georgia: $53,000
- Chicago, Illinois: $69,000
- Houston, Texas: $68,000
- Los Angeles, California: $64,000
- New York City, New York: $66,000
- Seattle, Washington: $53,000
- Overall: $55,000
5 Years of Experience:
- Orlando, Florida: $53,000
- Tampa, Florida: $54,000
- Jacksonville, Florida: $60,000
- Miami, Florida: $73,000
- Atlanta, Georgia: $65,000
- Chicago, Illinois: $90,000
- Houston, Texas: $80,000
- Los Angeles, California: $84,000
- New York City, New York: $91,000
- Seattle, Washington: $78,000
- Overall: $71,000
- Controls Assurance and Advisory Analyst
- IT Risks and Controls Consultant
- Internal Control Analyst
- IT Risk Manager
This position requires a bachelor’s degree in a computer-related field. Employers may prefer candidates who have CISA or CISSP certifications, as well as those with on-the-job experience. IT Auditors have the opportunity to advance to positions such as Senior IT Auditor and IT Audit Manager.
The field of information technology is continually growing as businesses become more innovative. Organizations across all sectors are becoming more reliant on information technology, which means IT Auditors will continue to be essential employees.
According to the industry website Computer Science Online, mobile technology, data security, and big data will be the core components of most organizations’ infrastructure, products, and services. IT Auditors will be integral in assessing these ever-changing components to ascertain an organization’s existing risks and controls.
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment in the IT Auditor field should grow six percent from 2018 to 2028. This growth rate is about as fast as average for all occupations.
Typical hours for this position are from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday, in an office setting.
Where You Can Find Jobs
Are You Interested in Becoming an IT Auditor?
Here at 4 Corner Resources, we will connect you to one of our headhunters or recruiters to see if you are a perfect fit for one of our job openings. If a job opening does not suit you, we will always keep you in mind as new positions open up. We have vast experience connecting professionals with some of the most well-known organizations in the country. Your next job or career path can be right around the corner. Check out our latest open positions and our blog for career advice. Feel free to contact us at any time.