HRIS Managers manage and oversee an organization’s Human Resources Information System (HRIS). They maintain internal database files and develop custom reports to meet the requirements of company management and staff. HRIS Managers are responsible for ensuring that an organization has the systems it requires to ensure the HR division’s operational efficiency. That requires HRIS Managers to be able to install, implement, modify, and upgrade HR software, and train colleagues in its use.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities
- Install, implement, modify, and upgrade software and applications
- Provide technical support, troubleshooting, and guidance to HR employees
- Maintain the integrity of data held within the HRIS
- Oversee the daily operation of the HR department
- Process employee data, such as leaves, wages, and working hours
Education and Background
This position requires a bachelor’s degree in Information Technology or Human Resource Management. Some employers prefer that job candidates have a master’s degree for certain positions and career advancement.
Skills and Competencies
- Expertise in written and verbal communication
- Robust organizational skills
- Keen attention to detail
- Excellent time management skills with proven ability to meet deadlines
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Well-developed leadership skills
- Thorough understanding of database construction
- Ability to build relationships internally and with clients
- Familiarity and some experience with UltiPro or other HRIS/payroll software
- Exceptional computer skills and proficiency with HR systems
According to Payscale the median annual salary of an HRIS Manager with
1 Year of Experience:
- Orlando, Florida: $78,000
- Tampa, Florida: $80,000
- Jacksonville, Florida: $77,000
- Miami, Florida: $80,000
- Atlanta, Georgia: $80,000
- Chicago, Illinois: $72,000
- Houston, Texas: $89,000
- Los Angeles, California: $85,000
- New York City, New York: $100,000
- Seattle, Washington: $81,000
- Overall: $84,000
5 Years of Experience:
- Orlando, Florida: $85,000
- Tampa, Florida: $83,000
- Jacksonville, Florida: $81,000
- Miami, Florida: $90,000
- Atlanta, Georgia: $106,000
- Chicago, Illinois: $105,000
- Houston, Texas: $120,000
- Los Angeles, California: $105,000
- New York City, New York: $118,000
- Seattle, Washington: $106,000
- Overall: $103,000
- HRIS Operations Manager
- Manager of HRIS
- Director of IT Infrastructure
- Engineering Manager
- Computer and Information Systems Manager
- IT Security Manager
- IT Manager
This position requires a bachelor’s degree in Information Technology or Human Resource Management, although a master’s degree is generally preferred. An HRIS Manager will typically advance to more executive positions such as HRIS Director or Top HRIS Executive after years of experience.
According to Forbes, one trend that will affect HR sectors is the expansion of AI. The workforce will be considered “blended,” where humans and bots are working together. By 2021 25 percent of workers should use a virtual employee assistant daily, which is a two percent increase from the previous year. Given that trend, knowing how to orient, develop, engage, and work side by side with a bot will be the newest skillset.
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, human resource managers’ employment should grow seven percent from 2018 to 2028. That growth rate is faster than the average for all occupations.
The typical work hours for an HRIS Manager are from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.
Where You Can Find Jobs
Are You Interested in Becoming an HRIS Manager?
Here at 4 Corner Resources, we will connect you to one of our headhunters or recruiters to see if you are a perfect fit for one of our job openings. If a job opening does not suit you, we will always keep you in mind as new positions open up. We have vast experience connecting professionals with some of the most well-known organizations in the country. Your next job or career path can be right around the corner. Check out our latest open positions and our blog for career advice. Feel free to contact us at any time.