Enrollment Specialists enroll students in schools and other educational facilities. Their responsibilities include student administration, co-ordination, and research as well as directing, planning, and conducting educational activities at universities, community colleges, post-secondary institutions, junior colleges, high schools, and elementary schools. Some Enrollment Specialists focus on adult education or career counseling, thereby helping students enter the job market.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities
- Answer questions, handle issues, and provide detailed information to students on school requirements, processes, and policies
- Collect data to qualify candidates for programs, services, or courses
- Ensure applications are completed correctly, with the required supporting materials
- Enter, update, and review records
- Provide guidance and recommendations to current and prospective students
- Process enrollments and withdrawals
- Assist with billing and payment processing
- Conduct information sessions
- Participate in school activities
- Promote the school in the community by participating in meetings or events, and building relationships
- Administer, plan, and control budgets, produce financial reports, and maintain their records
- Recruit, hire, train, evaluate, and terminate supporting staff
- Assess and collect tuition fees
Education and Background
This position requires a bachelor’s degree in administration or counseling, and at least one year of prior experience in the field. Most schools also require counseling experience.
Skills and Competencies
- Excellent communication and written skills
- Expertise in customer service
- Knowledge and experience in the education system
- Strong organizational, time-management, and multitasking abilities
- Keen attention to detail
- Excellent administrative skills
- Robust computer and database skills
According to Payscale the median annual salary of an Enrollment Specialist with
1 Year of Experience:
- Orlando, Florida: $39,000
- Tampa, Florida: $38,000
- Jacksonville, Florida: $36,000
- Miami, Florida: $40,000
- Atlanta, Georgia: $45,000
- Chicago, Illinois: $48,000
- Houston, Texas: $49,000
- Los Angeles, California: $50,000
- New York City, New York: $50,000
- Seattle, Washington: $45,000
- Overall: $45,000
5 Years of Experience:
- Orlando, Florida: $44,000
- Tampa, Florida: $45,000
- Jacksonville, Florida: $47,000
- Miami, Florida: $45,000
- Atlanta, Georgia: $50,000
- Chicago, Illinois: $61,000
- Houston, Texas: $65,000
- Los Angeles, California: $59,000
- New York City, New York: $67,000
- Seattle, Washington: $53,000
- Overall: $55,000
- Admissions Counselor
- Academic Advisor
- Case Manager
The path to becoming an Enrollment Specialist starts with earning a bachelor’s degree in either administration or counseling, preferably following by a master’s degree. As for work experience, employers require at least one year of experience in the field. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, some states also require job candidates to have experience as a teacher.
Rising student enrollment in schools should increase demand for Enrollment Specialists and School Counselors. The market for career counseling should also increase in universities as a growing number of campuses open on-site career centers to help students develop skills and prepare for the transition to the workforce. Enrollment Specialists also will be needed to assist those who change careers, help laid-off workers find employment, and support military personnel transition into the civilian job market.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the job market for Enrollment Specialists should grow at eight percent, which is faster than the national average of all occupations.
Most Enrollment Specialists in the education sector work regular weekday office hours from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. in an office setting.
Where You Can Find Jobs
- 4 Corner Resources
- Career Builder
- Zip Recruiter
- American Marketing Association
Are You Interested in Becoming an Enrollment Specialist?
We will connect you to one of our headhunters or recruiters to see if you are a perfect fit for one of our job openings. If a job opening does not suit you, we will always keep you in mind as new positions open up. We have vast experience connecting professionals with some of the most well-known organizations in the country. Your next job or career path can be right around the corner. Check out our latest job openings and our blog for career advice.
Feel free to contact us at any time.